Masses and masses of rocks

Started by nils, August 28, 2014, 06:58:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nils

I know you can cut them into bricks, but what else do we do with all these rocks? I end up having huge dumping stockpiles and nothing to do with the rocks. Worse, these stockpiles have to be far away since they provide too much cover to enemies otherwise.

One thing that would really help seems to be adding a rock wall that transmits power (easily modded in, so not hard to implement). I'd build a lot more out of rocks if I didn't have to draw wires everywhere.

Maybe we could also use them to fill in mud and water tiles. Use them as a foundation, sort of.

Finally, I'd actually be OK with having a pulverizer that just lets me get rid of them.

_alphaBeta_

I think as another industry, it would be nice to be able to sell the bricks to passing traders. Having a stockpile of bricks in the early game is nice so you're ready to build those tough outer walls, shooting positions etc. In the mid to late game, however, they also take up too much space stockpiled and don't have enough building use (although they're much more space efficient than the rocks themselves since multiple rocks easily fit into a single stack of bricks).

Numar

I regularly run out of stone on forest maps because ...
1) ...I need to build a lot of ways (stone tiles) through the forest, otherwise my colonists are too slow.
2) ...stone walls as outer colony walls.

SSS

Quote from: Rimworld ChangelogAug 28

• Refactoring and bugfixing on stuff and damage systems.
  • Added power conduit wall. You can build any wall with a power conduit inside.
  • Split armor stat into five separate categories: blunt, piercing, temperature, electric, toxic.
  • Races can now have native armor again. Used for megascarab and mechanoids.
  • Reworked info card and stats window displays to work without having a thing instance. This lets you look at stats of things before building them.
  • Work to build is now a modifiable stat. It takes longer to build things out of stone, metal is in the middle, and wood is quite quick.
  • Refactored graphics system to encapsulate more functionality in the Graphic class so gameplay code can know less about how it is being rendered.

Your idea has already been implemented into the next alpha. ^-^