[1.5][MODLIST] Glitter Tech Classic

Started by Sam_, August 16, 2014, 05:41:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you think this mod should be broken into smaller mods?

Yes
No
Yes, but have an option for all features in a mod pack.

palandus

Tried this mod out. Loving it, a lot... well, except when I get a commando squad invading my base with all EMRG-1s when I have pistols and a single Enfield for defense hahaha... (aka I'm screwed)

So, after having played it for a while now, I have some suggestions:

1) Make all the weapons and armor craftable, with say Titanium, Hyperweave, and Plasmsteel. Make it a more later game option for players that just want a few pieces that they just can't get from commando squads or trade vessels. But make the research timely (ie say have 3 research topics, 1 for weapons, 1 for armor, and 1 for skin suits) and the production costs of these items pricy, to indicate their rarity.

2) Shield Generators might be a nice addition, for both personal use and base use.

3) Make it so that Commandos only arrive later on in the game, when you have a slight chance of survival. Getting a Commando squad within the first 5 days is overkill... particularly if there is like 8 Commandos. I thought they were attracted to Glitterworld Tech, not to run of the mill Tech. So, I'd say that have Commandos only begin to come once you research the first part of Glitterworld Technology (the one that unlocks Titanium) OR you purchase a Glitterworld Technology, such as an EMRG-1 from a Trader.

4) Allow commandos to spawn with more than one Bionic Part installed.

5) Introduce advanced Bionic Parts, that are far superior to regular Bionic Parts. Ex. An Advanced Bionic Arm, which has 50% more health and performs 50% better than a regular Bionic Arm, but over twice as expensive.

5) Introduce Full Bionic Parts for the Entire Body: Organs, Limbs, Head, Brain, Spine, Torso, etc... So that we can actually convert a human into a cybernetic entity, far superior to any human. Ex. Data in Star Trek.

6) Allow us to research a way to create Steam Geysers wherever we wish, so that we can place the New Power Plant wherever we wish.

7) New Power Options: Lake-Based Power (If the power plant currently takes Xenon from water, what about the water in lakes?), Fission / Fusion Power, etc...

8) Allow us to create those Magnetrons (or w/e its called) with sufficiently high research.

9) Turrets for each larger rifles currently in the mod, like the EMRG-1 Turret.

10) A way to build AI Persona Cores.

11) An automatic researcher robot that performs research for you. Requires an AI Persona Core.

12) Robots in general!

13) Titanium Bunkers! Something with a very small area that allows the occupant to be hit, but doesn't prevent them from hitting anyone else. The perfect infantry defense!

Axel

Hey Sam. How you doing pal?
Quick question before I go on to a larger post about Glitter Tech and A8.
When would be seeing a functionality update for the mod so we can use it on A8?

Now on to suggestions and tid bits like that to be added during A8. :D
The first few are going to be related to the new features A8 has given us and the second half will be suggestions to fit Tynans lore and the lore you've made for this mod.

1) What with temperature being the biggest new thing i would think you could implement some glitter level temperature items. Seeing as right now the heaters and AC units dont increase the temps dramatically, as they shouldnt, you need quite a few to freeze them to death or kill them in a firey inferno, although thats a waste of skin and meat. I was thinking having similar items that increase and decrease temp far beyond what the heater and ac do. However the drawback to these items would be that you first must built a temp. control center with an AI core and then you can manually control the temperature the Glitter Heater and Glitter AC (thats what im naming them as right now). However the second drawback is that while its powerful against your enemies its just as powerful against you. Sorta like a HAL 9000, it may go crazy and try to kill you. or you can just remove the idea of an AI core (seeing as some of us do enjoy playing in the outdoors rather than cooped inside mountains) and just make the Glitter Heater and Glitter AC for those biomes with extreme weather conditions such as desert and tundra.
2) (Not quite sure if this one's doable) Now that we have the cryptosleep shrines you could make the commandos appear in them and they can either be deserters, who will be friendly to you and join your faction or just leave the map and make their own faction (this is the piece im the least sure about), OR glitter world guards from long ago that when awakened meant there was a threat that needed to be annihilated and seeing as you were not the people they expected are hostile towards you.
3) allow us to create weapons out of titanium o..o this way these bad ass melee weapons can tear through the armor of the unexpected commando.

Now on to the suggestions based around lore.

