How to Create a Settings Page for Mod

Started by jabbamonkey, April 20, 2021, 02:12:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jabbamonkey

I was hoping to upgrade my mod... At the moment, the mod just replaces the textures for a TON of items in the game. Alot of people love the textures, but occasionally someone will say something like, "Can you create a mod just with User Interface Icons" .... Or, "Can you create a mod without the statue textures?"

So.... I'd like to have a mod setting page (similar to other mods), where users can "deactivate" some of the texture changes. For example, some people don't like my "statue" textures. So, I'd like them to be able to go into the settings page, and  "disable" the texture replacements for the statues (by "unchecking" that line item). 

Now, the problem is, I don't even know where to start with this. Is there a tutorial for this kind of things? (a VERY BASIC tutorial, because I'm a designer, and not a true programmer)   :)

Or, ideally, has someone does this for a few textures, and have an example out there that I can "tweak"?  Let me know...

LWM

Actually, that sort of thing would probably be easy with the XML settings engine Nobo built for Project RimFactory.  In general, there needs to be some link between Settings - which are C#-based, and def patches, which are XML.

If no one else comes up with a useful suggestion, we can see about factoring out the engine to a support mod (which we have talked about doing anyway), and then you could use it?

arkyte

I would start by searching for a really simple mod that has settings. That way it would be really easy to discern the settings part in the assembly and the actual mod part.