Complete re-playability Development take

Started by Yoshida Keiji, December 13, 2021, 09:32:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoshida Keiji

I read somewhere I don`t recall source now, probably Steam news that Ludeon Studios has increased staff personel. Until the release of version 1.0, it was just Tynan and a few if I recall correctly. My memory is lacky since the official release was disappointing to me and I discontinued playing and went to explore other titles.

I do however remember that Tynan used to improve the game solemnly based on Temperate Forest biome (normal size) and for Crashlanded scenario exclusively. Because of this, if your game set up preference was other, the game would present disparities.

So my question is: Has RimWorld finally become an overall polished game for all preferences yet or are we still analyzing and brainstorming particularly for "ONE" single gamestyle?

After a year or two, I came back to play this game and in my first run, I noticed that after researching the advanced technologies at which point the only thing left to do is to build the SpaceShip and launch to space, I have  very few components (let alone adv. components) and metal. This, I believe is the case of any player who choses to start in Lost Tribe scenario, as the start and stay on the map are much longer than Crashlanded. Is this disparity created because Ludeon only thought for Crashlanded and not for Lost Tribe? In a way, that would mean that Lost Tribe players would have to choose larger maps instead. But I also recall sayings that the game breaks in many aspects as the Ludeon Studio mindset was focused on normal size map. I always played the huge size and recall Infestations not reaching my base, which was fun. But, have improvements been made in the year or two ever since? Quests map encounters dont provide rare resources anymore and had always been full of development problems, we cannot make a second resource gathering only colony right next to our first map tile anymore; and running a full game and complete it has become a moment where players would quit without launching the SS.

So for Lost Tribe players, the game ends prematurely, making replayability somewhat incomplete and not well polished enough. Has anything changed within Ludeon Studios mindset?

RedPine

> Has RimWorld finally become an overall polished game for all preferences yet or are we still analyzing and brainstorming particularly for "ONE" single gamestyle?

Ideology addresses this.  Even without mods, there is now a massive variety in "optimal" playstyles.

>  Quests map encounters dont provide rare resources anymore

There are now logging/mining camps and ruins.  Usually they only provide common resources, but sometimes you can find relatively rare stuff, at least by early game standards.  Also, there are mods that fix this.

> we cannot make a second resource gathering only colony right next to our first map tile anymore;

No, but if you can create a second resource gathering colony 2 tiles away.  Just enable 'multiple colonies' in the options.  Keep in mind that this will wreck the game balance, since all maps share the same event cooldown, and event severity is scaled to the map that the event hits.

> But I also recall sayings that the game breaks in many aspects as the Ludeon Studio mindset was focused on normal size map.

Francis John has a vanilla playthrough on the largest map size (QoL mods only), where he had more than 250 colonists at the same time.  His frame rate was more or less what you would expect, but the game did function.

Regardless, once your mining technology and/or caravan trading gets good enough, the size of your map becomes less and less relevant.

> Running a full game and complete it has become a moment where players would quit without launching the SS.

There are now three endings, one of which 'restarts' the game instead of outright ending it.  That said, Rimworld has always been a game where goals and victory conditions are largely self-imposed.  If you want something more, you need to dive into the vibrant modding scene. 

Do you want to hang out in a giant spaceship for post end-game content?  SOS2.
Want to fight a hopeless war that will challenge the hardiest colony?  Vanilla Factions Expanded: Mechanoids.
Want to fight a proper war as a proper empire?  Rim War and Empire go well together.

Yoshida Keiji

Thanks for replying, the forum looks dysfunctional to me as many threads seem to disappear without any notice, and there`s some titles I have replied to that had gone missing. I didn`t notice your answer until today, which is over a month since I first posted it.

I went to the Steam store page for Ideology and wanted to read reviews, as of today, February of 2022, there`s over 2.500 reviews of the product but I can barely read 10 reviews as comments, plus the right column of recent posted. However most people don`t know how to write a review. Some of them occupy space worthlessly such as:

* I hate this.
* very nice.
or simply + (yes, literally someone just typed one character).

Did Ideology add more mankind stages to Lost Tribe scenario? Or is the expansion solemnly for Crashlanded? What are the "optimal" playstyles? Its hard for me to understand because it looks like you are answering to someone who has it as opposed to one that doesnt.

Today, February 4th, I just read another thread where a player is complaining how dispatching caravans is still dysfunctional as that particular player needs his caravans to travel by night only, but the game feature is still fixed on day travel only. He also mentioned that forming caravan still has bad timing and rest times are often right after leaving the base or right next to destination, where rest intervals are awkward.

I presume those logging/mining camps are locations out in the world map? I played three games recently and no caravan was intercepted so I didnt experience those "interception map instances" lately. My last three games easily run out of resources, where I mined all the steel on the surface and components as well, and was left with little to even enter the SpaceShip building phase.

I`m a veteran player with nearly 6.500 hours count by Steam, yet you are telling me that Multi-Colony game play is still broken. There`s another thread of a player saying that after getting a dozen colonists, the game becomes shallow. I have been an avid multi-colony player for a long time and I posted countless threads about it in the past.

I went to YT and found the user Francis John but he has soooo many videos that I couldn`t find the one you are talking about. Can you send me the link to the video you are talking about?

Something that I really hated of version 1.0 was the introduction of Advanced Components which made the game a massive nonsensical grinding for ages as opposed to the past versions without Advanced Components. I havent launched a single ship ever since, but I used to launch them all my games before the Advanced Components were inserted to the game. How do players these days endure this time where you basically do "nothing else" but wait? To an old player such as myself, I cant even bare the idea of waiting to launch so that I could go for the ending of "restart".

I don`t go for mods. As of the time i was very much into this game until my last days before I jumped to other games. I have always seen mods just as cheats, and the vast majority of the RW playerbase always bent to easier/lame playstyle as opposed to challenging and skill testing, so I refrained myself from mods. I still have this bad taste when the community turned a natural disaster such as the Tornado which used to be a threat...to the exact opposite of a super weapon close to a nuclear bomb, making everything more cheese. It was sooo disgusting to see the tendency of this community...