Help a guy out

Started by Herc18, August 16, 2014, 05:01:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Herc18

Hey guys been playing rimworld a long time, (since alpha 1) and I just started a rimworld series on my YouTube, haven't played since alpha 4 so many features I'm not use too yet, if you could comment on what I did right and wrong I'd appreciate it so future vids can be better! Like and subscribe to help a guy out more and too see future content. Thanks community! :)
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVP8r_mQQzwFKAlEfLXGhGLL-ro6rKfUW
What has been, will be again.

vagineer1

Quote from: Herc18 on August 16, 2014, 05:01:40 AM
Hey guys been playing rimworld a long time, (since alpha 1) and I just started a rimworld series on my YouTube, haven't played since alpha 4 so many features I'm not use too yet, if you could comment on what I did right and wrong I'd appreciate it so future vids can be better! Like and subscribe to help a guy out more and too see future content. Thanks community! :)
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLVP8r_mQQzwFKAlEfLXGhGLL-ro6rKfUW

This should be in the Off-Topic Sub Forum.
You see this tank?

This tank is the epitome of "I'm going to destroy you"

This tank can make Chuck norris cry.

All hail the Takemikazuchi.

Rahjital

Why? It's about Rimworld and giving hints to somebody not used to Alpha 6 and the changes it brought. Very good fit for this section in my opinion.

The videos are way too long to watch them all, but a few peeks here and there on the latest video will be enough, hopefully.

vagineer1

Quote from: Rahjital on August 16, 2014, 05:44:16 AM
Why? It's about Rimworld and giving hints to somebody not used to Alpha 6 and the changes it brought. Very good fit for this section in my opinion.

The videos are way too long to watch them all, but a few peeks here and there on the latest video will be enough, hopefully.

I'm just saying that usually these "Watch my RW video" threads are in the Off-Topic Sub Forum. I'm not trying to bash the guy, just saying.
You see this tank?

Rahjital

I see this is more as "Please help me improve my gameplay". Ultimately it depends on the mods or Tynan himself, I suppose.

As to actually give some help: You have very little food at all times. There's little need to hunt or expand your base when you can barely cook a single simple meal! Don't assign the colonists any work until you have at least several hundred potatoes in your storage. Also, try to cook simple meals instead of using the Nutrient Paste Dispensers, they are cheaper and don't give colonists unhappy thoughts.

You might also want to redo the battery building. It's created from wood and has many batteries next to each other. If a raider manages to set the outer wall on fire, it might spread to the batteries and cause a chain reaction.

Herc18

Thank you for the helpful reply was exactly what I was looking for, I want my videos to be entertaining AND informative :) are there any other advice you can think of? Maybe something to do with the new features? What are mech corpse for? How do you make medicine?
Thanks again and sorry if this is the wrong forum!

longbyte1

Quote from: vagineer1 on August 16, 2014, 06:14:13 AM

I'm just saying that usually these "Watch my RW video" threads are in the Off-Topic Sub Forum. I'm not trying to bash the guy, just saying.

Actually, no, they belong in the "Video" board.

Nice commentary, I'd say. The production needs a little work: a better intro (the music is fine), and the sound needs to be louder. The microphone sounds a bit distorted, but that's fine for a beginner.

vagineer1

Quote from: longbyte1 on August 16, 2014, 02:23:01 PM
Quote from: vagineer1 on August 16, 2014, 06:14:13 AM

Actually, no, they belong in the "Video" board.

Nice commentary, I'd say. The production needs a little work: a better intro (the music is fine), and the sound needs to be louder. The microphone sounds a bit distorted, but that's fine for a beginner.

I have not even heard of this board until now. I have not seen it one the forums. The Off-Topic forum is where I see the RW videos.
You see this tank?

Herc18

Thanks again I appreciate the critique, what would be a good intro in your opinion?

longbyte1

Quote from: Herc18 on August 16, 2014, 02:38:40 PM
Thanks again I appreciate the critique, what would be a good intro in your opinion?
Some 5-second mix of the best RimWorld action clips you have, and then your channel name.

Neurotoxin

Quote from: Herc18 on August 16, 2014, 12:31:52 PM
What are mech corpse for?
How do you make medicine?

You need to research Machining and you can break them down into metal at a machining table.
There currently isn't anyway to make medicine without a mod, I'd link the mod but I assume you're trying to stick to the vanilla game for the time being.

Plasmatic

I'd also suggest you raise your recording volume slightly, I have the max volume set on Youtube videos and it's hard to hear your commentary. not because it's being overruled, but because the volume is low to start.

also, the playlist is backwards (starts with Ep.4)

But I like it, I will keep watching it.

Herc18

Thanks for the advice guys I'll implement all of it :) episode 4 is at the top because it's the latest video, think I should switch it to oldest at top?? And ya I'm sticking with vannilla until random randy decides to destroy me utterly.... I'll follow up with another lets play that's heavily moddified

Plasmatic

Quote from: Herc18 on August 17, 2014, 04:16:31 PM
Thanks for the advice guys I'll implement all of it :) episode 4 is at the top because it's the latest video, think I should switch it to oldest at top?? And ya I'm sticking with vannilla until random randy decides to destroy me utterly.... I'll follow up with another lets play that's heavily moddified

Generally when you have a playlist, it's to be able to binge on something with one episode after another right? (or at least that is my assumption)

With the latest on top, youtube doesn't automatically switch to the next video, you have to hit previous on the playlist yourself for it to keep going, so, the way the playlists are build, the oldest is supposed to be at the top and you add new videos to the bottom, that way the playlist will keep playing my itself.

Herc18

wow as you can tell im new at this lol thanks for the tip I will fix it now :))