[Mod] Xandalorians (WiP)

Started by SmartCheetah, August 14, 2014, 11:55:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SmartCheetah

Howdy folks!

Well, I'm new to modding 2d games, that's for sure. Still, I wanted to create something for myself, to improve my overall experience with RimWorld. Therefore...

I'm trying to create a mod which will add few events, new persistent "faction" loosely based on Mandalorians, few different types of helmets, body armor and maybe weapons (Altough, project armory is doing magnificent job on that field!)

So far I managed to add an armor+helmet for one of the planned "clans" of Xandalorians. You can't get them without cheating...yet.

Currents plans are:
- More art for different clans, few different types of helmets and armor (Slightly different for squad leaders)
- Events (Xando slave raids, Peaceful Xando visits, Assassination attempts, Battles between two different clans on your territory, wounded Xando drop pod)
- Custom art for Xandalorian ships
- Some lore, altough nothing too deep.
- Backgrounds for Xandalorian characters (eg. Xandalorian slaver)

If you like the idea and want to help me somehow (create the events or more art) feel free to drop me a PM. I'm also interested in working with different modder groups!

Bog

If you come up with some weapons that you want and post a list of them here I might make some of them for Project Armoury, then you can use them in your mod.

I think our next release will already have the EE-3 blaster carbine in it. (Boba Fett's gun)

As far as making factions, here's some tips from my experience with making Divergence of Civilization. (currently unreleased)

So far as I can tell you can't make new tech levels for new factions. The work around I have for this is making new unique gun tags. It's pretty easy to do that. In the PawnKinds_(factionnamehere).hml files the individual pawns have a <weaponsTags> section, you can put whatever you want in there and if a weapon is given the same tag they'll be able to start with it.

You can get creative on that front. For example you could make both a "Xandalorian_Warrior" and a "Xandalorian_Warlord" tag. Then the two pawn types can each have their own list of weapons that they use. I think that the Mechanoids are already this way, with the Scyther useing <weaponsTags>MediumMechanoidGun</weaponsTags> and the Centipede using <weaponsTags>HeavyMechanoidGun</weaponsTags> or something along those lines.

You can also use it to make your different pawns come from different clans, each with their own hairstyles, armour and weapons. I think that'd be pretty cool. ;D

Also, so far Tynan hasn't made a way to mod custom character backgrounds in. So for the time being you'll have to just make the factions without that extra flavour. If we get enough people making custom factions though, it might give Tynan enough incentive to make it available.

Edit: You inspired me to also make the Sacros K-11, Boba Fett's sidearm. Hopefully it'll be in project armoury's next release. Update: The K-11 didn't make the release. Our Mantis was down when I made it, and forgot to add it after it went back up again so it "slipped between the cracks". :P So I guess you'll have to wait for the next release if you want it. Sorry. :-[
Divergence of Civilization Lead Developer (in this case that's the fancy way of saying "Only Developer")

Project Armoury Developer (New huge 2.13 Release now live!)

Dragoon

cool if he makes it so they can have custom backgrounds and we use the randomizer to have both normal and xandos ?
Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

Bog

Quote from: Dragoon on August 15, 2014, 01:40:16 PM
cool if he makes it so they can have custom backgrounds and we use the randomizer to have both normal and xandos ?
Well because custom backgrounds aren't available yet, I can't say for sure, so this is all speculation. But in my experience with Tynan's way of doing things I imagine there'll be something like a <BackgroundType> </BackgroundType> line in the pawnkinds .hml files where you can put whatever type of background you want. (Tribal, Medieval, Spacer, Xandalorian, etc.)

Then you might have a CharacterBackgrounds.hml file where you could correlate the different background "stories" to the background types.

Hopefully he woks on it soon so we can have fun exploring it. ;D
Divergence of Civilization Lead Developer (in this case that's the fancy way of saying "Only Developer")

SmartCheetah

Thanks for tips Bog! They helped me a lot!

So far, I've made some corrections and started working on pawns and factions. Actually, both pawns (just 3 types for now. I'm planning to make officers etc. dressed in different clothes, weapons etc.), and their simple dress code are already in. Also, I can easily make it to generate 2-3 corresponding clans which are at war with each other.

Those things aren't that hard really. There is a lot of playing and tuning if you want to keep it balanced, but that will be taken care of on later date.

For now my priority will be creating more art for things used by these pawns. Therefore, I'll probably concentrate on making "fluff" new-faction mod instead of huge thing with gazillion events and stuff.

Faction screen:

A "little" visit of friendly clan:

EDIT:

Little WiP on prototype caped armor

Not sure If I'd finish and use it tho'

Dragoon

I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

mrofa

Wouldnt want to see them raiding my colony :D
All i do is clutter all around.

SmartCheetah

New helmets:

Hooded needs more work on the back side. The darker one with red visor is actually Mk2 (It would have different armor alltogether)

After I'm finished with Mk2 and caped armor, I will probably release first version of this mod ^^" Stay tuned!

Bog

We just released the new version of Project Armoury, so there are a few more Star Wars weapons now available. ;D

SmartCheetah

Meow!
Little update, as I'm slowly moving to the other city and can't really finish all the stuff :-/

Already finished the armor for commandos. Therefore, art for first version is fully finished(I guess I'll try to improve it with time)
For now it comes with 3 types of armor and 3 helmets.

TODO v0.6 (Most probably first release)
- More classes for Xandalorians.
- Different weapon sets for those classes(Most probably including those from Project Armory)
- Little more balancing

Dragoon

I hope your moving is going easy.

Dragoon

tresflores

bro could you update this it looks amazing and your staring to scare us with the whole not updating in  months

SmartCheetah

Didn't have time to work on this project and I'm not really fond of getting back to it.
If any active modder is interested in very old files + sprites I made, I can share them with you. :) Try to catch me on PM or in this thread.

skyarkhangel

Quote from: SmartCheetah on November 08, 2015, 10:55:48 AM
Didn't have time to work on this project and I'm not really fond of getting back to it.
If any active modder is interested in very old files + sprites I made, I can share them with you. :) Try to catch me on PM or in this thread.

it would be good  :)