[1.5][MODLIST] Glitter Tech Classic

Started by Sam_, August 16, 2014, 05:41:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you think this mod should be broken into smaller mods?

Yes
No
Yes, but have an option for all features in a mod pack.

Sam_

I have an alternative solution if you want Commandos. In my opinion it's necessary to get the balance of the mod. You need to access the world file, located in User/appdata/localLow/Ludeon Studios/RimWorld/Worlds. Open the file with notepad or some equivalent program and locate a pirate faction in the list. Change the line "<def>Pirate</def>" to "<def>Commando</def>" and voilà. No world reset necessary. I haven't tried this but, another possible technique is to make a new world, then copy the entire faction data from the new world file, to the old one. If you are unwilling to lose your Pirate faction.

lude

Nice mod, really like the suits and weapons, tho I'd like to cast my vote to making those items a lot more expensive (3-4-5 times, especially the speed suit, which i personally reduced to 3/4 efficiency and made it cost 12k) which still feels too cheap ^

Dragoon

Quote from: lude on December 30, 2014, 01:56:34 PM
Nice mod, really like the suits and weapons, tho I'd like to cast my vote to making those items a lot more expensive (3-4-5 times, especially the speed suit, which i personally reduced to 3/4 efficiency and made it cost 12k) which still feels too cheap ^

stop trying to bankrupt my colony!!!
Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

Sam_

Yes, I should buff the prices. I was too lazy last update, because it would require reworking the Commandos so they can buy armour too.
As to the efficiency, that wont change.

Dragoon

How much is gonna cost ? (right now it costs 1,735 so) 2,000 ?
Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

Sam_

I was thinking closer to $5000, some of the vanilla pieces are way more, so it makes sense.

seadderkrupp

I so hate those commando's:P  SO new world just to try new things out - year 2 and doing decently and six of these lot drop in.  Had to fight them inside short corridors as figured those new weapons would have an extreme range. Lost two people and only managed to kill them with a doomsday launcher and gun turrets in the last killbox i had. Everyone else was wounded and half my base wrecked. Hope the new armour and weapons puts me on even ground next time:)

JAVAgamer

Wow dude, awesome job! Can't wait to get my hands on some of them guns!

palandus

I've had to mod the crud out of the mod to be able to even enjoy it, as I seem to not get Black Market Traders for some reason. The big problem is that the Robotics Bench and Electrolyzer REQUIRES Computer Chips to build it, and as the Black Market Trader is the only way to get them (other than an EXTREMELY rare supply drop) its impossible to build much of the buildings. Perhaps allow a less "efficient" way to produce computer chips and silicon without these work benches, and the more efficient way is to use the benches.

Also, would love a Titanium Ore, or even a recipe to convert stuff into Titanium.

As far as unorthodox defenses goes...

1) Madness Device = Projects a signal into attackers brains similar to the highest frequency from a crashed AI ship (if left alone for too long) causing attackers to go insane.

2) Terror Device = Similar to the madness device but instead inflicts great terror upon foes similar to coming in range of the old Gibbet Cages, but far more effective and greater range.

3) Animal Insanity Trigger = A device that allows you to turn any animals within range insane, causing them to attack anything and everything... including raiders and commandoes.

4) Robo-Rust Monsters = Deals no damage to flesh, but devours metal equipment. Terrifying to commandoes as these creatures will eat their armor and weapons, but leave them nude, and easy pickings for colonists.

5) Disintegrator = Fires a beam of energy in a line that disintegrates anything in its path, instantly killing animals, humans, mechanoids, walls, and structures instantly. High cooldown, must be manned, and high power consumption but dangerous against targets normally immune to most damage.

6) Electric Floors = Essentially a floor-based taser. Anyone walking on it gets incapicated instantly, allowing for easy capture. Can be powered on or off.

Ded1

I love the idea of electric floors but they are going to have to be COSTLY to counter the OPness.
Feel Good Modpack
Sorry but the pack isn't updated yet!

Just gonna be lurking the forums for a while.

palandus

The difficulty with electric floors though is getting a commando or raider to walk on them. Great for an interior base defense, but outside, with lightning strikes, and bush fires, its unlikely the power conduits / walls with conduits would survive to keep a constant flow of energy directed to the floors.

Also, it would require some foresight on the player to not accidently allow your own colonists to walk onto the floor and get incapped as well. Be a silly "game over" if all your colonists ran to capture incapped raiders and got incapped as well.

Ded1

You have to admit it would be funny though.  And it wouldn't be that hard to make the floors hard to break, just don't put a door in your entryway and they will electrocute themselves trying to get through it.

It would look like this
-=wall
X=electric floor
+=door
                 ---------------
Outside      XXXXXXXXX+
                 ---------------
Feel Good Modpack
Sorry but the pack isn't updated yet!

