How does one use baseBodySize and drawSize for animal sizes?

Started by Xercaine, March 18, 2021, 05:27:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xercaine

Hello! I'm doing some touch-up work on my mods, and I came across an area that I feel was done incorrectly, relating to the size of animals.

When defining the size of an animal, I see that most vanilla animals have the drawSize in lifeStages often set to 1.5 in the final stage. Does this mean that the size set in baseBodySize becomes 150% when its fully grown? Or am I interpreting this incorrectly?

I guess my question is, could someone explain to me how these two tags work and how to use them correctly? Any input is greatly appreciated!  ;D

RawCode

copy paste same animal two or more times
set drawSize or any other value to something different
spawn both animals and compare actual effects

plan b
change value
make screenshot
change value
make screenshot
compare screenshots

and there are no such term as "correct usage" in your specific case:
correct usage is making sprites in very specific size\resolution\dpi\whatever to implement very specific hardware related optimizations and scale "same size" sprites at rendering stage to whatever size you want.

this is not applicable for unity based games and games in general.
actually this is not applicable at all, times of very limited hardware resources long gone.

Xercaine

Wow, thanks, can't believe I didn't think about that! Great troubleshooting method.

From what I've found out from testing, if anyone else was wondering this:
* It seems that baseBodySize defines what size the animal is considered for internal purposes such as how likely it is to hit, and how much it can haul as a pack animal.
* drawSize seems to be mostly, if not only, for visual purposes. Aka how big the animal will APPEAR, regardless of its baseBodySize.

Both may be wrong to some extent, just saying, so don't quote me on this. I'm living and learning :)