Ideas on medical system

Started by HalfBrother, August 16, 2014, 12:54:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HalfBrother

I've put together some of my ideas to improve the medical system:

-Prosthetics: Probably coming in Alpha 7, but expandable. There should be wooden, metal, and synthetic, each with their own "replacability" values. Synthetic limbs could ultilize human flesh and some sort of cell printing chamber to create a new limb with 100% replacement value.

-Medicine production: Research that opens up medicine creation. In the early game there could be simple herbs, then full medkits later. There could also be painkillers, cheaper and only heals the pain.

-Advanced surgeries: Again, researchable, would allow sensitive parts like eyeballs, etc to be partially recovered.

-Wheelchair and stretchers: Wheelchairs would be an early game solution, allowing colonists to move around slowly and do minimal work. Strecthers are quick to place and allows treatment of the colonists while travelling to the base.

Just some thoughts and ideas on how to medical system could be expanded.

JuliaEllie

I like your ideas very much and I try to realise a few of them but unfortunately most of them need a .dll and my C# skills are almost non existent.

Medicine production is covered by the Apothecarius Mod shameless self-promotion

Stryker

Though I really love the idea, and it sounds quite amazing, Ty would only have enough time to focus on prosthetics and surgery. The wheelchair and stretcher idea would be quite immersive but then again, he only have time for prosthetics. Hopefully we can get his input on this post.

James009

Agreed with all of those ideas entirely. Cannot wait to see the medical system expanded upon and we need more with R&D.
Lets Crashland Here Simulator!

webkilla

Ya - I would really like to see a mod that allows me to produce medicine

I think the best way to do it would be like:

Research "First aid"
- would allow construction of a pharmacist workbench (would require some metal and some medkits)
- would enable a harvestable crop called "medical herb" or something similar
- the pharma bench could then make the harvested herbs into painkillers that only reduce pain levels
- Opens up for Advanced Medical Science

When that's researched you can...
- make another crop of slightly more advanced medical herbs (this should grow really slowly)
- with the pharma bench make those, along with 5 metal, with a standard Medicine packet
- the cost of making these things should be balanced so medicine production doesn't become a cheap cash-cow

Krantz86

my idea on prosthetics, implants and medicine:
Tech level 1 (rimworld sawbones)
new workbench with
healing plants -> Medkit
logs -> wooden peg(leg)(weak, malus to skill, better than nothing)
metal -> Hook(hand)(weak, malus to skill, better than nothing)
and  a new "operation table" where a colonist can receive the new shiny( well more rusted than shiny) new limbs, as for tech level1 organs are too much

Tech level 2 (proper care)
unlocked Prosthetic arm/legs to the workbench (good as new)
unlocked organ harvesting from fresh dead humanoids
unlocked organ trasplant
grafted metal plates (increased hitpoints on torso, head)

Tech level 3 (frankenstein's nephew handybook)
unlocked steampunk/cybertech limbs
unlocked mechanoid's harvested parts
unlocked upgraded organs/multi-organ grafts (gunshot to the heart? don't worry i installed 2 more!)

to manage the proper implants they could be added throught Hoppers to the operation table

Bruvvy

Painkillers sound pretty cool!

Bruvvy

Coenmcj

This looks pretty nice. Wouldn't mind seeing some extended medical applications ingame.

Quote from: Bruvvy on August 23, 2014, 11:58:11 PM
Dont put in cannabis
Oook then?... Where did anyone mention Cannabis?..
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite

mrofa

Hmm well i did sleeping pills, and partialy working wooden leg but cannibals now thats a idea for a good side effect :D

All i do is clutter all around.

Lithial

we have booze already with mods why not cannabis :P

StorymasterQ

If not cannabis, then a can of bis...cuits. Almost the same thing.
I like how this game can result in quotes that would be quite unnerving when said in public, out of context. - Myself

The dubious quotes list is now public. See it here

LordJulian

An improvised painkiller like a morphine like plant that would temporarily relives the pain of the user and preventing them from getting incapacitated or getting someone up from incapacitation would definitely be a great addition.

MrOlder

Add cannabis as a plant!
- It gives you a bonus of ( In the thoughts tab ) +20 but decreases hunger by 10%!
- Attracts squirrels and muffallo's and when eaten by these creatures it makes them go insane and could possibly call in a horde of their own species or other animals to attack where the cannabis farm is located.
- You can add a processing system were it goes through a number of stages to make it better quality.
- It can numb the pain or your fallen and give them less of a chance to get in-incapacitated or even recover from incapacitation.
- It makes pawns high and decreases their accuracy or something similar to make it not as OP as real life cannabis.   
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)   Ain't no rest for the Wicked and the Weird Peeps.