Humane way to end a guinea pig?

Started by rimstraggler, August 14, 2021, 10:05:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rimstraggler

My colony's only pet, a beloved guinea pig named "Wonton," is nearing the end of her natural life. I'm looking for suggestions and advice for the most humane and respectful way to see her through to the end.

She just now began wandering aimlessly, which is how I discovered that she has Dementia. Wonton is 7 years old, and the wiki says this species has a life expectancy of 4 years, so I guess this is the beginning of the end.

Wonton self-tamed in the very early days. The colony has always been well-defended against predators, so she's had the run of the place. I built her a nice animal bed indoors once I had some leather, which I've kept in a choice location in every iteration of the colony. I mostly ignored her, but as the song says, I've grown accustomed to her face. Once, I even did a little save-scumming to avert her death in an unexpected forest fire. (I didn't even prevent the fire, I merely re-zoned her away from it.)

I don't know how long Wonton has left. The colony is not yet space-age, but they've got plenty of cash, medicine, and materials. They don't yet have a great doctor, though.

I'm only playing with the Core package. I'm not opposed to making something from her fur once she passes, but my question here is what to do while she's alive.

Canute

Build a hugh monument labyrinth with a legendary Sarcophagus at the middle you can Wonton put in once his soul left the corpse.
Since the Sarcophagus is a fine piece of art, your pawn's will visit it from time to time.

khun_poo

Put Wonton in the cryosleep casket. Research all your way to the end of the space ship.

Make that spaceship with only one seater and sent the Wonton. We will meet again.... on the Glitterworld.

MissFox

I love the idea of this!

Beloved pet dying? Launch it into space!

Alenerel

SpaceCows

Quote from: khun_poo on August 15, 2021, 12:37:26 PM
Put Wonton in the cryosleep casket. Research all your way to the end of the space ship.

Make that spaceship with only one seater and sent the Wonton. We will meet again.... on the Glitterworld.

To add onto this, there should be a few cryptosleep caskets in the ancient danger on the map. Use the claim option on it once you've raided it. This will let you skip the research needed to build one

SeminarCaviar

Quote from: khun_poo on August 15, 2021, 12:37:26 PM

This is cute. Thank you for this idea.