Slavery - what is it good for?

Started by zgrssd, July 23, 2021, 07:00:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zgrssd

I am struggling a bit to make slavery work for me. And others might too. I thought talking about this might help me and others.

Firs the rules:
- Slaves can work any job, even ones they are normally incapable in
- they can not be drafted. Never tried to arm them so I am unsure if they they can hunt
- supression is fundamental. The Slave Body Strap (Torso, outer) and Slave Collar (Headgear, Neck) provide passive slave supression. But otherwise the Warden has to regulary threathen them.
- the strap blocks the Parka and Duster and the hat is taken too meaning, limited thermal resistance. Tribal wear and Shirt+Pants are still options..
- they still have moods and still can have mental breaks
- I am hopefull they are still considered as a non-colonist for mood debuffs

As they still eat food and still can have mental breaks, I see only a few uses for slaves:
- better then Prisioners. Prisioners eat food and take space. Slaves eat food, but work
- as a result, it is mostly good for keeping pawns around you want to use later (selling, organ harvesting, canibal eating, sacrifice?)
- can override "incapable off" pawn limitations

Did I miss any effect or is that the limit of effects in vanilla?

Mojo2703

One of the biggest advantages is that they do not need recreation and get a massive mood boost if they are a slave. I suspect supression them will get changed some because things like skulls on spikes say they are supposed to terrorize slaves.

zgrssd

Quote from: Mojo2703 on July 23, 2021, 01:14:44 PM
One of the biggest advantages is that they do not need recreation and get a massive mood boost if they are a slave. I suspect supression them will get changed some because things like skulls on spikes say they are supposed to terrorize slaves.
I did no notice that the recreation bar was gone or that they got a mood bonus. Good to know.
As for terrorize. You can either:
- slow down the decay of the supression bar
- increase the power of the threathen action by the warden, to restore supression

So it has to do one of those. I would guess the former.

Mirador

Hello,

I will share what I noticed about slavery.

Slaves are generally (except non-violent) not limited by their backstory.

All slaves are incapable of arts, hunt, research or social.

They are capable of everything else.

Slaves can be draft, arm and attack if needed unless they have non-violent backstory.

They do not require recreation and receive massive mood bonus. As such, they don't participate to party or weeding.

They have x85% global work speed modifier from enslavement (low motivation).

Slavery: Honorable precept give mood bonus for having slaves while others slavery percepts give malus.

It's much faster to break will and enslave than it's to recruit someone.

However, there is some warden upkeep and rebellion odd is not negligable.

So to resume, slaves are easier to keep under control when their ideology clash with your, if they have severe negative social traits, drug withdrawal symptoms, etc.

Otherwise, if they have nice trait you probably should think about recruiting them instead to improve their efficiency and lower the colony upkeep cost.

That should resume it.  ;)

Grubfist

Did they change it in one of the small patches thus far? The first two slaves I had could absolutely be drafted and fight and be given weapons. Their likelihood to to rebel went to once every ~8 days from once every ~3.1 years when they had a weapon, so I only recommend giving them a weapon at the moment you need them to fight.

kfsone

For reasons, many of my friends assume I will mod/customize/take over any game I play.

Well, I was stunned, shocked, and amazed to find yesterday that RW slavery coupled with male-/female-supremacy ideology is perfect for people of certain inclinations. Possibly the strangest way/reason-to discover that quite gal you've worked with on-and-off for 25 years is a part-time professional dominatrix who actively maintains an actual bloody hareem of "slaves".

And, the pictures...

I'm never telling anyone I play rimworld again. I don't. Never have. This isn't me.

zgrssd

Quote from: Grubfist on July 23, 2021, 07:15:12 PM
Did they change it in one of the small patches thus far? The first two slaves I had could absolutely be drafted and fight and be given weapons. Their likelihood to to rebel went to once every ~8 days from once every ~3.1 years when they had a weapon, so I only recommend giving them a weapon at the moment you need them to fight.
I could not draft them while unarmed.

I figured that if they could be armed, they would try to escape more often/be harder to supress. And being able to draft them first, then arm them might be a way around that.

Grubfist

Quote from: zgrssd on July 24, 2021, 06:09:31 AM
Weird, I had no trouble drafting them. I used them as bait for attackers while unarmed and drafted. Maybe your slave was bugged?

zgrssd

Quote from: Grubfist on July 24, 2021, 07:33:46 PM
Quote from: zgrssd on July 24, 2021, 06:09:31 AM
Weird, I had no trouble drafting them. I used them as bait for attackers while unarmed and drafted. Maybe your slave was bugged?
Okay, in another case I could draft the slave. Maybe I made a mistake.

SpaceCows

I haven't personally confirmed this, but my understanding is that slaves count for lower wealth than other colonists. So slaves won't attract as many raiders as a regular colonist will