Rimworld crashes at start up in steam

Started by Goatly, July 21, 2021, 07:27:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goatly

hello!

after the Ideology and 1.3 patch my game crashes on startup with the following

I CAN how ever start the game directly from the EXE file in root folder.

Ten Typ

Have You tried checking the integrity of game files via steam? maybe it missed a shortcut

Goatly

Quote from: Ten Typ on July 21, 2021, 07:28:56 AM
Have You tried checking the integrity of game files via steam? maybe it missed a shortcut

i have verified, uninstall, install, restarted computer, turned off anti virus, turned off all mods. no luck.

twmoto

I'm having the same issue - reverted back to 1.2 and it launches fine.

Goatly

Quote from: twmoto on July 21, 2021, 08:08:43 AM
I'm having the same issue - reverted back to 1.2 and it launches fine.

this worked https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=4805.0

1. [Windows only] Download Delete_RimWorld_Registry_entries.reg (click the download button on the right side of the Dropbox page). Then double-click the file to delete all registry entries related to RimWorld.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

2. Reset RimWorld's configuration data by deleting all the RimWorld configuration files. You'll find them in one of the following folders (depending on your operation system):

Windows          C:/Users/[username]/AppData/LocalLow/Ludeon Studios/RimWorld/Config
C:/Users/[username]/AppData/LocalLow/Ludeon Studios/RimWorld by Ludeon Studios/Config
Note 1: the AppData folder may be hidden.
Note 2: the RimWorld folder within LocalLow may differ for various users, see this thread
Mac   Users/[username]/library/Application Support/Ludeon Studios/RimWorld/Config
Users/[username]/library/Caches/RimWorld/Config
Linux   /home/[username]/.config/unity3d/Ludeon Studios/RimWorld/Config

3. Force re-install. Sometimes Steam screws up updates. You need to delete the folders manually (not using the Steam interface).

-If you're on Steam:
  A: Shut down Steam.
  B: Delete this folder: Steam\SteamApps\common\RimWorld
  C: Delete this folder: Steam\SteamApps\workshop\content\294100
  D: Open Steam, Install RimWorld, and play.

Goatly

Just a heads up, the problem persist! it was only a temp fix =(

everytime you start Rimworld, you have to go through and delete reg keys

Canute

Goatly,
do you use maybe a 2. monitor ?
Then it is the same issue like at
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=4805.msg489313#msg489313
and it is a problem with the current unity engine.

Goatly

Quote from: Canute on July 21, 2021, 04:49:13 PM
Goatly,
do you use maybe a 2. monitor ?
Then it is the same issue like at
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=4805.msg489313#msg489313
and it is a problem with the current unity engine.

what= really? xD i just thought it could be a steam problem, i have this issue with Phasmophobia and now this game, but ONLY after 1.3 update AND! same with phasmophobia (after recent update) also only these games

Canute

Rimworld 1.2 use unity engine 2019.2 while 1.3 use engine version: 2019.4 (latest version).

Maybe a dev can answer if it is possible to use the 1.2 engine with the 1.3 data.
But since the dev's rarely post/look here, maybe you should ask this at the developer discord.
Official development discord server:
https://discord.gg/FYBsdNX

Kargle18446

From my experimenting after having the same problem it seems to stem from computer performance as I was able to load the game fine on 1.3 on a more powerful machine. It also seems to be related to how many mods you have loaded as I was able to launch it fine up to a certain number of mods, then anything over caused it to crash.

Update: with the Better Loading mod active I was able to see the point it crashed on which was something along the lines of "play data loading"