[1.5][MODLIST] Glitter Tech Classic

Started by Sam_, August 16, 2014, 05:41:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you think this mod should be broken into smaller mods?

Yes
No
Yes, but have an option for all features in a mod pack.

Patrykbono20

Slowtapus

I've had a game that I encountered 2 commando groups actually. One that was around 20, one that was 13. The one with 13 I literally just had to wait until they started killing each other. Lucrative haul. However the second one I sent a few people out to take care of them... without realizing the APB-1 projector was longer range than the EMRG-1.

Long story short the 3 I sent out (geared with gear from the last commando group) killed about 5 before getting slaughtered and causing them to give up the siege and attack. I had stone walls, embrasures, a blast door, 2 EMRG turrets and 2 Heavy Turrets (different mod) so I figured I would be fine and armed up my last 4 colonists with APB Pistols and put them at the embrasures. Yet the commandos rounded the corner, decimated the turrets, blew open the front of my base, killed 2 colonists and just kidnapped them and left. Without losing any more.

My opinion thus far is that it all is EXTREMELY powerful. It's sort of like... if you don't have Glitter Tech gear and you fight Glitter Tech gear you are bringing a wet towel to a gun fight.

I still love it and I don't think there needs to be nerfing perse. I think there needs to be more filler. Move the current guns and armor UP in price and difficulty of acquiring. High enough that enemies do not spawn with them. Maybe nerf the armor some. Then add tech that is sort of half way between the outrageous awesomeness that is APB Projectors and MRG Rifles on Nano+Reactive soldiers.

That or make the current tech something that enemies just can't spawn with and make a tier of tech one down. Maybe add in crafting.

The other thing I have found is that EMRG and MRG are not what beat nano armor. The shots still practically all bounce. It's the APB projector with it's burns that incap nano+reactive soldiers and it's the ONLY thing that works reasonably well. It actually works really well. The first shot, if it lands, generally lights them on fire and makes them panic and then it's just a shooting gallery. Because of how it works though the trigger happy trait is outrageously OP with it. Since it generally won't miss so bad that it won't still catch it's target in it's radius and light them on fire. So whoever fires first wins.

That's how I lost my soldiers. Who all had 12+ shooting and all 3 of them got taken out by a 2 shooting enemy who was trigger happy.

All in all the bigger problem to me seems to be the armor and the fact that it requires non-piercing based weapons to counter. I'd personally like at least a renaming of the reactive armor though. Since it's good for more than one use.

Tsilliev

Quote from: Sam_ on October 17, 2014, 06:54:52 PM
SO, the general consensus is that the weapons are too OP, and armour too strong?

Ok, I could start a poll, but I'll just ask here; Would you prefer weapons were nerfed to be used better with vanilla raids, and add balance with other mods. Or, would you prefer I up the difficulty of commandos, add new threats and just give the mod a higher tier of difficulty above normal gameplay?

Another option would be to make the items much, much rarer. But, I feel making the features of the mod so hard to get is no fun at all. Let me know what you think.

In regards to the resource production I have a few ideas for a crafting system to produce Titanium and magnetic coils, plus maybe a few new materials...
I also plan to add some higher end bionics, droid workers and maybe much better defense systems to just turrets and walls. See what happens.
Yes please, drop down the damage, increase cooldown, lower armor block stats and add auto repairing walls that require 10 wat per wall.  :D

Dibblah

In general I agree with nerfing the weapons and armor, but not all that much actually.

What makes the weapons really op is not so much the damage they do but their rate of fire, except for the APB projector none of the guns have a noticeable cooldown which, combined with their high damage means that it only takes a few seconds to kill your target.

I would suggest the following:

APB pistols to have RoF/CD of the UZI or close to.
MRG pistols to have RoF/CD of the Pistol or close to.

APB rifle to have only slightly better RoF/CD of the M16 or M4.
MRG rifle to be singleshot like the Enfield but with higher RoF.

EMRG to have only slightly better RoF/CD than the M24.

As to the APB projector, it's pretty much good as is, maybe a bit less damage at the point of impact, but definitly keep the AoE aspect. As for it's RoF/CD it's ok, maybe a tad slower than it currently is, but not by much.

As to the armor, if nerfed at all then only a small bit, nano armor+reactive armor = immunity to ballistic weapons aka the M24, M16 etc. Best weapons against commandos with that armor combo is the M4.

Dibblah

I like the Vibro Knife idea, gives your colonists a chance at taking out the commandoes even if you don't have ranged energy weapons

Sam_

Thanks for the feedback guys, it's extremely useful. I think I'll go through and redo the weapon statistics to make them a bit more balanced. Less fire rate being the key feature. In response to the pistols decimating normal raids, that is kind of the purpose of this mod, to raise the bar above vanilla. But, sadly just by coding XML files it's not possible to make commandos raid later on, it's totally random, and I can't make the trader rarely sell items, either they do or they don't.

