Medium Terrain does not exist?

Started by ovrsurge, July 18, 2021, 12:46:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ovrsurge

Playing a game in a swamp biome right now, wanted to play somewhere I haven't before but it's been a bit strange to build only heavy or light structures even though things like Solar Panels, Hydroponics Basins and all kinds of crafting benches like the Machining Table, Art Bench, Tailoring Benches and Smithies all require at least medium support. Also no room for Research Benches either.

Also Steel Barricades need medium terrain too (thinking about mech clusters.)

After I hovered over the visibility of terrain icon it made me even more confused.

It seems like some thought went into deciding roughly how much support certain buildings need, but none went into actually making that happen. I think it's an oversight because if you hover over the Terrain Affordance icon it has several mistakes.

First is that it says "Some types of ground only accept light or medium buildings, but not heavy ones."
As far as I can tell, there is no ground type that actually supports both light and medium. There is only light or all three. I'm playing in a swamp right now and not even swampy soil fits the medium category. It only supports light buildings.

There are a lot of structures that require medium terrain, but no middle ground that actually supports it. So they might as well have a heavy terrain requirement.

And secondly it states that bridges can only be built on water, while you can also make them on mud. I think the game even builds bridges over natural mud when it generates roads too.

The second one is a bit of a nitpick but the first seems like a accidental oversight. If you want medium terrain then you have to mod it in as far as I can tell. Bridges only support light structures like wooden walls too.

Am I just missing something here?

AileTheAlien

I think sand or maybe swamp was medium in an older version, but I might be mixing it up with some mods. I wouldn't want medium removed from the game, since it's so useful for mods. (I think I even made one myself over Xmas.) There's only a handful of affordances in the game and it's not overloaded with like twenty or something, so I'm happy with it being an option for mods!  : )