Please make animal stop moving when training.

Started by khun_poo, July 20, 2021, 08:47:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

khun_poo

Especially the hauler dog.

The problem is that all trainable creature got their skill decay if not retrain. So, when the animal graduate from training school.
They will run around to haul everything that not in the appropriate stockpile.

However, since the skill keep decaying after sometime. The animal handler will try to retrain them by chasing it around the map.

To counter this issue, I have to set animal "Haul" skill to " Not retraining" and wait until they forget how to haul.
Then start training them again. Which is too much micromanagement.

Mods is welcoming too.

Thank you for reading. Hype be for the ideology!

Canute

Special when the animal is faster then the trainer, the trainer will chase the animal all overall the map and never be able to train the animal.
I am pretty sure that problem allready was addressed and forward to the devs allready.
The use of the training spot from AnimalHarvestingSpot made training a bit easier.

VitaKaninen

I am not sure what you are asking to be changed.  Are you asking that when an animal needs training they will automatically move to the trainer, instead of the trainer moving to the animal?

In real life, it would never work this way.  If an animal loses training, they would not come back to be trained.  Someone would need to go find the animal and train them.

When I start a new colony, I restrict my animals to a very small area until they are trained.  As my colony expands, I use colonists with the Fast Walker/Jogger traits and give them Bionic/Archotech Legs and a Fast Mover Persona weapon so they do not have a problem traveling on the map.

When non-hauling animals are moving, they only move at about 1/2 normal speed, so there is not a problem with your trainer catching up to the animal.

I restrict my hauling dogs to the inside of my base only and a small portion outside.  Then I train my other animals in hauling as well, and restrict them outside the base except for the same small portion.  When a raid happens, my outside animals will haul everything to the stockpile that the dogs have access to, and the dogs will bring everything inside.

This means that my animal trainers never have a problem catching up to the animals that need training.  My dogs are always nearby, and my other animals are walking very slowly when they are not hauling.

The best practice is to train your animals in all categories as high as possible.  Skill decay does not affect all skills at the same time, unlike colonists.  They only lose training in one random skill at a time. 

If you train them in all skills, you pay a heavy training cost initially, but the benefit is that it it takes a very long time for them to forget how to haul.  It also means that when you send a caravan out for weeks at a time, your cargo animals will not leave your caravan because you are not training them.

RawCode

accept training should be "job", this will prevent animal from running around if pawn want to train it and prevent pawn from training animals that have more important things to do.

khun_poo

Quote from: VitaKaninen on July 20, 2021, 09:53:07 AM
I am not sure what you are asking to be changed.  Are you asking that when an animal needs training they will automatically move to the trainer, instead of the trainer moving to the animal?

In real life, it would never work this way.  If an animal loses training, they would not come back to be trained.  Someone would need to go find the animal and train them.

When I start a new colony, I restrict my animals to a very small area until they are trained.  As my colony expands, I use colonists with the Fast Walker/Jogger traits and give them Bionic/Archotech Legs and a Fast Mover Persona weapon so they do not have a problem traveling on the map.

When non-hauling animals are moving, they only move at about 1/2 normal speed, so there is not a problem with your trainer catching up to the animal.

I restrict my hauling dogs to the inside of my base only and a small portion outside.  Then I train my other animals in hauling as well, and restrict them outside the base except for the same small portion.  When a raid happens, my outside animals will haul everything to the stockpile that the dogs have access to, and the dogs will bring everything inside.

This means that my animal trainers never have a problem catching up to the animals that need training.  My dogs are always nearby, and my other animals are walking very slowly when they are not hauling.

The best practice is to train your animals in all categories as high as possible.  Skill decay does not affect all skills at the same time, unlike colonists.  They only lose training in one random skill at a time. 

If you train them in all skills, you pay a heavy training cost initially, but the benefit is that it it takes a very long time for them to forget how to haul.  It also means that when you send a caravan out for weeks at a time, your cargo animals will not leave your caravan because you are not training them.

Thank you for your reply. Still, the point is animal skill decay I'm talking about. Animal will still hauling even while the skill decay. And when animal haul, they likely to move at top speed which is different when they're wandering around. Make the tamer waste time around chasing hauler, restrict area or not. Also it's nice to keep in mind that this is game not real life.

Quote from: Canute on July 20, 2021, 09:38:50 AM
Special when the animal is faster then the trainer, the trainer will chase the animal all overall the map and never be able to train the animal.
I am pretty sure that problem allready was addressed and forward to the devs allready.
The use of the training spot from AnimalHarvestingSpot made training a bit easier.

Nice recommend about the mod. I'll check it out  ;D

zgrssd

Quote from: VitaKaninen on July 20, 2021, 09:53:07 AM

Gameplay > Realism.

It is a pointless waste of pawn time to see my trainer chase a hauling dog that dropped to 4/5 across the map, not catching it for 8 hours. Training Animals has no reason to be a re-enactment of the Benny Hill show chase scenes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zat9CRfUr-E

Also they can both move towards each other. Just have the animal pathfind towards the trainer if it is > 5 tiles away and regulary update both sides pathfinding.

Alenerel

To add to this, both the animal and pawn could approach each other when the training job starts. After all, it would be a trainer calling their dog to come "HEY, COME HERE U LIL SHIT", and the dog comes, just like in real life.