[A11] Apothecarius FD - A11 FIXES - YOU NEED THOSE (19.06.2015)

Started by JuliaEllie, August 15, 2014, 07:01:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you use the hivemind system?

NO
YES

chaotix14

Quote from: Hayhorse on January 12, 2015, 08:21:17 PM
With this mod it seems to crash my game once enabled, any fixes? From what I can tell windows is loading it BEFORE the core folder in the mods folder no matter what. So I can change the load order to fix it, any known fixes?

Uhm, I believe there's a mod that manages the loading order floating around somewhere in the releases forum, but I can't remember the name. That mod might help, but you'll have to search for it, as I seem to be unable to recall in what thread exactly I saw it.

JuliaEllie

Quote from: chaotix14 on January 13, 2015, 02:36:23 AM
With this mod it seems to crash my game once enabled, any fixes? From what I can tell windows is loading it BEFORE the core folder in the mods folder no matter what. So I can change the load order to fix it, any known fixes?

Uhm, I believe there's a mod that manages the loading order floating around somewhere in the releases forum, but I can't remember the name. That mod might help, but you'll have to search for it, as I seem to be unable to recall in what thread exactly I saw it.

Imv sure you mean this :) hope it helps.

Hayhorse

Quote from: JuliaEllie on January 13, 2015, 06:00:24 AM
Quote from: chaotix14 on January 13, 2015, 02:36:23 AM

Imv sure you mean this :) hope it helps.

That didn't work, putting apothocarius below Core still brings me to a debug log in the top left of the screen (empty) and 3 buttons at the top of my screen that don't work. trying to launch the game after a restart (with apothocarius out) its fine, putting it back it starts to a black screen. BTW what mods is Apoth incompatible with?

Jdalt40

Hey I am just wondering but what do you need to craft the bill which makes the hive mind drones since I have all the resources needed for it but it is still not crafting. by the way the crafting recipe for me which is not crafting it is 400 silver and 1 medicine.

JuliaEllie

This happens because of the broken crafting system which cant tell the difference between "stuff" and "ingredients" - sorry about that. You can change the recipe file to 20 if you like to fix this. I will upload a fix tomorrow

Carnwennan

The hivemind system seemed pretty cool so I tried it out (after editing the silver requirement down to sensible levels) and it was great until a solar flare came around. I'd finished research so I'd chucked my scientist into the hive, I had 17 in Research before the flare and *5* in research afterwards. Other skills that were 8-12 dropped down to 3.

Safe to say, I'm not going to be using this any more :P It's a pretty neat concept, but I'm eehh on getting totally screwed over at random.

JuliaEllie

Thats the point of the game :D It screws you over whenever it feels like

Nirahiel

I installed drones cores into my pawns, does nothing. I have a hive mind core, each pawn still have their own skill, powering off the hive mind core doesn't seem to even affect the pawns at all ...

EDIT : nvm i created a new colony and it worked :)

JuliaEllie

Quote from: Nirahiel on January 19, 2015, 05:28:19 AM
I installed drones cores into my pawns, does nothing. I have a hive mind core, each pawn still have their own skill, powering off the hive mind core doesn't seem to even affect the pawns at all ...

EDIT : nvm i created a new colony and it worked :)

Yes the Hivemind uses a MapComponent and so you have to start a new colony to use it. I should start experimenting with creating MapComponents on already started colonies.. This will be a bloody mess :D

Kemono

Hi JuliaEllie!

I was wondering if you might make a version compatible with the "Mechanical Defense 2" mod. Contained within the mod are "Droids" and I would LOVE to use this and MD2 together, so far I haven't yet played with this mod on as it conflicts with MD2.

EDIT: I decided to try it out anyway, playing for HOURS and still don't have any drone cores, I made a bill for them, bought 50 meds from a trader and I've got 8k silver, honestly don't know why it's not spawning any drone cores.

Couldn't produce any, so gave up and spawned them in. Wasn't what I was expecting to be honest.