1) I know you said you might work on a secondary faction to go against the Commandos, possibly a robotic menace. If what your making are sort of like mechanoids then this suggestion may not work. However if its the case where theyre cyborgs who want everyone to be able to have tech (polar opposite of the Commandos) then this could work. The two factions would start off as neutral towards you (ill explain why in a second). As these two groups go against one another you can make an event in which the two factions fight near your base and once the fight is over you get a text event (i think itd be similar to the Name your Colony event) in which you have to either pick a side or neither. depending on the side you pick then you get a spike in relationship with them to 90 and the other one gets spiked down to -90 and becomes hostile. But depending on the side you pick they send you a member of their faction to join you. Say its the commando you sided with then your choices would be between a medic, engineer, and soldier. Im basing these three on the knowledge that they're a military style group so these are really the only types of people they have but also because they wouldnt send you a researcher cause they dont want you to advance. its just really what you think fits the factions. but these guys would be geared with mid level gear maybe low level for balance reasons. and from there you can make more events revolving around this feud. it also gives you a chance to not be killed by commandos, but instead by another super power on the planet.
2) im sure confiscated technologies would include mutations so im thinking maybe you could make mutated animals that are harder to kill and are more aggressive, or maybe animals that were genetically engineered in order to make living easier in the winter. or genetically engineered plants that could grow in extreme conditions. it isnt far out and it stays along the lines of tynans alien rule.

Sorry for the long post. Hope you could implement some of this stuff and ill be waiting for the functionality update for A8, which should nerf some of the armors and weapons in my opinion.

indodino

Update to Alpha 8 pleaseee
Great Mods, I love futuristic tribe and weapon  ;)

kokuto

It would seem that the cybernetics storm may be able to cover most of the bionic upgrades that may be possible. However, actual Glittertech is another matter. I hope the mod gets updated soon.

palandus

I too would love it if the mod would get updated.

Alpha 8 doesn't feel the same without Titanium, Glowing/Humming Xenon Turbines, EMRG-1 Turrets, Blast Doors, and Psychotic Commandos.

Other suggestions:

1) Titanium although is supposed to be scarce, is an annoying thing to acquire, if you don't get a ton of Black Market Traders coming by. Perhaps allow a recipe for us to make our own Titanium at the Electric Smelter or a different workbench altogether. Since it's ingame description says its an alloy of multiple things, maybe allow a recipe that requires: Metal, Silver, and Plasmsteel to create Titanium.

2) The Advanced Armouring technology talks about applying armor to walls, and gives access to the Blast Door. The thing that I'd like to see though is "Blast Walls" made out of Titanium, that have far more HP than regular walls. Even though the Blast Door is designed for orbital strikes, the walls around the door isn't. So, if you can't get in via the door, blow a hole through the walls.. eh? So having some Armored Titanium Walls to go with Blast Doors would be a great idea I think.

3) Allow us to research a more powerful turret. One that is bigger, tougher, and nastier than the EMRG-1 Turret. Perhaps with the Anti-Tank weapon you added in, or with a completely new weapon entirely.

4) Allow us to research a powerful Anti-Air turret, that shoots down enemy drop pods, such that if Enemies drop into your base, any that get too close to the AA turret has say a 50% chance of being destroyed, greatly reducing a surprise attack, attack force.

5) Nothing says Glitterworld more than Fusion Power. Perhaps include a Fusion Reactor that explodes violently if destroyed, but produces a massive amount of energy and requires a fair few number of Magnetrons, Titanium, and even an AI Core to manage the reaction.

Ouan

Just want to add my name to list of those clamoring for an update. I encountered this mod on a mod set and after I got done cursing who ever invented commandos, I got to know the mod and miss those evil nano-armored devils. Look forward to your work in the future!
Damn Pirates!

Sam_

I'll be updating to Alpha 8 very soon, probably after the merry season. I've read all your ideas, and they have me inspired. I've already implemented a ton of nice new toys in my upcoming update, and I'll surely implement some from here.

I recently just had a binge with vanilla A8, and I will certainly have some advance temperature control, because it's the current hotness, no pun intended. Cryo sleep adds so many possibilities, and perhaps there's some functionality allowing me to mod the weather too. Maybe I'll partition it in a separate mod, but having super winters where cryo-sleep through it would be preferable, sounds great to me.

