[1.5][MODLIST] Glitter Tech Classic

Started by Sam_, August 16, 2014, 05:41:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you think this mod should be broken into smaller mods?

Yes
No
Yes, but have an option for all features in a mod pack.

Sam_

I'm not sure how cloaking would work. I would have to finally relent and start coding .dlls
I much prefer simple brute force. Now that we have prosthetics you can look forward to some serious body augmentations next.

Slowtapus

Love the mod! The weapons are outrageous and the other features are really nice. I wish I was as good at making textures as you are.

However it doesn't appear that the titanium structures have research prerequisites set. As well the titanium structures added by the mod are quite weak. Especially the blast door which seems more like it was meant to withstand sneezing. The vanilla stuff based structures using titanium are very tough though.

Sam_

Ah right!

Thanks for reminding me. I clearly forget the research prerequisites in the new wallDefs. The way that materials work in Alpha 7 is different, so the vanilla walls using titanium are defined differently from buildings using titanium in a cost list. I'll rebalance the values.

If you could provide feedback about where you see weapons and armour, ie: from commandos, or from traders and how much they cost you it would be an excellent help.

Edit: Now updated to v0.65 see change log for details

Dragoon

I see most weapons from the exotic goods/weapon traders but the price is usually around 850-950 for lower the guns expensive but worth the cost however the cost for the nano fiber skin suit /speed suit I feel is to high I rather pay like 500-600 for than then how much they cost. Sorry I can't remember the exact cost. (I use the prepare carefully mod and I cant afford that armor even by removing someone a person usually costs around 1000 + points to add.
Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

Zeta Omega

Apb weapons = Better knockout chance
MG weapons = DEATH TO ALL TARGETS

Also whats up with the platinum thing? I don't have any and the sign for it is there

MelanisticAlbino

Hey there!

Just thought I'd share my first experience with the mod. I'm convinced it's really good, it seems to add a lot things that I would want to have in the game.

Unfortunately the second encounter in the game, just minutes after I had managed to get everyone a bed to sleep in, a raider spawned... with a full nano suit and some really advanced weapon. Needless to say my colonists were slaughtered without mercy.

Was this a bug caused by me using this mod in conjunction with a couple of other mods or is this not something that you have not yet addressed?

Otherwise the features look really cool! :)

Axel

Quote from: MelanisticAlbino on October 16, 2014, 05:16:25 PM
Hey there!

Just thought I'd share my first experience with the mod. I'm convinced it's really good, it seems to add a lot things that I would want to have in the game.

Unfortunately the second encounter in the game, just minutes after I had managed to get everyone a bed to sleep in, a raider spawned... with a full nano suit and some really advanced weapon. Needless to say my colonists were slaughtered without mercy.

Was this a bug caused by me using this mod in conjunction with a couple of other mods or is this not something that you have not yet addressed?

Otherwise the features look really cool! :)

I dont believe thats a bug. It seems more like poor luck.

Sam_

Yes, Indeed it was bad luck. The difficulty of raids scale, hence why you had only ONE commando. Normal raiders don't spawn with any weapons in this mod, so you still get the vanilla experience.

In regards to price I could drop the price a bit. I just thought having a piece of apparel that made you either close to bullet proof, or very fast, which also fits underneath most clothing was somewhat OP. If I recall a lot of the bionic implants you can purchase are in the thousands.

If someone has done a longer play through of my mod, I would love to hear about an encounter with a commando squad vs your titanium walls and rail guns.

Axel

@Sam
I'll give it a go later today. You want to see how good the defenses are right? That way I know where to focus my attention.

I agree with canute that the weapons are OP when fighting other factions other than the commandos themselves. So it comes down to nerfing the weapons a bit so that theyre still more powerful than the raiders but raiders have a better chance at winning a fight. Or as he suggested make the commandos an even bigger threat or make a new threat entirely. And seeing as youre also going into bionics you could try making Androids that are superior to the Commandos because they feel no pain and are overall 20% more efficient.

Tsilliev

wow with the APB-1 pistol its so easy to defend vs zombies, if it wasn't for the pistol I would be dead already :D, and also there was this commando that dropped in my base, he was full of armor, I sent all my 3 guys to melee hit him, he started running, and 16 hours later at the edge of the map my guys still hitting him but he went away. :D Well now if it comes to realism, if there is a guy with armor and there are people that melee hit with pistol I understand the risk of getting damaged is low but lol 16 h of hitting and only 6-7 hits, that was funny, I guess I need to re-arm my people with more advanced weapons. :D

Torch512

How do you make the Magnetic Coils? Ive got all the research done but cant seem to find where to make or find the coils. traders Dont seem to have them either

MelanisticAlbino

I like this mod but had do disable it because of balance reason. I get raided by overpowerered commandos too often unfortunately :/

Anyone knows how to disable or make the commandos appear less often?

Sam_

SO, the general consensus is that the weapons are too OP, and armour too strong?

Ok, I could start a poll, but I'll just ask here; Would you prefer weapons were nerfed to be used better with vanilla raids, and add balance with other mods. Or, would you prefer I up the difficulty of commandos, add new threats and just give the mod a higher tier of difficulty above normal gameplay?

Another option would be to make the items much, much rarer. But, I feel making the features of the mod so hard to get is no fun at all. Let me know what you think.

In regards to the resource production I have a few ideas for a crafting system to produce Titanium and magnetic coils, plus maybe a few new materials...
I also plan to add some higher end bionics, droid workers and maybe much better defense systems to just turrets and walls. See what happens.

Able1

Quote from: Sam_ on October 17, 2014, 06:54:52 PM
SO, the general consensus is that the weapons are too OP, and armour too strong?

