Question: Same Guns in Different Colors, Y/N? How?

Started by AcetheSuperVillain, July 26, 2021, 02:09:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AcetheSuperVillain

I've been thinking of modding in some custom guns.  I have a big collection of 3D model sci-fi guns that I'm planning to pre-render for the graphics.  With this kind of 3D graphic, it's really easy to change the color palette, here's an example:

So I'm wondering first of all, is this something players would even want and if so what's a good way to do it?  I know I could do a bunch of duplicates like, Cyber Pistol (Red), Cyber Pistol (Blue), Cyber Pistol (Black), etc, but this I think could be extremely annoying. 

Nolabritt

Just theorizing, but you could make a mod that adds paint items of different colors and have them count as Stuff. then make the guns be made from stuff, namely the paint, so that the game's built in stuff coloring system can do the work for you. Then you would need make just one graphic that is white, like the vanilla walls, and then set the stuff properties of the paints to correspond with the colors. One apparent drawback however would be lack of design variation, for example the multi colors on the lower left set of guns would not be doable.

RawCode

you can provide special implementation of compcolorable and few other types and have something like color==quality.

more content != better, especially if your colored guns just have different numbers and other vice exactly same compared to each other and vanilla weapons.