[1.3.3056] Medicine preferences are overridden by carried medicine

Started by weekendwarrior, July 11, 2021, 08:40:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

weekendwarrior

How to reproduce:
1) Go to Assign tab and set a doctor to carry 3x herbal medicine.
2) Have an injured pawn and set his medicine preferences to industrial medicine.
3) Get the doctor from 1) to treat the pawn from 2).
4) Observe that the doctor uses his carried (herbal) medicine.

Pheanox

Thanks for the bug report, this has been reported and documented and under review!

Aski

When a doctor has herbal medicine (and presumably any other medicine) in their inventory they will use that instead of any other the patient pawn is set to.

For example, a doctor has herbal medicine in inv. the patient is set to be tended to by glitterworld medicine in his medical bed because of winning infection doctor will tend to the pawn with herbal from his inv dooming that pawn to die to infection

Possible solution:
---
Have 2 separate commands for doctorig
"stabilize" use anything on had or even no med but close those bleeding wounds
"tend" use propper medicine the pawn is set to
---
have doctor tend with whatever right there and then when the doctor is drafted
"stabilize them don't care how just do it"

Have them properly tend to patients while undrafted
"use what youre supposed to use"
---

ShadowTani

This is a duplicate of this topic: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=54482.0

Though,  the suggestion of having a choice between using what's immediately available (at least when it comes to stopping bleeding), or sticking to the prescribed medicine (if better and available), is agreeable and would be welcome in regards to improved control and reduced micro.

Strill

If a doctor is carrying medicine, and they treat a hospital patient, they use their carried medicine, instead of using the medical care assigned to that patient.  For example, if they are carrying herbal medicine, but the patient is assigned to receive glitterworld medicine, the doctor will use the herbal medicine from their inventory instead.

Doctors should use their carried medicine when responding to player orders to treat someone in the field, but they should use assigned medicine when treating a patient in the hospital.

How to reproduce:
I start up a new game, use dev mode to injure a colonist, place down a hospital bed and some herbal medicine and industrial medicine, and put the industrial medicine in a stockpile. I then tell the doctor to pick up the herbal medicine, and once I un-draft him, he immediately goes to treat the patient using herbal medicine instead of industrial medicine in the nearby stockpile.

zgrssd

Medicine is always up to. They are set to use up to Glitterworld medicine.

There is no clear game definition of Hospital.
And the better medicine might be too far away, so the patient could die before the tending even starts.
Did they have a stockpile or shelf of better medicine in the room, for quick access?

The game has to default for either "quickest treatment" or "best availible treatment" and either way might cause issues. I think quickest treatment causes less.

mlzovozlm

2 separate options would be nice
-tend with carried medicine
-tend by policy

Strill

Quote from: zgrssd on July 26, 2021, 04:12:16 AM
The game says the exact opposite. If I assign a colonist to receive glitterworld medicine, it's labeled "Best quality medicine". If I assign them industrial-tech medicine, it's labeled "Industrial-tech medicine or worse", not "up to industrial-tech medicine".

QuoteThere is no clear game definition of Hospital.
The game literally labels rooms "Hospital" when you turn on the room stats display.  Of course there's a definition of a hospital. It's any room with a bed marked for medical use.

zgrssd

Quote from: Strill on July 26, 2021, 06:13:29 AM
Quote from: zgrssd on July 26, 2021, 04:12:16 AM
The game says the exact opposite. If I assign a colonist to receive glitterworld medicine, it's labeled "Best quality medicine". If I assign them industrial-tech medicine, it's labeled "Industrial-tech medicine or worse", not "up to industrial-tech medicine".

QuoteThere is no clear game definition of Hospital.
The game literally labels rooms "Hospital" when you turn on the room stats display.  Of course there's a definition of a hospital. It's any room with a bed marked for medical use.
Please tell me where you think "up to industrail-tech medicine" and "Industrial-tech medicine or worse" differ in a logic check.
Because you see a difference, where I can see none.

Regardign Hospital:
1. Room classifications can overlap. What would happen if my medical beds are in my barracks? Or in the same room as the Research bench and the cooking spot?
2. How far should the Doctor go to get the best Medicine vs just using the availible medicine?