[Suggestion] Personality Psytrainers: modifying traits

Started by AnActualDuck, June 23, 2021, 06:27:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnActualDuck

I was thinking, given that psytrainers already allow for skills and ability, why not have them modify traits. Seems fitting. "Psytrainer: Careful shooter" self explanatory I think. If colonist doesn't have max traits, it just adds the trait. If colonist has max traits it replaces a trait at random, offering some slight risk to using it.

I could think of other fun ways to expand on this, like a brain implant that gives an additional trait slot. "Memory eraser" surgery items that allow you to remove a trait of your choosing. Or, instead of psytrainers for traits, the entire thing could be shifted to brain surgery using "Personality chips." Modifying traits seems like a relatively untapped modding area unless I'm seriously overlooking it. I can find a few neat ones, but I definitely think it has a lot more potential.

I am dumb otherwise I'd consider making this mod myself, if anyone out there with the skills to mod finds this idea interesting and opts to make it let me know! I'd be thrilled to see it.

Qarsoon Meel

I don't think it would be that difficult to mod at all. It is an interesting concept but I think it would make the game much easier. Imagine you have a pyromaniac colonist. You could just replace this trait what would not only remove the challenge aspect of managing a pyromaniac but also give some positives to it (such as a trait you mentioned - Careful Shooter).

For me RimWorld is about the story not min/maxing for everything. Things such as scars, traits and passions are unchangeable (except for Luciferium which introduces big risks). As one of the tips from the loading screen says: Some colonists are worse than useless. Bad allies are part of the challenge. When accepting new colonist I would no longer look at their trait. Traits such as Depressive or Tortured Artist would no longer pose such a threat.

I'm pretty sure there is a mod that increases the number of trait slots by default, so colonist can have up to 5 traits I think.

I have experience with RimWorld code so if you want to go ahead yourself with creating something like this then hit me up if you need some help. All you need is a basic knowledge of C# (or any other language, syntax is easy to learn if you understand how code works). Just please, don't ever consider yourself too stupid for something, or "that's not for me" approach. I used to think that I'm a "math guy" and I would avoid doing anything regarding any other subject such as history, religion, art. I was forced at some point in my life to try it and I'm happy that I did. I started to enjoy reading about  philosophy or making 2D graphics in Photoshop. If I haven't got out of this mindset I would never try and I would be stuck in programming and accounting. It is all in your head. Again, if you feel some attraction to coding and you would like to start let me know and I can explain some basic concepts of RimWorlds code :>