Need a “No Foraging” Option for Caravans

Started by Barley, March 15, 2021, 09:01:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barley

This is an admittedly very niche fatal situation, but it's worth noting. While on the way back from a trade mission, my Caravan has to pass through a Toxic Atmosphere produces by a Mech Hive my tribals were too weak to assault. On the way back to our new colony, the colonists foraged for berries and -oh what do you know- got food poisoning. The food poisoning slowed them down to the point where the caravan DIED before it could leave the toxic area and the kicker was They had emergency food. Kibble, yes. But Kibble was safe at least!

I really think we need a way to disable Foraging in areas where you can't afford to sit around and wait to overcome the consequences of raw berries. Right now the best we can do is micro the caravan and force them to drop any collected food off the ground. Maybe this could also speed up the caravan slightly since they don't stop to pick berries? Frankly that might be too powerful though.

Alenerel

Idoubt that toxic fallout poisons berries. Probably they got poisoned by just the chance of the berries

About the topic itself, just restrict your pawns to a food policy where berries are excluded

Umaro

Quote from: Barley on March 15, 2021, 09:01:11 AM
But Kibble was safe at least!

As far as I know, Kibble has 2% chance of food poisoning, like any raw food (exceptions being chocolate and hay).
Corpses (technically raw food) have 5% chance.

You can check these values in
Dev mode > Open Debug login menu > Food Poison Chances.

When you see poisonable by cook, there are 2 factors:

1. A chance depending on the cook's skill level (a level 20 cook has 0.1% chance, a level 0 has 5%). Technically Nutrient Paste also can be poisoned by cooks, but since they don't actually cook them, it makes them the only meal that is never poisoned.

2. A (linear or curved) chance depending on the cleanliness of the room where the cooking happened:

• Above -2 cleanliness, 0% food poisoning.
    Note that soil has a cleanliness of -1, so no chance. Soil can't get dirty (well, dirtier, it's already dirt) by humans or animals, but blood and vomit will lower the cleanliness.
  • From -2 to -3.5 cleanliness, chance goes from 0 to 2.5%
  • From -3.5 to -5 cleanliness, chance goes from 2.5% to a maximum of 5%

I don't know if those chances are added (for a possible max of 10%), or if they are rolled independently (example: a level 0 cook has 95% to cook safe meals, and of those 95% 5% can still be poisoned because of cleanliness, for a possible max of 9.75%)

As Alenerel said, Toxic fallout does not affect raw food, and you can manage humans's food restrictions.
Here is the wiki for all its effects, on animals/humans/plants:
https://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Events_Guide#Toxic_fallout

Concerning animals, herbivores graze on grass (free food and 0% chance poisoning), I guess it could be useful for non grazers, since if they get sick it slows their movement speed and the movement speed of the whole caravan (and possibility to miscarriage), but it would only work with Nutrient Paste anyway...
There are mods to manage animal's food.