Right now the Commandos remind me so much of the Mandalorians (Not the Taung ones that are aliens but the ones that accepted all life forms). When going with adding a new threat it would be nice to see something of the same caliber that the Mandalorians had to face. Two good examples were the Mandallian's a race of Giants that were on par with them and for the most part were melee fighters and the Mythosaur which was a huge dragon like creature and by huge I mean city-size proportions (of course this seems like the least viable of the two). Of course this isn't a Star Wars mod but when resembled to other fictional creations the Mandalorians are on par with your Commandos so looking at the different enemies the Mandalorians had might give you an idea of how powerful the new threats should be (and the threat shouldn't just be for the colony, it should be one the commandos also have to face). I'm actually going to test out the lightsabers from a different mod and see if the commandos can withstand the OHK that raiders get.

I think perhaps buffing the mecha raids, or adding a new robotic enemy could be the most viable enemy in response to commandos. I want to try and avoid adding a monster that's natural to the "rimworld". I prefer to maintain the vanilla world and it's lore.

As for resources, Titanium is a natural occurring element so you could maybe make it mine-able but rather than dropping Titanium dropping a block which then has to be crafted into Titanium. Also while on the topic of crafting I suggest that if you're going to make weapons craftable nerf them down significantly more than what you already would.

My general idea is that this mods adds things beyond the capability of a small colony, and the Titanium resource is an obscure titanium alloy used for starships, not to mention a rare metal in natural generation. And also, like above I wanted to avoid touching world generation, but I suppose adding a rare ore wouldn't hurt anyway.

I love the idea of making Commandos more tactical, killing only one, or taking hostages, but aside from writing DLLs, the XML just doesn't allow for advanced tactics that aren't already in the game. As of yet there's no predator like behaviour for pawns. I suppose I could make the commandos siege more often or add an event similar to the AI core, where commandos defend a crashed piece, or some kind of crate full of technology.

All in all the bigger problem to me seems to be the armor and the fact that it requires non-piercing based weapons to counter. I'd personally like at least a renaming of the reactive armor though. Since it's good for more than one use.
I'm planning on adding more turrets and defensive feature that get through Nano suits better, maybe a melee weapon that nullifies them as someone suggested. Also, it's the future. Perhaps the reaction that occurs is an electro-magnetic force that changes trajectories of incoming high velocity projectiles to paths that miss or bounce off armour at more harmless angles. (maybe I'll put that in the item description, because that sounds lovely)

MisterLock

SO, the general consensus is that the weapons are too OP, and armour too strong?

Ok, I could start a poll, but I'll just ask here; Would you prefer weapons were nerfed to be used better with vanilla raids, and add balance with other mods. Or, would you prefer I up the difficulty of commandos, add new threats and just give the mod a higher tier of difficulty above normal gameplay?

One thing you could maybe do is contact Evul,developer of project armoury,You could adress him and feelime about balancing your weapons,they look great and all But yeah they are a tad bit powerfull.They did help me often in zombie atacks,they get so big late game that your overpowered weapons are very usefull since I didn't yet research improved turrets(Killroy's turret mod).
Like I said,maybe contact Evul about balancing regards?His mod adds lots of weapons but none that are really that focused on future tech(mostly gunpowder era weapons and our era weapons)
Another option would be to make the items much, much rarer. But, I feel making the features of the mod so hard to get is no fun at all. Let me know what you think.

I for one think the current equipment commandos get should be split into a entirely new section pawn called:The elite Commando.He would be incredibly rare,with maybe 2-3 per larger group and would have the same equipment the majority of the current Commando's spawn with...
I mean I know this would be alot of work for you,to add lower grade nano suit armour and lower grade pulse weapons(keep in mind the Evul balancing idea) but I think it would adress the weapons to OP,to common issue

Also as a close up to my comment,maybe add some sort of richer background story to the Commando faction?I really like what Tynan did with the Vanilla faction story's,The Nomad Raiders,The Overpopulated tribes,and the Outlander towns...When I see the description of your faction :"A group of commandos",it just kinda throws me off...I mean...Are they from space?Are they settled on the same Rimworld you are in?Do they procure their weapons through very corrupt Glitterworld leaders?Why are they harrasing a colony on a distant Rimworld?
Would be nice!
To each his own.

Sam_

Ah, the commando faction was originally hidden from view, hence the short description. I kind of get the feel that the details about the factions and everything in Rimworld is meant to be vague, but I can add a bit more to "a group of commandos" certainly.

