Stools & workbenches for efficient crafting

Started by TheWrongColonist, January 31, 2019, 04:29:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheWrongColonist

Before it used to be possible for you to place stools next to a workbench with resources on it and the crafter wouldn't have to move to get the resources, now i noticed that doesn't work anymore.

Was this mechanic removed from the game?

YokoZar

Relatedly, now that your pawn has to move onto and off of the workstation to gather ingredients, you should use a dining chair as the work chair -- unlike stools and armchairs, dining chairs have no move speed penalty.

TheWrongColonist

Quote from: YokoZar on February 01, 2019, 03:05:12 AM
Relatedly, now that your pawn has to move onto and off of the workstation to gather ingredients, you should use a dining chair as the work chair -- unlike stools and armchairs, dining chairs have no move speed penalty.
You are talking about when they move over it rigth? Because on the "...RimWorld\Mods\Core\Defs\ThingDefs_Buildings\Buildings_Furniture.xml" file all of them have the same pathCost of 30.

Stool line 644 <pathCost>30</pathCost>
DiningChair line 687 <pathCost>30</pathCost>
Armchair line 738 <pathCost>30</pathCost>

YokoZar

Quote from: TheWrongColonist on February 01, 2019, 12:44:06 PM
Quote from: YokoZar on February 01, 2019, 03:05:12 AM
You are talking about when they move over it rigth? Because on the "...RimWorld\Mods\Core\Defs\ThingDefs_Buildings\Buildings_Furniture.xml" file all of them have the same pathCost of 30.

Stool line 644 <pathCost>30</pathCost>
DiningChair line 687 <pathCost>30</pathCost>
Armchair line 738 <pathCost>30</pathCost>
Hmm I must have been mistaken.

Bolgfred

I stumbled over that issue aswell recently, and I am asking me why? For me it only makes sense to avoid moving on mass producing to allow a crafter focusing on his craft.

Is it correct that the functionality got removed completely? Is there any reason for it?
"The earth has only been lent to us,
but no one has said anything about returning."
-J.R. Van Devil

Canute

You need to ask the other way.
Why should stools work as stockpile and improve the crafter's range to grab resources.
That function was more a glitch then a feature. So the Devs adjust it so the stools is just a stool.

YokoZar

Note that the modern way to do this trick is to use shelves next to the workbenches, which is much more reasonable and aesthetic.