Improvements:
-Remove the "Can't clean because he's a medieval lord." limitations when you install a drone core into someone.
-Make the drones more like the ones from Star Trek, where they frolic in VR whilst their body walks around doing menial drone work. You can do this by removing character traits and adding in Fast-Walker, Psychopath and the Hard-Worker traits.
-Add elemental resistances to the drones. They can't feel the cold, so they shouldn't get a -5 for being cold. Though they can get sick/hypothermia, because their vessel is still flesh.
-For the love of God make it cheaper/quicker to build. It took hours to get up whilst battling everything else, there's really no point getting it at the end of the game when you've researched everything and have a fully functional colony. This has to be something you can get mid-game to make the end-game more enjoyable.
-Compatibility with MD2. So disappointing playing this mod when I know I can go play MD2 and get droids to roam around. At the same time I want MD2 to be able to have augmented humans so it's a technophile paradise.

My final score: 6/10

The whole medicine thing, I didn't use at all. No interest in it coming in, so I won't review that, but bundling a bunch of mods together is generally a bad idea, because you get junk mods you don't want to use. -2 for additional junk mods.

Good idea, good direction, just bad balancing. The drone cores appear too late in the game to be worth having the mod. Also, I'm not sure if this was meant to be played with vanilla, but saving up enough power so that my colony wouldn't go into standby mode every few minutes took a long time.
-2 for lack of balancing and depth.

I think I've been rather fair in my scoring, mod needs a good amount of work to make it "Wow" worthy, as it is now it really doesn't affect the game at all besides being a major waste of time / superficial goal to work towards.

Feniks

Does Soylent Green give people negative penalty like human meat when part of a meal?

SilverDragon

Quote from: Kemono on January 19, 2015, 08:11:18 PM
I was wondering if you might make a version compatible with the "Mechanical Defense 2" mod. Contained within the mod are "Droids" and I would LOVE to use this and MD2 together, so far I haven't yet played with this mod on as it conflicts with MD2.

What kind of compatibility issues are you running into, I'm currently running my Rimworld with 87 mods that include Apothecarius and MD2, with 0 errors or compatibility issues that I've noticed.

EDIT: I decided to try it out anyway, playing for HOURS and still don't have any drone cores, I made a bill for them, bought 50 meds from a trader and I've got 8k silver, honestly don't know why it's not spawning any drone cores.

This is an Alpha 8 issue where they made the Silver in recipes to be multiplied by 20, so instead of 400 silver for a drone core, it costs 8000 to make, which is impossible since they cant fit that much into the table so they end up running around the table trying to pile up all the silver on it but it keeps falling off. :D
You can fix this issue by changing the Drone Core recipe in Mods\Apothecarius\Defs\RecipeDefs\HiveMindPartRecipes.xml on line 39 to: 
<count>20</count>

EDIT: If you dont know how to do this, I have also uploaded the fixed file here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/45ms73if2o5apob/HiveMindPartRecipes.xml?dl=0
I mentioned the file location few lines up. :)

The whole medicine thing, I didn't use at all. No interest in it coming in, so I won't review that, but bundling a bunch of mods together is generally a bad idea, because you get junk mods you don't want to use. -2 for additional junk mods.

If you are running other mods alongside with Apothecarius, don't blame it for the cheaper and improved way of getting medicine from other mods. In all fairness. :)

chaotix14

Hi JuliaEllie!

...That's odd, I've been running both mods together for a long while now, and not a single sign of any conflicts. So no clue what kind of conflict you are hitting, but it chances are it isn't caused by apothecarius.

Quote from: Kemono on January 19, 2015, 08:11:18 PMEDIT: I decided to try it out anyway, playing for HOURS and still don't have any drone cores, I made a bill for them, bought 50 meds from a trader and I've got 8k silver, honestly don't know why it's not spawning any drone cores.

Couldn't produce any, so gave up and spawned them in. Wasn't what I was expecting to be honest.

