Sunlamp not working ?!?

Started by Fukara, August 15, 2014, 12:48:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fukara

It's a bug in Alpha 6 or something is changed ?

DarkGhost

Always worked with hydrophonics for me, even in Alpha 6.

How is it "not working" for you ?

Fukara

Quote from: DarkGhost on August 15, 2014, 12:48:48 PM

Not working for growing zones

DarkGhost

Quote from: Fukara on August 15, 2014, 12:49:58 PM

I'll test that abit later on my current savegame to see if it does the same. If not, prepare a screenshot and all to see if there is something else that's wrong.

Fukara

Quote from: DarkGhost on August 15, 2014, 12:51:45 PM
Quote from: Fukara on August 15, 2014, 12:49:58 PM

I'll test that abit later on my current savegame to see if it does the same. If not, prepare a screenshot and all to see if there is something else that's wrong.

Here is

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gnsmcw6uuf0ha23/Immagine.jpg

DarkGhost

Bug confirmed.

Underground plants are not growing during night even under a sunplant.
Same for flower pots.
Same for hydroponics.

Damien Hart

That's intended, not a bug. It's to balance out production rates for hydroponics.

Fernbhoy

As Damien said, food making was too OP so this is how Ty's countered it.

Fukara

UrbanBourbon

Wait WHAT?
Why... why not just reduce the overall growth rates instead?
Or why not reduce the amount of harvest instead?
He absolutely had to disable the growth at night?
Is it reversible via modding?

vagineer1

Quote from: UrbanBourbon on August 15, 2014, 02:06:42 PM
Wait WHAT?
Why... why not just reduce the overall growth rates instead?
Or why not reduce the amount of harvest instead?
He absolutely had to disable the growth at night?
Is it reversible via modding?

While I have to agree that some ways of farming in the previous versions was op. Completely disabling nighttime growth for Hydroponics tables even when a couple of sunlamps are nearby is not realistic at all.
You see this tank?

This tank is the epitome of "I'm going to destroy you"

This tank can make Chuck norris cry.

All hail the Takemikazuchi.

Lost Cause

This does rather strike me as wrong too.
Plants that never see the sun should not be governed by a day night cycle unless you impose one which should reduce the power needed.
I see strawberries are no longer seleable too removing the best cash crop from circulation.
This hasn't slowed down my colonies, just increased the needed space for farms which is unfortunate since farms always count as ugly environment and I can't figure out how to change that unless you want to do something daft like increase the needed space even further by growing flowers in them too X.x
So farmers spend more time on the farm, more time being depressed and are more likely to snap... all because plants take the night off.
Ohh and this doesn't just effect hydroponics. It stops all plants growing with sunlamp illumination. Including regular and underground farms v.v
It doesn't matter how many arms a colonist has as long as one of them is a Minigun!

UrbanBourbon

Quote from: Lost Cause on August 15, 2014, 02:14:31 PM
Ohh and this doesn't just effect hydroponics. It stops all plants growing with sunlamp illumination. Including regular and underground farms v.v
Right, right... Which in turn makes sunlamps pointless and useless. But, to combat plantation ugliness, and I didn't even think they were ugly, in fact, I thought strawberry plants granted a beauty bonus... ANYWAY, you could strategically plant individual roses every 5 squares, as in, think of a 5x5 square, and plant roses in its corners. Roses are SUPER PRETTY to colonists. Unless that's changed.

Rahjital

Quoting Tynan here:

Quote from: Tynan on August 10, 2014, 03:43:45 PM
This is a feature designed to push back against OP growing practices involving sun lamps. Sunlamps doubling production rates (even when placed in roofed fields) was just too much.

Quote from: Tynan on August 10, 2014, 05:41:48 PM
Sun lamps will grow faster than natural light - just a little bit faster instead of like +70% (because there is a period when plants will grow but the sun is down).

Sunlamps are also still the only way to grow food indoors, so I'd say they are far from useless. Combined with the fact that hydroponic basins have fertility value of 3.5 (compared to rich soil with 1.4), I'd say it's a step in the right direction.

I think it would be a good idea to make sunlamps turn off automatically when plants stop growing, though, so as to make them less wasteful.

Quote from: vagineer1 on August 15, 2014, 02:14:09 PM
Completely disabling nighttime growth for Hydroponics tables even when a couple of sunlamps are nearby is not realistic at all.

Real plants need darkness, they wither if you don't follow the natural cycle of light-dark. Be glad the game is not that realistic ;D

cyanpill

No fair quoting Tynan in a forum most of us can't read :P

I guess sunlamps would still be useful outdoors when it's cloudy or under an eclipse.