Numars Feedback Thread

Started by Numar, August 15, 2014, 12:47:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Numar

Nice things go first: I really love Alpha 6! I skipped Alpha 5 so I can replay Rimworld with even more new features and A6 really impress me so far. Base building got nicer, but especially the combats got a lot better. Had my most intense experience yesterday with two huge human factions fighting against each other, then suddenly the appearance of mechanoids which I tried to weaken with mortars before the killed the warring enemies. Took me only three loading screens to get out of that hell mostly alive!

So, regarding the feedback, here it is.

Random:
- I would love to see fire extuingishers
- I think it's awkward that some wall types have conduits, others don't. Can't they all have conduits and let single walls standing around connect to lines like e.g. turrets and lamps? Would make things better regarding user experience without oversimplifing imho.
- Ok, now limbs can be destroyed. How about advanced medical techs that can produce artificial limbs? I hate to execute long time residents that cannot move around anymore.
- An advanced hover board that carries colonists fast from point A to point B. For balance reasons can't hover above walls, more like for straight lines.
- Windows for daylight exposure within rooms?
- Cooling chamber for the food.

AI, micro managament, UI and zones:
- There doesn't seem to be a way to see all colonist stats in one window, isn't there? I would like to have one like the Overview Window but with numbers and even sortable, so I can quickly search for one colonist with high shooting skills and select him etc.
- Colonists running into battle zones to complete their tasks: annoying. What about an option that let undrafted colonists run away when they see danger? Or recalculate their task that is in a safer area? Or setting a Danger Zone colonists will not enter when enemies are there (mosh pits anyone? :D )?
- New Zone that rebuilds everthing automatically within that zone.
- Indicator that shows you if you mine or deconstruct that specific tile, better wear a helmet! Because roof.
- I would like to have a window where all event messages are displayed for re-reading. And maybe a window specific for trading that shows which trader are available and for how long.
- I would love to be able to give colonists orders directly by clicking on them. There are situations that you select a colonist, but the target object for interacting is miles away! E.g.: 1) right click on colonist -> contact Trader/Faction XY. 2) right click on colonist -> equip weapon XY (if available somewhere or optional: equip best weapon/armor available)
-- In addition to the feature above: a queue system for each colonist. E.g.: equip weapon XY, then equip  armor XY etc.
- If colonists are having a mental break down soon, the possibility to order them to relax. Most often they to tasks in a dark and ugly environment (with corpses around as worst case) while almost having a mental break down. Go eat something delicious and relax, man!
- Global setting for some tasks, like setting hauling to an higher importance for all when you need materials that are just laying around in the field. Or for harvesting food when everyone is almost starving, but prefers to do mining!

Hm, longer than expected, hope it helps!

Numar

I forgot the hunting! Friendly fire is a real problem with range weapons and a lot of people, especially with miniguns! Better AI routines so that the colonists don't jump in each others line of fire, pretty please? :)

Numar

Two more things:
- Don't let colonists that can't shoot equip weapons.
- Priority marker. Click on an object or draw a layer over some objects and whatever qualifies will get priority. E.g. things to haul, a construction site etc. Need a specific turret build up very quickly? Mark it for priority!

rtiger

Well, only stone walls don't get conduits, but they are the strongest wall, stronger then normal rock even. You can still route conduits through doors.

Coolers for food? Why are you making more meals then you need? Setting a cook stove to forever is just a bad idea.

You realize you only need to mouse over a tile and watch shadows to know where a rock roof is, right?

If a colonist is risking a mental break, just draft and move the colonist somewhere better. (Unless its cause of starvation or a hypersensitive psychic wail... yeah...)

Numar

Quote from: rtiger on August 16, 2014, 07:10:04 AM
Well, only stone walls don't get conduits, but they are the strongest wall, stronger then normal rock even. You can still route conduits through doors.
...and walls made of logs, but yes, it's not really a problem.

Quote from: rtiger on August 16, 2014, 07:10:04 AMCoolers for food? Why are you making more meals then you need? Setting a cook stove to forever is just a bad idea.
I don't make more meals than I need to and don't use forever. It was just a suggestion for further deepening the simulation aspect, especially regarding meat. You're right, coolers in the current game version without further changes would be useless.

Quote from: rtiger on August 16, 2014, 07:10:04 AMYou realize you only need to mouse over a tile and watch shadows to know where a rock roof is, right?
Yes, but that's not the problem I spoke of?
Sometimes it's not easy to see when a roof (whatever type) will crush and when not. I just wished for a indicator.

Quote from: rtiger on August 16, 2014, 07:10:04 AMIf a colonist is risking a mental break, just draft and move the colonist somewhere better. (Unless its cause of starvation or a hypersensitive psychic wail... yeah...)
It's a problem that cumulates from various circumstances. Bad environment and urgently hungry but the colonist can only think of sleep? And then get a mental break down because you can't order him to eat. Maybe the game needs some leisure time activites for the colonist like readings books etc. - combined with a button that tells the colonist he doesn't have to do any work now and just do some relaxing things to counter bad mood and mental break downs.

/edit:
And another suggestion for late game, when you killed hundreds of attackers and their weapons and bodies lay everywhere. You can cremate the bodies, but don't destroy weapons, only seels them. How about a smelter for weapons, gaining metal from it? Recycle for a healthy colony!