[1.3.3076] Incorrect infotab information for animals

Started by The_Blind_One, July 31, 2021, 06:54:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Blind_One

Since the 1.3 patch (herbivore) animals mature 33% faster.

From the patch 1.3 preview notes:
> Herbivores rebalance:
> Adult age is reduced by 33%.

However this change is not properly represented in the animals infotab.

Chickens are listed to mature at 0.2 years (12 days) but actually mature at ~7.92 days (12 days x ~0.66).
Goats are listed to mature at 0.266 years (~16 days) but actually mature at ~10.5 days (~16 days x ~0.66).

This also means that the meat per day during growth is nearly always off by 33% of the listed amount as well.

I don't know if this is intended or not but now as such there is a hidden stat where (herbivore?) animals mature 33% faster than listed. This is confusing to players and an annoyance at best with the infotab not being correct anymore.

Chickens went from 0.3 years fully grown (18 days) in v1.2 to listed as 0.2 years (12 days) in v1.3 but are in fact already mature at just ~8 days. So that's 1/3rd off the time it took to mature chickens and then another 33% off of that. I think this is a bit excessive in their growth rates.

I also for the life of me can't find where this 33% growth bonus comes from in the files as a modder.

Thank you for reading and listening to my concerns.

Lovely game btw

Thunder Rahja

I noticed this myself while comparing animals via their info panel. There's also an inconsistency between hunger rate, as shown in the animal's info panel, and nutrition consumption, as shown by pen markers, where consumption rate is half of the displayed hunger rate. Perhaps there is a hidden, hard-coded multiplier being applied to tamed animals that isn't shown in the info panel.

The_Blind_One

Quote from: Thunder1 on July 31, 2021, 09:56:55 PM
I noticed this myself while comparing animals via their info panel. There's also an inconsistency between hunger rate, as shown in the animal's info panel, and nutrition consumption, as shown by pen markers, where consumption rate is half of the displayed hunger rate. Perhaps there is a hidden, hard-coded multiplier being applied to tamed animals that isn't shown in the info panel.

From the 1.3 preview patch notes:

Herbivores rebalance:
--->Hunger rate reduced by 50%.<---
Adult age is reduced by 33%.
Gestation days reduced by 33%. (This does not include unfertilized egg layers.).

These stats have probably become hidden stats when there really is no need to do this. Adult age can literally be edited in the XML for the appropriate animal as well as gestation period and hunger rate but for some reason they patch changes are hidden inside the code itself now. This is such a strange method. Why not just update the XML to represent the intended changes instead?

Boboid

Just chiming in to say this is still an issue in 1.3.3080.

The in-game, dev-mode Animal Economy chart and the Pen nutrition calculations appear to be the same and correct based on my testing and the confirmation of other discord users, however the information panel is still displaying nutrition eaten per day ( Hunger rate ) at double what it really is.

I haven't tested the aging/meat per day during growth side of things but if both changes were made in the same way they would result in the same incorrect information being displayed to the player via the information panel.
The only difference being that there's no point of comparison like the Pen marker for such stats apart from the dev-chart which most people won't see.
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

Pheanox

Thanks for the bug report.  I've made a report for the devs to review, and hopefully we can get the inaccuracies fixed ASAP.