Frequent Freezing

Started by Torenico, February 27, 2021, 01:40:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Torenico

Hello.

So yesterday I came across this problem with Rimworld. The game is running incredibly well, my colony is big, it has a lot of pawns and animals. However, since yesterday, the game freezes for about 3/4 seconds every 6 game hours, I've counted them. The first freeze is at 00 hours, next at 6 hours, 12 hours, 18 hours and it begins again.

The ingame log doesn't show anything of particular interest, when the freeze is about to come no error shows up, nada. The only thing that happened since the freezing began is that the game, somehow, lost all sounds at one point (I was messing around with audio quality in my Realtek software because I have a lot of crackling sounds when I listen to music and stuff), but that was fixed by restarting the PC. That same day two mods received an update, the mod that allows you to manage different colonies (I have one main colony and a small post in a mountain) and the one that allows you to build roads, interestingly enough the freezes began after these mods updated. Both were deactivated, but to no avail.

How can I identify and solve this issue? It has to be something because it happens every 6 hours, it can't be a coincidence, something has to be updating every 6 hours, checking for something and freezing the game. It also can't be a performance issue, because the game runs very very smoothly. Help?

Alenerel

Is your save big? Id recommend this mod if it is:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2228430510

I click on remove corpses in the map, delete battle log, sweep animal family and delete dead pawns (this last three times until the number doesnt change). Be aware that the first one will remove all corpses in the map, including dead animals in the freezer (not sure about sarcophagi or tombs).
I can tell you that when Im 4-5 years into the game this does charms for me. Sometimes I save and load the game and it works even better.

Altho this will only work if the problem is that just the save is too big. If its something else (something bugged), I doubt this will help.
And just to be sure, check that you dont have any inaccessible spot (all walled up), that sometimes really lags the game.

Torenico

Quote from: Alenerel on February 27, 2021, 06:20:42 AM
Is your save big? Id recommend this mod if it is:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2228430510

I click on remove corpses in the map, delete battle log, sweep animal family and delete dead pawns (this last three times until the number doesnt change). Be aware that the first one will remove all corpses in the map, including dead animals in the freezer (not sure about sarcophagi or tombs).
I can tell you that when Im 4-5 years into the game this does charms for me. Sometimes I save and load the game and it works even better.

Altho this will only work if the problem is that just the save is too big. If its something else (something bugged), I doubt this will help.
And just to be sure, check that you dont have any inaccessible spot (all walled up), that sometimes really lags the game.

My save is about 30mb? 40mb? Something like that, so I guess it's not that big?

I've uninstalled Psychology, apparently it's not well updated for 1.12 and it's causing problems. The freeze every 6 hours is still there but much much smaller, just a small tick. I must learn how to properly uninstal Psychology though, it breaks my "Social" tab on colonists.

But I think I made some progress.

Alenerel

I think 30mb of a save is big enough to cause noticeable lag