Z levels

Started by Sepkan, August 10, 2014, 10:14:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wolfman1911

No horses, but I heard a rumor (no I didn't) that muffalo wrangling was on the agenda for Alpha 8.

Anyway, I don't know if he meant to, but I think UrbanBourbon hit on a lot of the reasons that a z level would be a pain to implement, a lot of the things that now have a fairly simplified algorithm, like mortar shots, would have to be modified to account for how they would necessarily interact with higher or lower elevations. It's not just a matter of slapping on a second level, it's also a matter of assessing and modifying all the things that would be affected by adding that second level.

Kirid

Quote from: wolfman1911 on August 18, 2014, 05:54:36 PM
No horses, but I heard a rumor (no I didn't) that muffalo wrangling was on the agenda for Alpha 8.

Anyway, I don't know if he meant to, but I think UrbanBourbon hit on a lot of the reasons that a z level would be a pain to implement, a lot of the things that now have a fairly simplified algorithm, like mortar shots, would have to be modified to account for how they would necessarily interact with higher or lower elevations. It's not just a matter of slapping on a second level, it's also a matter of assessing and modifying all the things that would be affected by adding that second level.
I was just stating another pro to having z-levels. This isn't this first thread on z-levels I've read, I already understood it would be difficult to implement. Pathing is another huge issue. Maybe he'll consider it years from now, or for Rimworld 2 :p.

(Getting off topic) I seriously hope muffalo are never domesticated, it's not very logical. I stated reasons why in the muffalo breeding thread, but they were completely buried by people in favor of it.
You can't rollerskate in a muffalo herd

wolfman1911

"Muffalo Breeding thread"? God, I shouldn't have held off so long in getting into the forums.