[1.5][MODLIST] Glitter Tech Classic

Started by Sam_, August 16, 2014, 05:41:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you think this mod should be broken into smaller mods?

Yes
No
Yes, but have an option for all features in a mod pack.

Cabdono

Apparently futuristic fictional "glitterworlds" that are supposed to be hundreds of years more advanced couldn't have perfected or even improved arms and armor based on today's standards, this need for spoonfed "Balance" is quite ridiculous. Life isn't balanced or fair, and if someone says, it's a game not real life, then don't ask for silly realism or idealistic balance on a game like this.

Ps. Great mod for late game fun. Keep up the good work.

Hammerskyne

Sam_: not the user you replied to, but as my post is just after his, I figure this at least partially applies to me as well.

First, let me say that when I say the items are hilariously overpowered, or other hyperbole, that's not intended as an insult to you. It is, in my opinion, true, but that doesn't make the work you've done or the path you've struck invalid. The numbers you've used are simply so far outside the scope of the normal game that it leads to silly situations, and I think that a few people might find that undesirable.

I think it's really really important to remember that 'balance' and of course relative power levels of mods and games and items thereof is an almost totally subjective discussion to have, and the way it dominates most conversation to the point of people attacking mod authors over those concerns is not only unfortunate, but downright unhealthy to a robust modding and tinkering culture. Mad props to you for all your work on this mod, and thanks for putting to together for people like us to play with, bitch over, and tweak.

Finally: If you'd like to have numbers and balancing discussion, would you like input? I'd be happy to try and write up some stuff to explain more of where I'd like to see the values go, but of course if your vision of the mod is totally solid and you don't want to make any changes I won't trouble you with such.

Sam_

The second half was supposed to quote you, because I intended it as a reply. But, I wouldn't take it very seriously, I was operating on little sleep. At this stage, since no updates beyond version iteration occur in this thread the only feedback I receive is negative or constantly critical of my mod. I don't really mind any feedback, but constantly being told the values I consciously decided upon, coded and tested are incorrect or over powered does get old fast. I haven't somehow made a mistake when writing the weapon stats, since I use my own mods in my own games I would immediately know a value is off the mark.

I realise the discussion of balance is less about my mod and more about my mod in addition to other mods. However, going to the term subjective, the intent of my mod, from your perspective, is to add over powered items. Since day one of Glitter tech my mod was basically Powered Armor*10 and Sniper Rifle*10. Every item is supposed to be an order of magnitude better then the vanilla items.

It's not meant to add to the pool of items for vanilla game-play, it is suppose to change the game-play entirely. Instead of the same old mega colony with a kill-box that you have built a dozen times you are suppose to have your base leveled every time you are raided by commandos whilst you hide in a distant cave. Try and come up with a defense against the commandos as they are now, using something creative, as a challenge. That is the point of my mod.

If this hasn't fully explained my mods intent, perhaps you could try flicking through the previous pages in this thread. Over a year or more ago on page 20 or 30 you will find people complaining about balance. You will find people complaining about balance as the new features were released, and you will find me replying to them with a similar response. So, have I failed to balance my mod for over a year, or is it just the design of my mod?

The last thing to mention is a fun topic know as user entitlement. Mods are kind of in a strange area, because they are not commercial products, yet some modders dedicate enough time and effort to them to regard the project as more then a fun thing they decided to do one day. Most mods fall somewhere in-between. So, when dealing with user feedback, I'll often find a lot of people tell me how "disgusting" or terrible one feature or another is, as if they have lost something because of my mod. When people tell me to balance the mod to their own vision of what the values should be, they make a serious effort to tell me how I should design the weapons and buildings and crafting.

Yet, those features are entirely my own design. If they dislike my creation, they could simply find a better one, made by somebody else, or make their own. I see no reason whatsoever to change my mod to suit a few people when so many others appear to have downloaded and used my mod as it is.

