Hit and run pirate raid

Started by Skaven252, July 31, 2014, 02:19:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skaven252

"Buttrock" is my small-ish, slowly growing colony (newbie slowness, I'm not yet in the stage of super optimizing everything). It had just barely recovered from a mechanoid attack when I got a warning of a group of Bomb Rhinos raider attack. I hit pause and checked out their intentions. Their intentions were mostly "igniting metal wall" and one "melee attacking bed". What's that, a bed hater?

After they reached my base there was a brief firefight and one of my colonists got incapacitated and was promptly rescued. I have no idea what was on the raiders' mind but they just kept moving north past my colony, out of the map. Yet I received no notification of them fleeing.

But it got better. One of the raiders made her way into the building and tried to kidnap the incapacitated colonist (a recruited merc from an earlier raid). She tried to get out through a powered door and just kept bashing it while carrying the captive. I wasn't sure how friendly fire works in this case, so I ordered two of my colonists to melee attack the captor. It was a bit weird watching the raider bashing a door while carrying a captive, all the while two colonists were beating her with melee attacks. Eventually she fell and I captured her for recruitment.

When it was over, only two raiders had been shot dead, and the rest had just ran through the colony and left through the north edge of the map. I was left wondering what the hell had just happened.

Is this a specific type of raid AI behavior or a glitch? I'm not really sure. :)

Coenmcj

Well isn't that interesting. I don't think I've seen that happen before.

Alpha 5 I presume?
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

Damien Hart

Raiders can break and flee individually, without the game flagging the entire group as fleeing, so that may be what happened with your runners.

Skaven252

Quote from: CoenmcjAlpha 5 I presume?

Yes indeed. This happened in 0.5.496.

Coenmcj

Quote from: Damien Hart on August 07, 2014, 06:51:47 AM
Raiders can break and flee individually, without the game flagging the entire group as fleeing, so that may be what happened with your runners.

That may be true, but it changes the colour of the name to a light blue I think.

Quote from: Skaven252 on August 07, 2014, 04:44:13 PM
Quote from: CoenmcjAlpha 5 I presume?

Yes indeed. This happened in 0.5.496.

If the name isn't changing colour that sounds a bit like a bug. have you got a save with it happening or able to reproduce this at all?

StorymasterQ

Something like that happened with StuffPlus' LP recently. A raider group showed up with mortars on the top left of his map, while he built his camp on the lower left.

After an episode or two of exchanging mortar shots, the raiders came for the offensive. One of the raiders skipped the front door entirely and skirted off the base on the unbuildable part of the map. His name turned light blue as Coen mentioned, and he is identified as Fleeing.

He was subsequently gunned down :)

The LP ended with a mechanoid attack, flame thrower against wooden buildings. GG.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

Skaven252

Took me a while to get back to this topic. I decided to launch this older version and load the saved game where the pirate raid occurred.

Turns out I had missed a notification, which now happened again: "The pirates from The Bomb Rhinos decide to kidnap who they can and leave."

So it was an actual AI decision made by the pirates. For some reason, that earlier time this same battle occurred, they decided to do so almost immediately after their attack had begun, which resulted most of the pirates just running through the colony and one attempting to kidnap the only colonist that had been incapacitated (and already rescued).

milon

Hehe - I had that happen once.  There was a pod crash, and a rather useless pawn tumbled out.  He landed on the east edge of the map, and seconds later a HUGE tribal group showed up right on top of the guy.  After milling around a bit, the tribals grabbed the unlucky fellow and made off with him.  I was pretty pleased, myself.  (Thanks Randy!)  :D

Coenmcj

Ah, that would explain it, Missing a notification.
Poor people, getting kidnapped kinda sucks.
Especially by the cannibalistic raiders. D: