Dynamic Traits

Started by DeltaV, August 15, 2014, 05:39:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaV

Basically, the idea here is that traits should be picked up and lost over the course of a game based off of the colonist's actions. A colonist who routinely fights against and kills raiders might gain the 'bloodlust' or 'psychopath' trait, or he might crack under the pressure and gain the 'volatile' trait instead. Surviving a near-death experience might give a character an iron will, or it could drive them to depression. Colonists who mine a lot could become hard workers, and colonists with a lot of free time could become lazy. Those who start out as optimists could become more and more pessimistic in hard times. Those who are psychically sensitive might gradually begin to tune out the psychic attacks as they're exposed to more, and slow colonists could become faster over time as they become more fit from the hard work.

I think that making traits dynamic could make for much more interesting stories, watching your optimistic and naive colonist turn into a jaded sociopath over the months of raids and sieges, or having a character get a taste of human flesh and decide they like it, giving them the 'cannibal' trait. It would add a bit more flavor to each individual.
Quote from: Douglas AdamsIt is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

HatesYourFace

Quote from: DeltaV on August 15, 2014, 05:39:09 PM
Basically, the idea here is that traits should be picked up and lost over the course of a game based off of the colonist's actions. A colonist who routinely fights against and kills raiders might gain the 'bloodlust' or 'psychopath' trait, or he might crack under the pressure and gain the 'volatile' trait instead. Surviving a near-death experience might give a character an iron will, or it could drive them to depression. Colonists who mine a lot could become hard workers, and colonists with a lot of free time could become lazy. Those who start out as optimists could become more and more pessimistic in hard times. Those who are psychically sensitive might gradually begin to tune out the psychic attacks as they're exposed to more, and slow colonists could become faster over time as they become more fit from the hard work.

I think that making traits dynamic could make for much more interesting stories, watching your optimistic and naive colonist turn into a jaded sociopath over the months of raids and sieges, or having a character get a taste of human flesh and decide they like it, giving them the 'cannibal' trait. It would add a bit more flavor to each individual.

I very much like this idea. Would really add to the "story generator" side of the game.
If you have any 2 of the following 3 things: Time, Interest, or Ability; Head on over to the RimWorld wiki and help improve/update it! http://rimworldwiki.com

dD

Cannibalism is a trait which should have some sort of dynamic behavior or something, it feels like there is no purpose at all to have that trait. All people goes insane of looking at dead people, and now when they rot they will not be backup food anyway.

Would be more awesome gameplay if colony could be cannibals like the Angels family in the old Judge Dredd movie :)

vagineer1

This would definitely make things a hell of a lot more fun. Seeing my three starting survivors turn into blood-lusting bad-asses would be fun.
You see this tank?

This tank is the epitome of "I'm going to destroy you"

This tank can make Chuck norris cry.

All hail the Takemikazuchi.

dD

Yeah, games which let the player play his/her style tend to be the best, with some restrictions to the freedom of course. This is something I love with the new storyteller settings, make me as a player decide what I appreciate to play against, more stuff like this! :)