It's an alpha 8 thing, as for why specific resources get a X20 modifier when used in crafting recipes is beyond me, but it's how it's coded and the recipe hasn't been updated to accommodate this aggravating change.

Quote from: Kemono on January 19, 2015, 08:11:18 PMImprovements:
-Remove the "Can't clean because he's a medieval lord." limitations when you install a drone core into someone.
-Make the drones more like the ones from Star Trek, where they frolic in VR whilst their body walks around doing menial drone work. You can do this by removing character traits and adding in Fast-Walker, Psychopath and the Hard-Worker traits.
-Add elemental resistances to the drones. They can't feel the cold, so they shouldn't get a -5 for being cold. Though they can get sick/hypothermia, because their vessel is still flesh.
-For the love of God make it cheaper/quicker to build. It took hours to get up whilst battling everything else, there's really no point getting it at the end of the game when you've researched everything and have a fully functional colony. This has to be something you can get mid-game to make the end-game more enjoyable.
-Compatibility with MD2. So disappointing playing this mod when I know I can go play MD2 and get droids to roam around. At the same time I want MD2 to be able to have augmented humans so it's a technophile paradise.

My final score: 6/10

Yeah, it's a bit of a disappointment that drones aren't rid of all their task disabilities. Makes it less worth using. Then again, think about what a coding nightmare it would be to make all those changes to an existing pawn by adding that implant like you suggested. The hivemind is more a luxury item for end game to get those guys that have no useful passions to get some reasonable stats in useful skills.
Also like mentioned before, it already works with md2. Unless I have some magical auto debugger and conflict resolver installed in my build of rimworld.

You know the funny thing is, the hive mind is the additional junk mod. Apothecarius is the medicine thing primarily and the added hivemind thing is an addition on that. Potentially derivable from the name of the mod and the content of the first posts, or am I just being to logical.

Good idea, good direction, just bad balancing. The drone cores appear too late in the game to be worth having the mod. Also, I'm not sure if this was meant to be played with vanilla, but saving up enough power so that my colony wouldn't go into standby mode every few minutes took a long time.
-2 for lack of balancing and depth.

I think I've been rather fair in my scoring, mod needs a good amount of work to make it "Wow" worthy, as it is now it really doesn't affect the game at all besides being a major waste of time / superficial goal to work towards.

The hivemind feature is a bit of a end game addition, one that allows you to upgrade your potato colonists(the ones with permanent brain damage) into functional members of the colony, if you can manage to get the power supply needed. More a luxury than anything else. Also like the other parts of the mod, or any mod in general, it's function can become pointless by the addition of other mods. Which of course affects the impact of the mod. I mean if you have a mod that allows you to give back the brain functions to a colonist, that'll probably beat the hivemind 9 out of 10 times in effectiveness. Same goes for having another mod that gives you a cheaper way to get medicine.

Honestly I think it's a bit annoying that you just reviewed a mod without taking a proper look at it. I mean you didn't bother to read through the posts trying to fix the problem you ran into with creating the drone cores(yet you claim to have wasted hours trying to figure out a problem) and you claimed there to be conflicts with md2 when there are none(looked through the files after your mention of the conflicts, couldn't find anything that could cause it).
Seriously that makes it feel like you didn't take the time or effort to take a proper look at the mod, and even then it's kind of ludicrous to make a review on a mod. Giving feedback on the good and the improving points, sure. But scoring, tha'ts just plain dumb.

Daikari

Love the idea of the hive mind and like playing with it. But you wouldnt consider adding a devise to protect the hive against solar flares? Making sure you always have power to it should be as hard as it needs to be. Dont really like the idea that if a solarflare happens it wipes all the progress you made. Some typ of shielded wall maybe so you can fence in the hive and a powersource for it?

Toskin

I am using Epyk pack modpack, and for some reason, I am unable to build drone cores. I modified XML file to make lower cost, but my problem is, that pawns, for some reason, are unable to interact with hive mind. I mean, I am unable to prioritize core production and my pawns ignore hive even if I block every other crafting task (so they go hauling & cleaning).