Ok, I could start a poll, but I'll just ask here; Would you prefer weapons were nerfed to be used better with vanilla raids, and add balance with other mods. Or, would you prefer I up the difficulty of commandos, add new threats and just give the mod a higher tier of difficulty above normal gameplay?

Another option would be to make the items much, much rarer. But, I feel making the features of the mod so hard to get is no fun at all. Let me know what you think.

Hey there

I really enjoyed playing with your mod, I love the concept that there is an elite faction out there.  HOWEVER....

I think the weapons and armour are totally OP.  I started a new colony did really well, had a bit of luck at the start and then bought a couple of the APB rifles from the Exotic Goods trader, and that was that.  My two pawns armed with their rifles were enough to stop any assault on my base, even a year and a half down the line when they were throwing masses of pirates at me my 2 guys just went out there and tore through the enemy.  UNTIL...

The AI finally dropped a Commando Faction raid on me, 20+ Commando's.  I didnt manage to take out even one of them, honestly they could have dropped a couple on me and I still would have been up the creak.  I had set up a turret kill zone in my base as a fall back (old habits) and they didnt touch these armour clad brutes.

In short I had a great game, which ultimately ends when the AI drops a Commando raid on you, in my case I guess I was lucky to have got as far as I did.

I have been trying to think of ways to add a little balance in and honestly I think the only way is to nerf the weapons.  I would suggest toning down the rates of fire and the resists on the armour types, perhaps making some of them give stat buffs rather than insanely high values.  Or perhaps add in a turret/device that neutralizes or debuff's their armour allowing you to create kill zones for them.

On the other hand I though this would make a rather good event/encounter, kind of like a predator scenario drop one or two commando's that target one member of the colony at a time and will withdraw if they succeed in killing their target, withdraw the weapons/armour from the trade ships making them ultra rare and you have a rather splendid game of cat and mouse with the choice to either sacrifice the target or attempt to kill them getting a really nice reward of their gear.  Just a thought, dont even know if that would be possible, I'm not a modder.

With regard to the materials and building stuff, well I never did figure out if you could find/mine Titanium and could never afford to buy it in any great quantity so not sure what to make of that aspect.   

Sorry for the really long post, please please take this as constructive criticism, I really love the concept of this mod and hope you develop it further, it will remain in my mods list.

Thanks for reading

Axel

Personally both would be ideal. The weapons are extremely OP And nerfing the weapons could lead to some intense fights (at least for me) because they would be prolonged now giving the player more time to repress the attack.

Right now the Commandos remind me so much of the Mandalorians (Not the Taung ones that are aliens but the ones that accepted all life forms). When going with adding a new threat it would be nice to see something of the same caliber that the Mandalorians had to face. Two good examples were the Mandallian's a race of Giants that were on par with them and for the most part were melee fighters and the Mythosaur which was a huge dragon like creature and by huge I mean city-size proportions (of course this seems like the least viable of the two). Of course this isn't a Star Wars mod but when resembled to other fictional creations the Mandalorians are on par with your Commandos so looking at the different enemies the Mandalorians had might give you an idea of how powerful the new threats should be (and the threat shouldn't just be for the colony, it should be one the commandos also have to face). I'm actually going to test out the lightsabers from a different mod and see if the commandos can withstand the OHK that raiders get.

In regards to the resource production I have a few ideas for a crafting system to produce Titanium and magnetic coils, plus maybe a few new materials...
I also plan to add some higher end bionics, droid workers and maybe much better defense systems to just turrets and walls. See what happens.
As for resources, Titanium is a natural occurring element so you could maybe make it mine-able but rather than dropping Titanium dropping a block which then has to be crafted into Titanium. Also while on the topic of crafting I suggest that if you're going to make weapons craftable nerf them down significantly more than what you already would.

Defense Sytems? Bionics?! Droids!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Do tell!!!!!!!!!!  :D :D :D :D :D

Quote from: Able1 on October 17, 2014, 08:02:35 PM
*Clip*
.... Elite Faction....
*Clip*
THIS^^^^ I actually enjoy this too. Which is why I'm OK with them being somewhat overpowered. (its a lot better than being bumrushed by 100 raiders constantly.)

Quote from: Able1 on October 17, 2014, 08:02:35 PM
On the other hand I though this would make a rather good event/encounter, kind of like a predator scenario drop one or two commando's that target one member of the colony at a time and will withdraw if they succeed in killing their target, withdraw the weapons/armour from the trade ships making them ultra rare and you have a rather splendid game of cat and mouse with the choice to either sacrifice the target or attempt to kill them getting a really nice reward of their gear.  Just a thought, dont even know if that would be possible, I'm not a modder.

I would think that it is possible seeing as your colonists can be kidnapped. Maybe ask Minami for a bit of help with that? IDK. But giving the commandos better tactics than the avg. raider could add to the difficulty without the need to nerf the armors, but still nerfing the weapons. And again the commandos resemble elite (no not the ones from Halo) units that can take a base down with only a handful of guys. The Mandalorians could fight a Jedi and come out winning if its a fair fight. And with the Predators, those bastards are just hard to kill.

Good Luck with the mod though. This can go so far with a good mix bit of originality and a bit of borrowing from similar fictitious groups that are just as OP. And if there's one important thing i want you to take out of my long post is that the Commandos are fine as an Elite Force but different tactics should be implemented so that there's more variety when it comes to facing them, and just nerf down the equipment a bit.
Also has anyone tried meleeing a Centipede while wearing the armors yet? if so, is it still one hit kill?