The new weapon creation system gives me more power to add some titanium weapons, and some anti-commando melee weapons. Not only that, but my next update has a much more complex crafting system, so having projectile weapon creation would be nice too.
New factions are a possibility too. I was thinking along the lines of something the complete opposite to the current robotic menace, instead of impervious and rare, perhaps large number of small robots, to really test your defense capabilities (get those choke points set up).
Lastly, since I hardly played the A7 release, I was not aware of just how fantastic the character damage system was. It seems wrong not to add some ridiculous augmentations to slice into your colonists. I have yet to go into the code, but perhaps a very rare artificial stomach, so the chosen colonist no longer needs food? Of course, that would need some balance. Maybe an automatic hospital bed, think of the automated surgical table from the movie Prometheus.

I'm glad to see this mod still pulls interest, I'll update soon.

Dragoon

I hope you don't change the fiber skin suit (other than reduce the cost since alpha 8 the price has skyrocket for EVRYTHING i'm dead serious T-T) .
Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

palandus

Huzzah, Sam_ lives!

@Sam_
Automated Hospital Bed = "This bed is not designed for the female anatomy. Use at own risk."

Other ideas for you:
-> If you really want to create rare bionics, how about going for bionics NOT offered by other mods, such as Bionic Spine, Bionic Skull, or Bionic Torso. If a guy has a broken spine, they will never be able to walk afterwards, even if you install bionic legs into both legs. If you get permanent damage to these areas, other bionic mods cannot solve it.
-> Alternatively, you could go for easier to produce bionics (but only affect a smaller body portion) such as Bionic Hands or Bionic Feet. This way if a guy loses his hand, you only need to replace his Hand, rather than his whole Arm.
-> New Weapon Types:
1) Laser Beam (There is a Laser Turret in Turret Collection that you could take inspiration from)
2) R4 Turret (Like the EMRG-1 Turret, but has a R4 Charge Rifle instead, ideal for more close range targets)
3) Plasma Cannon (A more powerful R4 shot)
4) Grenade Launcher (like the grenade, but farther range and less cooldown)
5) The ever so deadly, the Nuclear Hand Grenade
-> Maybe new floor types. I'm amazed that no one has down a flooring made of gold, or silver, or plasmsteel.
-> Armored Conduits = More heavily armored, made of titanium, and are fire immune.
-> Dunno on the difficulty to code, but maybe "Teleporters"
-> Turret Armor = Maybe use the texture for the Reactive Armor, and put that ontop of turrets to make them look much more heavily armored, and provide higher defense of course.
-> Automatic Mortars = Like a regular mortar turret, except doesn't require a colonist to man it.
-> Buildable Cyropods = These could work like regular beds, and provide a massive rest bonus, allowing colonists to rest up quickly and possible even work through the night.
-> Buildable MRG-5 Turrets = Having bought one of these rifles and been amazed at its power, I'd love to be stick one on a turret frame. The rarity of getting one to spawn in a Black Market Trader could make up for the overpowered-ness of the turret.
-> Napalm Turret = A high-burst flame turret, ideal for setting foes on fire. Currently the only thing that really works effectively on Commandoes when you lack the firepower to take them on normally.
-> Taser Turret = A short-range turret that has an extremely high chance of incapping hostiles that get to close to it.
-> Shock Baton = A melee weapon that has a taser built inside it, that has an extremely high incap chance.
-> Other armors = ie MK II Nano Suit, MK II Nano Helmet; both of which Commandoes lack the funds to purchase, so could only find them on a Black Market Trader.
-> Heavily buff the amount of items Black Market Traders have to sell. Since it may be a while until you find one, it would be nice to stock up on things to sell, have one come by, and purchase a lot of stuff off it.
All for now.

@Dragoon;
I personally would want him to change the fibre suit. Why? Because the Fibre Suit offers nothing better than the Speed Suit, and the Speed Suit has additional movement speed. Like the Fibre Suit doesn't provide an increase in defense compared to the Speed Suit. I think a way to differentiate between the two in Alpha 8, is to make the Fibre Suit have regulating temperature, so that its ideal for settlers in very hot or very cold climates, while the Speed Suit doesn't provide any immense benefits for temperature but still provides a nice speed boost.

Dragoon

Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

Sam_

Ded1

i think you forgot to update your download link cause it says 2 months ago.
Feel Good Modpack
Sorry but the pack isn't updated yet!

Just gonna be lurking the forums for a while.

DestroyX

seems so, yeah, since i cant use it :/

palandus

The only thing I'll mention is that Mechanical Defense also uses a Resource called Silicon, and Circuitry, that is used to build its robots, that may conflict if he updates his mod. He makes Silicon by turning Rock Chunks into Sand Piles, and then Sand Piles into Silicon, and then Circuitry by combining Silver, Silicon and Metal together. Otherwise, looking good.

Zeta Omega