Livestock Guards

Started by Cryptarch, July 22, 2021, 05:14:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cryptarch

I looked for this topic and couldn't find it. I'm new around here, though (to the forum, not the game) so apologies if this has been said before.

I LOVE Ideology. I know a lot of people are salty about the changes to animal behaviors, but I actually like it. It makes sense to me.
With three exceptions. Donkeys, Horses, and Alpacas. Not asking for a return to 1.2, but something new.
Donkeys and Alpacas are both used irl to help protect livestock from predators. They're fierce and they tend to go after predators that enter their enclosures and threaten them or their companion animals. Given that predators can get past fences, it makes all the sense in the world to me that those two animals should have the function to attack predators that enter their enclosure.

To sum up: I think it would be awesome if donkeys and alpacas were natural predator-attackers when in an enclosure.

As for horses, given their historical military use, I think they should be trainable in guard and attack. Hoof-stomp doom! ;)  But that's just me.

And THANK YOU FOR IDEOLOGY! It is everything I wanted and more!  ;D

zgrssd

Another example would be the "Lifestock guard dog":
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Livestock_guardian_dog

Wikipedia: "The use of dogs in protecting livestock originated over 2,000 years ago, with their use being recorded as early as 150 BC in Rome. Both Aristotle's History of Animals and Virgil's Georgics mention the use of livestock guardian dogs by the Molossians in the ancient region of Epirus."

Cryptarch

Agreed! For dogs, I think maybe it should be a training option. Like, instead of "guard" we could train them into "guard livestock" and then put them in the pen we want protected.