Quick update

Started by Tynan, September 20, 2013, 04:19:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jakadasnake

Quote from: Tynan on September 21, 2013, 04:58:03 PM
I hear ya, but the game really needs some help at this point and I can't do the things it needs myself.

I think the market is far bigger than I'll ever reach (e.g. millions and millions of players out there) so I'm not afraid of "using up" some limited reserve of goodwill. I think there will always be more people to reach when you're as small as this operation.

So I'm hoping it'll work in stages. First the Kickstarter. That gives resources to get the public Alpha done well (which is the quality you're thinking of). Which gets resources to refine the game into what it really want to be.

At least, I'm hoping it'll work that way.

Does greenlighting your game on Steam fit into your model at all? That early release tab gets quite a bit of attention from buyers and it seems to give the developer quite a bit of freedom as far as price model goes.

Tynan

I'll be launching Greenlight the same day as Kickstarter. Hopefully each will generate traffic for the other.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Jakadasnake

Oh, hell yeah. That generates another free forum for your game too, via Steam community. This could come together really well.

Tynan

As I head to bed, the mail signup stands at 997 people. We got a boost today from that Russian video that came out.

The Kickstarter page is almost finished assembling too. Pretty stoked.

British

Quote from: Jakadasnake on September 24, 2013, 02:11:18 AM
Oh, hell yeah. That generates another free forum for your game too, via Steam community. This could come together really well.
I really hope this very forum here stays the "reference" when it comes to communication and... well, everything else.

Jakadasnake

The most likely result will be that a seperate community will form around the Steam Community forums - if this game racks up enough buyers there. People don't want to register on a new website if  they don't have to. Take solace in the fact that the OGs made their home here and that the master of this game is always going to have pull around here. But rejoice in that community developed content may blossom from that corner of the Internet. Science is a wonderful thing.

British

Quote from: Jakadasnake on September 24, 2013, 04:04:25 AMPeople don't want to register on a new website if  they don't have to.
Indeed.
And I, for one, don't want to go anywhere near Steam.

In any case, there's a lot of different games that have no real trouble being on Steam and yet have lively forums out of it...

Jakadasnake

Quote from: British on September 24, 2013, 04:32:55 AM
Quote from: Jakadasnake on September 24, 2013, 04:04:25 AMPeople don't want to register on a new website if  they don't have to.
Indeed.

In any case, there's a lot of different games that have no real trouble being on Steam and yet have lively forums out of it...

Yeah dude, absolutely. And that's the thing. This forum will have a much richer history than its steam counterpart. That alone gives it an edge. I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Kickball

Will the game price be lowered once its fully released?

Tynan

Quote from: Kickball on September 24, 2013, 03:22:20 PM
Will the game price be lowered once its fully released?

Not for a few years (e.g until it goes on Steam sale etc). After the Kickstarter, it may be raised. I'd like to reward early backers, not punish them.

Yarkista

Quote from: British on September 24, 2013, 04:32:55 AM
Indeed.

Bloody hell, why would we not want the game to go on steam? It controls 80% of the online market and the sales we would get would be many times more than if the game was only launched on other distribution platforms.

I realy don't get the hate for Steam on this forum...

British

Jakadasnake and I were talking about the forums, actually...

And anyway just because you find Steam fine doesn't mean it's like so for everyone else (and the other way around, of course).

Yarkista

Quote from: British on September 24, 2013, 04:13:52 PM
Jakadasnake and I were talking about the forums, actually...

And anyway just because you find Steam fine doesn't mean it's like so for everyone else (and the other way around, of course).

Oh yes I know that, I just wish to know why you personally don't like it, expanding my horizons so to speak.

British

This is quite out of the scope of this forum, and that wouldn't bring any of us any good.

So let's be giddy in anticipation together about RimWorld coming on our distribution platforms of choice !

Yarkista

Quote from: British on September 24, 2013, 04:29:42 PM
This is quite out of the scope of this forum, and that wouldn't bring any of us any good.

So let's be giddy in anticipation together about RimWorld coming on our distribution platforms of choice !

Fair point, and indeed, I can't wait for it to come out!