[1.1][MODLIST] Glitter Tech

Started by Sam_, August 16, 2014, 05:41:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you think this mod should be broken into smaller mods?

Yes
No
Yes, but have an option for all features in a mod pack.

gpower

Hi Sam. Enjoying your mod so far, though the difficulty suprised me. On vanilla I play on Randy Random Extreme. Trying this mod for the first time on Casandra Classic, I played it like a normal game ignoring most of the new features. I'm lucky to survived my first encounter with the commandos.

However, I do find the specifics of the mod to be confusing. What materials do building the Orion pacifier require specifically? Is the covers as good as a solid wall for cover against incoming fire? And so on. It'll be great if you can compile an FAQ to address these issues.

NihilRex

Loving this mod - so many nice things!  The Advanced Bionics are killers :D

NihilRex

New complaint, not your fault -

I wish I could pull the GT implants off of these corpses... I only got 3 prisoners from a large raid, and almost everyone had at least one GT part...

forsaken1111

Quote from: NihilRex on September 18, 2015, 07:16:23 PM

I wish I could pull the GT implants off of these corpses... I only got 3 prisoners from a large raid, and almost everyone had at least one GT part...
Pulling implants out of corpses has been a popular feature request for a while now, and one which Tynan has generally said no to officially because of "game balance"

johiah

Quote from: forsaken1111 on September 19, 2015, 07:35:13 AM
Quote from: NihilRex on September 18, 2015, 07:16:23 PM

Pulling implants out of corpses has been a popular feature request for a while now, and one which Tynan has generally said no to officially because of "game balance"
So someone will make a community balance patch which everyone will use that fixes that.
"My best warden has no jaw"

Halicia

Hey, late to the party here, but when I think of 'advanced future space tech', one thing that comes to mind is Holograms.

With the appropriate research, I can think of three quick things to build to modernize any new settlement.

1. A stationary hologram thats treated like an enemy that cant die, and doesnt fight back. Namely, training dummy.

2. The same stationary hologram upgraded with an AI core. Can take the place of an ordinary human for social benefits at tables. Placed next to a gaming table (chess/pool/etc) upgrades the game's tech to allow for AI operation.

3. Joy-inducing holodecks. (i'd make it pricy and the joy value in relation to the square root of the size of the room. even small suites shouldn't be constructed with ease, or on a whim. it might be interesting if a discovered ancient zone contained one though. or maybe a crashed luxury liner.)

I'm sure a lot more applications of holographic tech can be dreamed up, but these 3 seemed the easiest to apply. Love it or leave it, your choice. =)

Sam_

Quote from: Halicia on September 20, 2015, 12:06:11 AM
Hey, late to the party here, but when I think of 'advanced future space tech', one thing that comes to mind is Holograms.

With the appropriate research, I can think of three quick things to build to modernize any new settlement.

1. A stationary hologram thats treated like an enemy that cant die, and doesnt fight back. Namely, training dummy.

2. The same stationary hologram upgraded with an AI core. Can take the place of an ordinary human for social benefits at tables. Placed next to a gaming table (chess/pool/etc) upgrades the game's tech to allow for AI operation.

3. Joy-inducing holodecks. (i'd make it pricy and the joy value in relation to the square root of the size of the room. even small suites shouldn't be constructed with ease, or on a whim. it might be interesting if a discovered ancient zone contained one though. or maybe a crashed luxury liner.)

I'm sure a lot more applications of holographic tech can be dreamed up, but these 3 seemed the easiest to apply. Love it or leave it, your choice. =)

Those ideas sound good. I've just started playing this game again, I have long breaks between colonys and updates. And the new animal features and joy systems really expand the possibilities. The ideas you've mentioned all sound good and I can certainly make some kind of holographic research and components, but at the end of the day it's just a shiny coloured sprite, so true holographic looks would be hard to add (with my poor art skills). The new content update is going to have a lot of shiny lights and bells with many whistles, so the bases will now look the part of futuristic base.

The new brain implants obviously make for some crazy bionic abilities, and the pets finally allow me to add robotic servants. Just imagine a 100x1000 field of corn monitored 24/7 by your new expensive robots. This mod is all about taking it to the next level, that means no longer worrying about the old levels, like farming. I have also started working on balance issues, mainly the way around not changing commandos but balancing them, is giving you LOTS of pawns to fight with.

NihilRex

Quote from: Sam_ on September 20, 2015, 03:07:44 AM
This mod is all about taking it to the next level, that means no longer worrying about the old levels, like farming.

My fully GT-bioed test pawn had a cooking of 4, and butchered a muffalo.  I overflowed my storage zone SO badly it was not funny...  several thousand meat from one muffalo.  It was AWESOME!

I had to hand edit MD2's deep storage units to accept raw food as a result.

forsaken1111

Quote from: Sam_ on September 20, 2015, 03:07:44 AMI have also started working on balance issues, mainly the way around not changing commandos but balancing them, is giving you LOTS of pawns to fight with.
Do I sense combat drones in the near future?

Honestly with some good (but expensive) turrets and combat drones I wouldn't mind the commandos at all.

If those drones have a fullly repairable nature (aka you can do 'surgery' to repair damaged bits) and upgradable parts, even better!

Iridescens

FIXED a typos in BodyParts.xml and BodyPartGroups.xml (some 'Front Leg' copy-pasta magic gone wrong).
If anyone's interested in proper (unlike multiple shattered front legs) hediffs on critters please apply.
Put BodyParts.xml in BodyPartDefs folder and BodyPartGroups.xml to BodyPartGroupDefs.

[attachment deleted due to age]

rexx1888

the issue with commandos isnt the amount of pawns you have to kill them :\ they come equipped with all of your goodies, so nerfing them aint a good idea either. just increase the cost of spawning them, so instead of giving the player more troops to attack them with, you give the commandoes less commandoes.. it also happens to make them actual commandos, solo operators an such.

even then though, the apb weapons are really rad, but the game isnt balanced around them at all. has anyone tested whether low flammability stuff actually helps keep pawns from running around like loons? couse if they it does, you just need to add a bunch of insulated items to your mod to balance out all the flaming death weapons :D

Sam_

The number of pawns you have certainly balance the scales, unless of course you aren't using any tactics and just brute forcing a raid with a wall of turrets like everyone else seems to. Also, I said pawns, not colonists, so picture an army of robots or a massive wave of friendlies coming to support you.

forsaken1111

After losing a few commando raids I eventually just made a long corridor full of traps and made an avoid zone around it for my colonists. My 2 sharpshooters sit at the end with sniper rifles. Now I get regular deliveries of weapons and armor*, and the occasional prisoner full of augmentations and organs.

rexx1888

drones are cool, i wont say no to drones. Good balance though, doesnt come by adding more an more mechanics to your system. you have to identify why your mechanic isnt working and then solve the problem. if the problem for commando power is that there arent enough bodies for them to shoot at... well, thats a strange problem to have tbh

Sam_

Quote from: rexx1888 on September 30, 2015, 08:31:29 AM
drones are cool, i wont say no to drones. Good balance though, doesnt come by adding more an more mechanics to your system. you have to identify why your mechanic isnt working and then solve the problem. if the problem for commando power is that there arent enough bodies for them to shoot at... well, thats a strange problem to have tbh

Good balance doesn't come when you have more pawns that you can direct around like...pawns? How are you fighting in Rimworld? do you just leave them in doorways and watch them get hit by gunfire? Also I don't see why friendlies coming to help would not help balance it out, seeing as they aren't your work force. Thanks for stating to obvious about mechanics by the way, I'll be sure to remember that because a clearly don't have I firm grasp on the game...