Zeta Omega

This is to the people who think this mod is op. Its meant to be, If you don't like it change some of the coding and make it harder. I like the mod the way it is

Dragoon

Quote from: Zeta Omega on October 21, 2014, 04:29:15 PM
This is to the people who think this mod is op. Its meant to be, If you don't like it change some of the coding and make it harder. I like the mod the way it is

I agree!!!
Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

Axel

Quote from: Sam_ on August 16, 2014, 05:41:59 AM
Description:
Ever since I saw the description of the Power Armor mention "Glitterworld" planets, I have been intrigued by the idea of distant advanced planets, and the technology that must abound there. My ideas for this mod include adding a selection of high tier advanced items to offset the multitude of medieval and lesser items, but (hopefully) keeping it balanced with the progression of the game.

Well based on Sam_'s decription I'd say youre incorrect. Yes the mod is supposed to be harder, but he also intends to make it balanced, NOT OP as it currently is. And those of us "complaining" distinguish High Tier and OP to be different things so when we "complain" its because we distinguished that and assumed, based on Sam_'s description, that he would like to know how others fell about the of balance the mod so that he can later make the mod less powerful. Thus meaning my good sir that this mod is not meant to be OP. And if you do not like that you may make the mod easier.

P.S., this is just something that bothers me as a writer, do proofread your post because I do believe you meant easier in your post and to be a dickhead i made the same mistake, obviously in reverse, on purpose. Sorry for being a dickhead and sounding like a douche.

BinaryBlackhole

Anti dropod lasers or shields the glitter worlds wouldn't just let thing fall on top of their cities now would they you can't have raiders landing behind your defenses also holographic door for sneak attacks.

Also radiation shielding which is an upgrade that makes  things immune to solar flares but requires more power or alternatively a radiation shield that neutralise solar flares in its range.

Sam_

Quote from: BinaryBlackhole on October 22, 2014, 03:34:37 AM
Anti dropod lasers or shields the glitter worlds wouldn't just let thing fall on top of their cities now would they you can't have raiders landing behind your defenses also holographic door for sneak attacks.

Also radiation shielding which is an upgrade that makes  things immune to solar flares but requires more power or alternatively a radiation shield that neutralise solar flares in its range.

Some excellent ideas. I'm certain that solar flares are hard coded into anything that consumes power ( Another mod on the forum had the same issue, I forget the source). And, I would presume the same is true with drop pods. I could, however, think about tesla coils to fry those suckers as they leave their drop pods.
But, the actual fact is, Glitter worlds are so advanced and arrogant, that no pirates or rogue commandos even make it past the defensive orbital platforms and fleets to the planet, to drop into the atmosphere.
Yes I did just invent some arbitrary lore to cover my ass.

Quote from: Axel on October 21, 2014, 11:09:36 PM
Quote from: Sam_ on August 16, 2014, 05:41:59 AM
Description:
Ever since I saw the description of the Power Armor mention "Glitterworld" planets, I have been intrigued by the idea of distant advanced planets, and the technology that must abound there. My ideas for this mod include adding a selection of high tier advanced items to offset the multitude of medieval and lesser items, but (hopefully) keeping it balanced with the progression of the game.

Well based on Sam_'s decription I'd say youre incorrect. Yes the mod is supposed to be harder, but he also intends to make it balanced, NOT OP as it currently is. And those of us "complaining" distinguish High Tier and OP to be different things so when we "complain" its because we distinguished that and assumed, based on Sam_'s description, that he would like to know how others fell about the of balance the mod so that he can later make the mod less powerful. Thus meaning my good sir that this mod is not meant to be OP. And if you do not like that you may make the mod easier.

P.S., this is just something that bothers me as a writer, do proofread your post because I do believe you meant easier in your post and to be a dickhead i made the same mistake, obviously in reverse, on purpose. Sorry for being a dickhead and sounding like a douche.

Quite an entertaining post. You are correct based off my description of course, but perhaps I should tweak that description, as I haven't changed it since v0.1. The idea is to only add things a tier above vanilla game play. Taken literally, I mean vanilla threats should be nothing by comparison. Of course, I may nerf things now, because my lazy ass can't be bothered to release more high tier threats to make my mod make sense.

v0.7 should be a total overhaul of what I have here.

MisterLock

v0.7 should be a total overhaul of what I have here.

As in actually adding those tiers of enemies and weapons that you said you were to lazy to add?
Also can I please adres a minor annoyance?All the damn light walls,each single wall has it's own slot into the building sistem...Now I wouldn't had minded that so much with the old construction sistem without the stuff but now it's just way to cluttered...basically having like 3 building contruction for all the materials and then having 10 more individual ones for the walls with lights.
To each his own.

Axel