[1.5][MODLIST] Glitter Tech Classic

Started by Sam_, August 16, 2014, 05:41:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you think this mod should be broken into smaller mods?

Yes
No
Yes, but have an option for all features in a mod pack.

«Temple»

With the new animal update you should do something with it. 8)

Megfir

Is it intentional that the commandos can raid you even before you've built any glitter tech or researched any of it?

Sam_

Quote from: Hunter00064 on August 24, 2015, 05:25:34 AM
With the new animal update you should do something with it. 8)

This has opened a lot of doors for my mod for sure. I've been trying to make droids that can haul things like a colonist without writing any c# and just using XML, which hasn't worked. Now it can, amoung other great things. Getting ready to build droid armies.

Quote from: Megfir on August 24, 2015, 02:07:10 PM
Is it intentional that the commandos can raid you even before you've built any glitter tech or researched any of it?

This mod is certainly not for the light hearted, which is to say I like things realistic. As a result I don't see why commandos would wait for you to mount an effective defense. The XML does have raids from Commandos set to wait for a number of days like mechanoids, so I just call that the span of time that it takes for them to notice your colony.

That said, the next major content update is going to change basically the whole mod, adding multiple tiers, so starting off with the mod should be easier, but the good stuff this version has now might be harder to reach.

stranger080

Quote from: Sam_ on August 25, 2015, 03:50:37 AM
That said, the next major content update is going to change basically the whole mod, adding multiple tiers, so starting off with the mod should be easier, but the good stuff this version has now might be harder to reach.
That sounds awesome, can't wait until that update!

ThePhoenix007

Quote from: zodium on June 08, 2015, 03:31:30 AM
Quote from: SirLeonardo on June 07, 2015, 03:35:24 PM
How do I make titanium?

You can make it from plasteel in the electrolyzer.
You mean the one that requires titanium to make?

Tormound

Is there a way to make cybernetic organs or do i have to buy them?

ThePhoenix007

Quote from: ThePhoenix007 on August 25, 2015, 08:05:16 PM
Quote from: zodium on June 08, 2015, 03:31:30 AM
Quote from: SirLeonardo on June 07, 2015, 03:35:24 PM
How do I make titanium?

You can make it from plasteel in the electrolyzer.
You mean the one that requires titanium to make?

Like seriously, I can't make anything because I have no way to make titanium and no traders have it...  I understand this is an endgame mod, but....  Its pointless when you can't even begin to start to build anything you can build with this mod...  so far, its a very code bloated gun mod (the guns are really cool, lol).  Any suggestions?  Am i doing something wrong?

falloute

Sorry for stupid question, but where do I get titanium. Only places I found it was in traders, but it's quite expensive? I am mining out this mountain and haven't found a single deposit.

Sam_

Titanium ore does exist, but it is slightly rarer then plasteel, and obviously needs a fresh map. The main source until you can make your own is from traders, and is as expensive as it should be. Traders arriving is a random occurrence, which does not mean the frequency that traders arrive is set in stone. It's not my mods fault if the trader doesn't arrive for hours of play time. From a technical stand-point, if I made my custom trader frequent enough that you don't have to wait, then they would arrive far too frequently, and the resources would become undervalued.

Saying this mod is high tier doesn't necessarily mean it's just a powerful mod, it means everything is very hard to get. The content in this mod is intended as long term goals that will take your colonists years to develope. If you just want to see all features of my mod in one sitting use debug mode instead.

ThePhoenix007

Quote from: Sam_ on August 26, 2015, 12:00:46 AM
Titanium ore does exist, but it is slightly rarer then plasteel, and obviously needs a fresh map. The main source until you can make your own is from traders, and is as expensive as it should be. Traders arriving is a random occurrence, which does not mean the frequency that traders arrive is set in stone. It's not my mods fault if the trader doesn't arrive for hours of play time. From a technical stand-point, if I made my custom trader frequent enough that you don't have to wait, then they would arrive far too frequently, and the resources would become undervalued.

Saying this mod is high tier doesn't necessarily mean it's just a powerful mod, it means everything is very hard to get. The content in this mod is intended as long term goals that will take your colonists years to develope. If you just want to see all features of my mod in one sitting use debug mode instead.

I can understand that, but maybe make the electrolyzer cost a crapton of plassteel, uranium, and steel? most traders have plassteel, fewer have uranium, its expensive.  I'm 12 hours into the game and have seen 1 trader have titanium, i sold every animal i have just to get 74, it was expensive, fortunately, i had the foresight to buy a couple of high end rifles, or the raiders at 12 hours in would have ended me.  I know it's not your mod's fault how frequent the trader is.  But if you look at 99.9% of games that have a tech tier,  they never require you to have the material that you're teching up to, just to make the material, they have some other money sink, or rarity sink.    I know it's supposed to be hard to get and very rare, but, I feel it takes just a little bit too long.   Maybe we disagree on that, maybe others haven't played for 12 hours to still not have any tech and I'm being cursed by the RNG.  Regardless, I could play another week before a trader comes that has the rest of the amount needed to make the electolyzer, AND I have the silver to buy it.  Especially when being constantly mutilated by high end raiders.    Yeah, I could simply go into debug mode and give myself some, but that kinda defeats the purpose.  I like working towards it,  I don't like relying on the RNG to get it.. that's not fun.  IMO, you should make it accessable materials, just high cost. (like 1k plassteel and like 300 uranium to build). 

