[MOD] (Alpha 6) More Biomes v0.95

Started by ItchyFlea, August 14, 2014, 09:13:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

daft73

It's been some time since I last logged in....Great to see your still doing quality works ItchyFlea ;). This looks nice.

Baleur

Any chance adding a mirror to this on nexus, or even just upload it directly here in the forums?

LORDPrometheus

Quote from: Baleur on September 03, 2014, 12:04:46 AM
Any chance adding a mirror to this on nexus, or even just upload it directly here in the forums?

not to be rude or anything but what's wrong with Mediafire?

ItchyFlea

Quote from: Baleur on September 03, 2014, 12:04:46 AM
It's too large to post here, and I don't really want to upload this to other mod hosting websites.
If you're unable to download things from Mediafire, I could probably upload a copy somewhere else.
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International
Ask for permission before using in ModPacks

Click here for a list of the mods I've created

Geoblazer5

Hi this mod looks great but when i start a new colony it still says biome not implemented on boreal forest and tundra. help?

ItchyFlea

Quote from: Geoblazer5 on September 13, 2014, 09:23:28 PM
Hi this mod looks great but when i start a new colony it still says biome not implemented on boreal forest and tundra. help?
Did you activate the mod via the mod menu?
All my mods are licensed under a Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International

Geoblazer5

Quote from: ItchyFlea on September 13, 2014, 09:57:36 PM
Quote from: Geoblazer5 on September 13, 2014, 09:23:28 PM
Did you activate the mod via the mod menu?
Yeah i activated it.

ItchyFlea

Are you using other mods with this? If yes, that may be the issue. A different mod is probably (and for no reason at all) modifying the biome definitions for non-implemented biomes, overriding the changes this one makes to them allowing you to land in them.

Only thing I can suggest is deactivate this mod in-game, redownload it, then reactivate it in-game.

Geoblazer5

Quote from: ItchyFlea on September 14, 2014, 05:27:10 PM
Are you using other mods with this? If yes, that may be the issue. A different mod is probably (and for no reason at all) modifying the biome definitions for non-implemented biomes, overriding the changes this one makes to them allowing you to land in them.

Only thing I can suggest is deactivate this mod in-game, redownload it, then reactivate it in-game.
Thxs but do you have any idea which mods might be interfering? i have most of the bigger mods ex. clutter, project armoury, rimrats, alpha muffalo, etc.

ItchyFlea

Quote from: Geoblazer5 on September 14, 2014, 06:14:02 PM
Thxs but do you have any idea which mods might be interfering? i have most of the bigger mods ex. clutter, project armoury, rimrats, alpha muffalo, etc.
There is no way of knowing without downloading then checking each individual mod you use, and even if I found the problem, only the author of the offending mod could fix it, if a fix is possible. While I'm pretty sure a fix is possible in this case, the offending mod might have a good reason for modifying the biome definitions.

Igabod

Quote from: ItchyFlea on September 14, 2014, 07:08:14 PM
Quote from: Geoblazer5 on September 14, 2014, 06:14:02 PM
There is no way of knowing without downloading then checking each individual mod you use, and even if I found the problem, only the author of the offending mod could fix it, if a fix is possible. While I'm pretty sure a fix is possible in this case, the offending mod might have a good reason for modifying the biome definitions.

I encountered the same problem and disabled T's Better Crops mod and it works fine.

As for my appraisal of the mod, I only started a game in each of the new biomes and didn't play or anything so this is an incomplete opinion of it. But from what I saw it looks really nice. There needs to be at least a few sources of wood in the tundra and ice sheet maps though. As far as I could tell there wasn't a single tree in either biome on my test games. There are several types of trees on earth that grow in Tundra. And on an alien world you could possibly find some sort of tree that thrives on ice sheets despite the fact that there are no real world examples that I can think of.

I'll be giving these biomes a full play through soon and will have a better review then. Keep up the good work. Can't wait to see what you do with the rainforest biome.

[Edit to add] T has a better crops compatibility mod that you can use instead of the standard better crops mod. This will fix the issues regarding this mod.

ItchyFlea

I've had a look at his mod and I see why the incompatibility is occurring. The solution is to deactivate my mod, leave the mod menu, go back into it and reactivate my mod. That will solve the compatibility issue without having to use a compatibility patch. As long as my mod is activated *after* his mod, there will be no conflicts.

Igabod

After playing a full game on the Boreal Forest biome, my review for it is that it is awesome. Everything looks great and performs as well as can be expected bar a few minor things.

In the areas where there are lots of trees all beside each other there is a very noticeable graphics glitch where the trees all along a couple rows flash (usually only 2 or 3 rows per viewable area on 1920p).

The birds look flat when they walk in the southern direction.

And eventually the birds eat all the blueberries on the map and then die off in large numbers from starvation.

Aside from these minor problems I saw nothing negative to comment on. I thoroughly enjoyed playing on that biome and will do so again even if you do nothing to change the things I mentioned.

As for suggestions for how to improve upon it, it could benefit from more varieties of animals as well as the birds. Throwing some deer in there would be a good fit if you don't feel like adding more new ones. And possibly another food source that grows wild that the birds and deer won't eat up.

I'll be giving the other two biomes a full play through soon (though I'm very doubtful as to how well I will do with no sources of wood) and will offer my feedback on those as well.

Thanks for taking the time to put this mod together. I am very impressed with your work.

ItchyFlea

Quote from: Igabod on October 01, 2014, 09:55:47 AM
-snip-
Thanks. :)

I'm not sure if I'll be able to do anything about the trees, but the blueberries I can look into.
The birds will look odd as they are using placeholder textures. They will be replaced with proper textures at some point in the future. :)

Now that A7 is out, an update for this will come soon.

Kolljak

Quote from: ItchyFlea on October 01, 2014, 04:46:52 PM
Quote from: Igabod on October 01, 2014, 09:55:47 AM
-snip-
Thanks. :)

I'm not sure if I'll be able to do anything about the trees, but the blueberries I can look into.
The birds will look odd as they are using placeholder textures. They will be replaced with proper textures at some point in the future. :)

Now that A7 is out, an update for this will come soon.

Do you know if this works with 7 or do we have to wait for you to update?