Save Bugging With Ideology [Solved]

Started by UltimateTobi, July 29, 2021, 09:27:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

UltimateTobi

Hey all,

I am using an old save from 1.0 (so incompatibilities are to be expected), however the save works fine with Royalty but starts to bug out when you load it with ideology.
Some recently joined colonists from refugees spawn with two different sets of Ideoligions, one of those is some sort of fake ideoligion (Rustican 4), that has no memes, precepts, etc unless you activate dev mod and check it out.
The others spawn with a proper ideoligion of one of the factions.
The majority of my colonists (all pre-recent-refugee quest that completed; this quest was accepted and completed with only base game + Royalty, when you load the save, you'll notice that this save is pre-Ideology) spawn with the proper, random generated ideoligion.

Whether you use that ideoligion or modify it with dev mode does not matter, the save will start to bug out as soon as the others wake up and demand their respective roles.

Obvious bugs I noticed:
- Right-clicking ceases to work (drafted or un-drafted)
- Ritual spots either stop functioning or conversion and leader events will only allow you to do it from the perspective of the secondary ideoligion.
- Killing the pawns belonging to other ideoligions or changing them via Set ideo (dev mode) kills all functions as well (Ritual spots stop working entirely for leader speech and conversion ritual). You can, however, manually execute a leader speech if you've assigned the respective role

These bugs occur whether or not you immediately assign appropriate roles while paused (for either of or for both ideoligions).

I know I probably have to settle using this save without Ideology, which is a shame, but maybe someone more tech-savvy could figure out what is actually happening here.
For this purpose, I upload the save and link it here.

Thanks for anyone helping out.

PS: I also dabbled/thought about outright removing ideoligions via save editing but couldn't find anything in a second save that I saved afterwards with Ideology enabled.

PPS: No mods subscribed nor active. However I had used the following mods prior to removing them again: RenameColony, HugsLib, Harmony, Reroll Map, Blueprints

Here's the link to the save: https://1drv.ms/u/s!Atji0J2p4nr7iE4NYcTCnM6zWErn?e=zgnyPo (<--- OneDrive link)
Your generic Steam user.

Bozobub

Removing mods has made your situation very difficult, likely hopelessly so.
Thanks, belgord!

UltimateTobi

Quote from: Bozobub on July 29, 2021, 10:11:19 AM
Even benign mods such as the listed ones (that add nothing)?
Besides that, those mods were used in the save prior to Ideology. And the save keeps working fine without Ideology. The save only starts to bug out when you activate Ideology.
Your generic Steam user.

RawCode

i will attempt to "recover" your save as proof of concept via mod, mostly because this is extremely popular issue and lots and lots of people hang to years old saves for no reason.

especially noticeable in minecraft, people go berserk when updates break their glorious mud huts, that were constructed for hundreds of hours.

UltimateTobi

Quote from: RawCode on July 29, 2021, 11:32:52 AM
i will attempt to "recover" your save as proof of concept via mod, mostly because this is extremely popular issue and lots and lots of people hang to years old saves for no reason.

especially noticeable in minecraft, people go berserk when updates break their glorious mud huts, that were constructed for hundreds of hours.
I can't deny I hang on to this save and I'd be grateful if it could be saved.
But I am far from going berserk. Worst case I keep playing this save without Ideology. It's just that save grew on me and I love long sessions.

Could you elaborate on what is going wrong once you enable Ideology?

Thank you for taking the time to look into it. Much appreciated.
Some way to "repay" you? I'd award you points if you are on Steam (a Workshop item for example).
Your generic Steam user.

RawCode

you have single corrupted ideology that cause null error spam, removing that ideology from save with text editor fixed issue (probably)

right clicking works
ritual(s) works
no constant error spam (errors on load can be fixed by removing broken objects from save)

normally such issues require code injections or running from debugger, but in your case, problem happen to be relatively easy

https://www.sendspace.com/file/uhmuzx

try provided save, no repayment of any kind is required.

UltimateTobi

Quote from: RawCode on July 29, 2021, 12:06:11 PM
you have single corrupted ideology that cause null error spam, removing that ideology from save with text editor fixed issue (probably)

right clicking works
ritual(s) works
no constant error spam (errors on load can be fixed by removing broken objects from save)

normally such issues require code injections or running from debugger, but in your case, problem happen to be relatively easy

https://www.sendspace.com/file/uhmuzx

try provided save, no repayment of any kind is required.
Thank you. Downloaded. Will check it out immediately.
Your generic Steam user.

Canute

RawCode, the savegame-doctor.
Inject some coffee or wodka to get him to work ! :-)

UltimateTobi

It works!
Thank you so much. Now I can play my fav save with Ideology, thanks to you.

Maybe it's not required, but I feel obligated. So if you want Steam Points I can shower you in them.

You have my gratitude.
Your generic Steam user.

UltimateTobi

Quote from: Canute on July 29, 2021, 12:16:11 PM
RawCode, the savegame-doctor.
Inject some coffee or wodka to get him to work ! :-)
Heh, I keep that in mind until the next DLC releases and my ancient save needs saving. ;)
Your generic Steam user.

zgrssd

Quote from: UltimateTobi on July 29, 2021, 10:16:33 AM
My advise for troubleshooting is to disable all mods.
Especially the ones that can not possibly cause the issue.

It takes one modder copying a basegame file during some experiment and forgetting it to have that old file be around every time the mod is used by anyone.

I just do not see how the game could run with Ideology if it was not started with Ideology.
There has to be some setup work that is only down during the initial creation of factions. And replicating all that work would take way to long.

Consider that the DLC's are listed as a entry in the mod list.
So continuing a game you started without the DLC should be about as hard as continuing a game you started without a mod:The savegame feature will automatically remind you of the proper list of mods needed.

UltimateTobi

Quote from: zgrssd on July 29, 2021, 01:10:09 PM
Quote from: UltimateTobi on July 29, 2021, 10:16:33 AM
My advise for troubleshooting is to disable all mods.
Especially the ones that can not possibly cause the issue.

It takes one modder copying a basegame file during some experiment and forgetting it to have that old file be around every time the mod is used by anyone.

I just do not see how the game could run with Ideology if it was not started with Ideology.
There has to be some setup work that is only down during the initial creation of factions. And replicating all that work would take way to long.

Consider that the DLC's are listed as a entry in the mod list.
So continuing a game you started without the DLC should be about as hard as continuing a game you started without a mod:The savegame feature will automatically remind you of the proper list of mods needed.
Not playing with any mods. I had disabled them after an experiment and removed them.

The save works now with Ideology thanks to RawCode. No massive changes required. He just a removed a faulty Ideoligion that got generated upon loading the save with Ideology.
Works as intended now.
Your generic Steam user.

Canute

Look's like you arn't the only one. But happen when you add Ideology to an existing save only.

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=54951.0

UltimateTobi

Yeah, incompatibilities are bound to happen after major updates including DLC. I didn't expect my 1.0 save to function with 1.2/Royalty (it did), much less with 1.3/Ideology. But I am happy it's sorted out with a minor save edit done by RawCode.

I also removed the faulty objects that gave save-game-load-up error logs via save editing and now the save game loads without any errors and functions perfectly.
Your generic Steam user.