Its your mod, do what you will with it,  but considering that there isn't anything in game saying "Hey, you gotta wait for this to happen before you can use any of the buildings" and you don't have it posted here(on your main post),  maybe look at the amount of people asking about it and consider this constructive feedback and adjust.  You don't have to do exactly what I said above, but it needs tweaking.  Your response clearly states that entry into your mod is entirely based on RNG, and in order for some people to experience the content of your mod, they need to use debug mode.  That should tell you right there it needs tweaking...  Using RNG as a gateway is Pretty bad design, as I'm not working towards it,  Its all luck of the draw. 

Anyway, hope you take this into consideration, and thanks for your response.

Kalshion

Any idea whether this mod is compatible with other mods that have turrets in them?

Ouan

Quote from: Kalshion on August 26, 2015, 01:22:49 AM
Any idea whether this mod is compatible with other mods that have turrets in them?

This mod has worked fine for other turret mods. I currently use three turret introducing mods (A11b) including this one. The trick is to make sure that you use a fresh colony when you introduce them as the techtrees are usually locked after the start of a colony. I have not had an issues with needing a new world for turret mods that do not add resources, but ones that do such as Glittertech usually do.
Damn Pirates!

Sam_

Quote from: ThePhoenix007 on August 26, 2015, 12:54:06 AM

I can understand that, but maybe make the electrolyzer cost a crapton of plassteel, uranium, and steel? most traders have plassteel, fewer have uranium, its expensive.  I'm 12 hours into the game and have seen 1 trader have titanium, i sold every animal i have just to get 74, it was expensive, fortunately, i had the foresight to buy a couple of high end rifles, or the raiders at 12 hours in would have ended me.  I know it's not your mod's fault how frequent the trader is.  But if you look at 99.9% of games that have a tech tier,  they never require you to have the material that you're teching up to, just to make the material, they have some other money sink, or rarity sink.    I know it's supposed to be hard to get and very rare, but, I feel it takes just a little bit too long.   Maybe we disagree on that, maybe others haven't played for 12 hours to still not have any tech and I'm being cursed by the RNG.  Regardless, I could play another week before a trader comes that has the rest of the amount needed to make the electolyzer, AND I have the silver to buy it.  Especially when being constantly mutilated by high end raiders.    Yeah, I could simply go into debug mode and give myself some, but that kinda defeats the purpose.  I like working towards it,  I don't like relying on the RNG to get it.. that's not fun.  IMO, you should make it accessable materials, just high cost. (like 1k plassteel and like 300 uranium to build). 

Its your mod, do what you will with it,  but considering that there isn't anything in game saying "Hey, you gotta wait for this to happen before you can use any of the buildings" and you don't have it posted here(on your main post),  maybe look at the amount of people asking about it and consider this constructive feedback and adjust.  You don't have to do exactly what I said above, but it needs tweaking.  Your response clearly states that entry into your mod is entirely based on RNG, and in order for some people to experience the content of your mod, they need to use debug mode.  That should tell you right there it needs tweaking...  Using RNG as a gateway is Pretty bad design, as I'm not working towards it,  Its all luck of the draw. 

Anyway, hope you take this into consideration, and thanks for your response.

I have had considerable experience with other games that have long expansive tech trees, and infact most of those experiences were mods of said games. An example I can give you is a mod for Minecraft, called GregTech. If you have heard of it you know it requires at least eighty hours of game-play to advance the tech tree, with a long wait on randomly produced resources. In those games they have exactly what you are stating, expensive machines that develop high tier materials like titanium, which is used to build the next tier. The thing you are forgetting is that those games more often then not involve you inventing them or constructing every thing from scratch. Rimworld and my mod do not follow that theme.
Your game represents three people landing on a planet with nothing, but they have access to traders and outside goods. With that in mind, and infact the actual theme of Rimworld itself, which I try to capture in order to extend the game rather then add to it, I don't see how it makes sense to build advanced machinery on your own, without external infrastructure like trade ships.

The abstract reasoning aside, my mod is instead (as I very clearly stated) very hard for some people, and not fun for everyone. In previous statements in this huge thread, in response to similar complaints about difficulty, I have said that this mod is intended to extend game-play for a long time, more then 12 hours. My average game on vanilla Rimworld lasted at least eight to ten in-game years, and probably took more then twenty hours playtime. But, after five hours I had completed the tech tree and had most of the buildings in the game involved in the workings of my colony. So, this mod requires you to always research and always build resources. It also takes advantage of every gameplay element, such as Tradeships.

In response to the RNG I would highlight the entire rest of the game, the story teller, the world, the map, the raids, the other materials you require, even the colonists themselves. All of these features use and depend on RNG, so behold, so does my mod.
Lastly, if you read the other posts just prior to your original post you would note that my mod is getting a major content update, involving the reconstruction of the tech tree and resources. Perhaps that may appeal to you more then, however there will be the dreadful RNG.

darkrage000

Quote from: Sam_ on August 26, 2015, 01:56:32 AM
Quote from: ThePhoenix007 on August 26, 2015, 12:54:06 AM

Sam, dont listen to him. if he doesnt like a harder game, then he can go play minecraft.
Personally, i LOVE you mode, and honestly think youve done a GREAT job with it.

lets be honest. The Mod adds ADVANCED Power Supply, Power Storage and bionics to the game.
its SUPPOSED to be hard! Its what many consider an ENDGAME Tech era.
Dont expect to just make a cobblestone furnace, throw some iron around it in a crafting table and its 10x times more powerful.

Its not like theres nothing to do while you wait for the right trader. What would you have done if there was no Mod installed?

GREAT Mod _Sam! Thanks for your hard effort to make my game more fun!
It 'IS' appreciated.

falloute

How do I get computer components? Can't build any of the factories without them, do I buy them?