Hammerskyne

Fair enough. I totally hear you on the subject of entitlement and expectations, and have seen that particular poison in basically every community I've participated in over the last few decades, to a greater or lesser extent. People all think they have an idea of what a game should be, and what they forget is in everyone's separate mind, they're all substantially different games.

Glittertech, in my mind, is a fantastic endgame content mod. The numbers are high, and the mechanics are different and cool when compared to vanilla or even most of the rest of the modding scene. I remember playing around with the Alpha and Beta poly stuff years ago and trying to make a Gladius, I think? That resulted in something like a 60 day crafting session. Good times. And yeah, it has always been (from what I've experienced and my assumption of your intention) about surviving that first Merc or OC raid with enough people alive to pick up the guns and then become like unto gods. Which is compelling, no doubt.

All that said, I really enjoy discussing numbers, balance, and relative power vs. intention and narrative backpinning of content. Is Glittertech feature complete? If it is, or you'd just rather not hear any of it, I won't trouble you with my opinions, as you have every right to build your own mod how you like. All the best Sam, truly sorry if what I wrote out came off as an attack on your work.

moonra

Don't worry, I removed it myself based on your feedback and because honestly it was a rush job to make me not have to deal with the OP equipment in my game, so I have no issues admitting I did a poor job of balancing, which I claimed to have done.

I'm sorry if I came off a bit brash on the criticism, sometimes you can easily forget that a mod is not just a bunch of text files with values on it but someone's creative work and time spent.

I do think you should've had someone go over and fix the grammar/spelling mistakes on your mod, though.

Disenfranchised

Hey Sam_, so playing through on the A17 update and only noticed one issue that I don't believe used to be in the A16 distro; but the wall lights don't appear to conform to the rest of the walls. Neither do the wall windows. Just thought I'd give ya a heads up.

On another note, I appreciate your mod quite a bit. I don't usually make comments here, but truly its a fun mod. It gives me some form of ultimate goal I work towards throughout the game. I did have one question however, was the commandos "faction" removed? As I don't see them as a faction any longer.

MMAciek

Hey, Sam! What is that? This is your's commando, i can't do execution (after his head... hmm, he haven't xD) and give freedom... nothing.

Stand among the millions of dead souls and ask them if they honor means something. Silence will be your answer.

Xyntak

How are you supposed to get the Speed Skin Suit? I remember being able to find them in A16 but since getting A17 I haven't seen a single one.

nefarian11

Hey Sam, is there any way to remove the fire spreading effect from the APB weapons? I've started to make colonies in biomes without flammable stuff because of that =/

I really like the mod but those damn fire spreading abominations get boring after a while of extinguishing forest fires :P

rambo

combat extended patch comming soon?

nefarian11

I recently had to uninstall Rimworld and all mods, just finished installing it and it appears that the Orion corp helmet texture is missing, and spawns as a huge pink square. This is causing all kinds of fps issues even with 1 of those helmets in entire map.

Tried uninstalling and installing the mod again, didn't work. Tried changing load order (even if i'm 100% sure this has nothing to do with it, only mods installed are QoL) but didn't change anything.

I don't think it's on my end, anyone is having the same problem?

Error Message from the in-game log:

Failed to find any texture while constructing Multi(initPath=Things/Pawn/Humanlike/Apparel/MilitaryHelmet/MilitaryHelmet, color=RGBA(0.600, 0.600, 1.000, 1.000), colorTwo=RGBA(1.000, 1.000, 1.000, 1.000))

saltine

I have a bug where my pawns who wear Speed Skin Suits lose their ability to pathfind so they just get stuck "Standing" all the time. I have a long modlist, which I can paste later, but I was wondering if this is a common issue due to some common mod interaction or something.

saltine

It turns out that the issue was with Sensor Panels flooring. A pawn wearing a Speed Skin Suit absolutely refuses to walk on them, so if their path requires them to cross one no matter what, they will get stuck.

Pararoid

I ran into that bug too.

Patiently waiting but super keen for an update that allows us to craft the advanced items added :)

Luckspeare

Would also love to see a Combat Extended compliant version/patch.