How do you guys train your colonists?

Started by ssying yy, July 09, 2021, 01:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ssying yy

Having given up on turrets (I hate them quite a bit... one molotov, and its basically a goner), I looked into other strategies... I currently employ a gauntlet thats made up from debris that gives me neat, near indestructible cover, while I deny the enemy even the sligthest bit.

However, this requires my guys to shoot vaguely straight - not something anyone could do with a measly 3 shooting skill.

I figured out four kinds of skillups:

Shoot people/animals: This is pretty straightforward, but probably leads to death. Muffalo's do not like being shot at.
Beat out fire: Its a bit odd, but shooting does rise quite a bit while colonists do this. May be a bug.
Fire on a stockpile with rubble/corpses/dead animals (take a fast shooting weapon with low range like pistol or uzi for that one). Skill raises, and destroys stuff to boot. (My favourite technique)
Draft everyone, give someone a molotov/incediary launcher, and torch the prairie. Mark the burning inferno as home zone. Undraft everone and let them do the firefighting again. Still a bug, but you dont have to wait for a short circuit or a dry thunderstorm. Might result in crispy colonists if you are not careful.

Unless we get training dummies, this might be all. Not sure if beating up prisoners would work too (as punching stuff raises brawling and shooting, and vice versa).

So, what do you guys do?

ebet

Boboid

Tame and then subsequently shoot elephants, rhinos, muffalos, or if you're feeling particularly spicy thrumbos. Basically anything with a lot of hit points per body part.
Preferably with something that doesn't do a lot of damage per shot to minimize the chance of instant death and delay the inevitable death by brain damage, machine pistols are a personal favorite. Melee weapons work too, same basic principle applies.

Tame animals will never fight back and additionally you can use them to train medicine.

I /think/ that the amount of xp rewarded for a given combat action is tied to the time it took to perform that action so every weapon should result in roughly the same amount of xp, but don't quote me on that. From experience the practical upshot of not having to constantly replace animals means that lower damage weapons are preferable regardless.

Do keep in mind that colonists without combat passions only get 35% xp, so it takes a lot of work.
Even a pawn with Fast Learner only gets ~61% xp. (100% x1.75 fast learner) x 0.35 No passion.
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

Alenerel

Is there even a need to train them shooting? At least in my case, the fact of them shooting enemies already gives them up to 15+ skill, without passions or anything.

However, I employ a small strategy, which is put into hunting everyone who is below level 10 shooting, and when they reach level 10 take them out of hunting. This until everyone is level 10, then take out hunting and just set the guy with less tasks to hunting.

Also have in mind which weapons you are using. Assault rifle is almost always the best case, with mini gun and charge rifle support. If you can, optimize the weapons and try to go for legendary weapons with your crafters/inspirations since they do more damage.

AncientGammoner

Just equip them with a smoke/EMP launcher and fire at a tamed animal (in a zoned area so it doesn't wander off)