Just gonna be lurking the forums for a while.

olvido

Quote from: palandus on December 25, 2014, 06:48:03 PM
I get no error when starting up the game, but the moment I create my colonist party and begin the actual game, I get multiple error messages, and I've confirmed they are coming from this mod.

I'm getting one: (Both is a problem in ThingsDef to help narrow it down)
&gt  = This is not defined somewhere; I'm sorry, but the error messages are very vague and I had my fair share of problems debugging my own mod as the error messages didn't tell me much.
and
MRG-5Pistol = Something is wrong with the texture path, dunno what though as I've taken a look at it myself and it looks fine; all the other weapons are fine.

i find a little syntax error in the RimWorld\Mods\GlitterTech\Defs\ThingDefs Weapons_MRG-5group
open it find ThingDef for the Pistol 
<graphicPathSingle>Things/Item/Equipment/MRG-5Pistol</graphicPathSingle>
need to say
<graphicPath>Things/Item/Equipment/MRG-5Pistol</graphicPath> that work for me

palandus

Oh so that is what the problem is. Thanks for mentioning that!

Also, I figured out the problem with the Black Market Trader not spawning. Was using a mod that change incidents times, and reduces Slave Trader to basically nonexistent, and apparently the Black Market Trader is now a Slave trader, so it was affected by this mod.

Other unorthodox defenses:

1) Teleportation Floors = Stepping on a teleportation floor will cause anyone to teleport to a nearby area. You specific the exact teleportation area. So that could be say within a well-secured room, or say teleport them into a nearby valley within a mountain. How is it unorthodox? Well, if enemies teleported into a canyon valley with no way out, they wouldn't try to dig out, and they would eventually starve inside the area. Alternatively, you could teleport them to a room with some other nasty thing inside (ie teleport them to a room with Taser Floors)

2) Blinding Beams = These beams do nothing other than cause temporary blindness for both eyes. A blind enemy will almost never hit your target successfully, either in melee or especially with ranged combat. Could make it only work on targets without a Nano Suit Helmet on, as the visor could block out the beam.

3) Neutron Bomb = Kills all organic life near the detonation point but leaves any mechanical, robotic or non-organic thing intact and undamaged.

4) Smoke Tower = Constantly sprays a thick cloud around itself making anyone inside the cloud nearly impossible to hit due to not knowing where they are.

5) Microwave Beam = Instead of dealing damage, it cooks the target alive as if the target was in an area over 500 Celsius heat, causing near instant heatstroke and all the negatives that go with it.

6) Freezing Beam = Instead of dealing damage, it freezes the target alive as it the target was in an area below -80 Celsius heat, causing near instant freezing, frostbite and all the negatives that go with it.

7) Groinal Exploder = A turret fires a micro-explosive that latches onto the groin. The detonation deals little damage. However, if its a man, they automatically commit suicide. If its a woman, she's takes some damage and continues on her way.

8) Memory Wiper (Inspiration Men in Black) = A tower blasts an area in front of it within a certain range. Any targets caught in that area without eye protection of some kind, has their short-term memory completely erased. This could essentially cause the trait "Absent-Minded" which causes them to wander around in a confused state, neither attacking nor running away.

9) Bean-Bag Minigun = A minigun that rapidly fires 100s of bean bags at targets at high speeds. 100% stun chance, with a chance that a target will either flee after being stunned or get incapped.

Sam_

Some very entertaining suggestions. But, most of these would not be possible to implement in just XML, so you wont be seeing any of these. Also, to the electric floor idea, floors are indestructible, and can only be removed by placing other floors over it. It seems far too OP to make an indestructible and unavoidable defense.

In regards to your original complaints, the recipes are meant to be hard, and the black market ships rare. This mod is a grind and VERY difficult, on purpose. So, don't post here thinking the difficulty was a mistake. Similarly to the computer components, the requirement to make the components to build the crafting station for the components is on purpose. The idea is to lock out the crafting stations until you get a black market trader.

Quote from: olvido on December 31, 2014, 09:08:19 PM
Quote from: palandus on December 25, 2014, 06:48:03 PM
I get no error when starting up the game, but the moment I create my colonist party and begin the actual game, I get multiple error messages, and I've confirmed they are coming from this mod.

I'm getting one: (Both is a problem in ThingsDef to help narrow it down)
&gt  = This is not defined somewhere; I'm sorry, but the error messages are very vague and I had my fair share of problems debugging my own mod as the error messages didn't tell me much.
and
MRG-5Pistol = Something is wrong with the texture path, dunno what though as I've taken a look at it myself and it looks fine; all the other weapons are fine.

i find a little syntax error in the RimWorld\Mods\GlitterTech\Defs\ThingDefs Weapons_MRG-5group
open it find ThingDef for the Pistol 
<graphicPathSingle>Things/Item/Equipment/MRG-5Pistol</graphicPathSingle>
need to say
<graphicPath>Things/Item/Equipment/MRG-5Pistol</graphicPath> that work for me

Thanks for the assist.