[1.5][MODLIST] Glitter Tech Classic

Started by Sam_, August 16, 2014, 05:41:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you think this mod should be broken into smaller mods?

Yes
No
Yes, but have an option for all features in a mod pack.

tuver

The issue that really balances the projector is the commando faction. Yes, a single person with one can clean up tribesmen without a problem. Honestly you should be able to wipe out a tribesmen raid without a problem if you have hi tech weapons. But raids from the command squad if one of them has it, then it turns the tables, it makes it hard to clean them out, if two or more have it, then it's a real battle. One colony had two command faction, that was interesting. Another balancing issue with the projector is it is danger to use in close combat, if meleers rush the projector, it because a problem to use.

lumipharon

The problem with the projector is that the range is so huge, most enemies won't even aggro on the user, because they're too far away.
Unless the AI can be changed or something, it's a little silly, even if the AOE gets toned down.

Also lasers (as with all light) in real life grow weaker and less focused over distance (inverse square law and all that). So short range lasers make sense - well, they would be able to travel long distance, but they would get exponentially weaker over distance.

Also right after I made that comment about the MRG rifle, I got 4 from 4 traders, in like 10 minutes, honk.

Patrykbono20

Dragoon

Quote from: lumipharon on January 19, 2015, 05:00:40 PM
The problem with the projector is that the range is so huge, most enemies won't even aggro on the user, because they're too far away.
Unless the AI can be changed or something, it's a little silly, even if the AOE gets toned down.

Also lasers (as with all light) in real life grow weaker and less focused over distance (inverse square law and all that). So short range lasers make sense - well, they would be able to travel long distance, but they would get exponentially weaker over distance.

Also right after I made that comment about the MRG rifle, I got 4 from 4 traders, in like 10 minutes, honk.

You forget that sniper rifles are the same and so are they with melee. :/
Quote from: faltonico
I truly can't understand that sense of balancing a LOT of modders have, pouring more resources on something doesn't make it more difficult, but more annoying. It is not engaging, even if i'm swimming in silver at late game ¿why to bother?, why all the effort to get there?.

lumipharon

m24's pull aggro, eMRG's canbe outside of aggro range, (unless they also have eMRGs) which is also cheesy. The difference is, eMRG's can only kill one person per shot, aren't AOE (so missing actually matters unlike the projector), and they have 20 less range.

Basically, it's the COMBINATION of super range, damage, AOE and accuracy that makes the projector cheese for me.

Sam_

Some valid replies. But, keep in mind the concept of the mod is to take gameplay to a new level. Projectors decimate tribes, but only help a little with commando raids. The newer factions will make you crave the old projector, especially since I toned the AOE.

Quote from: lumipharon on January 19, 2015, 05:00:40 PM

Yes, I understand that. But, this is not a laser that transmits data, or switches your TV channels. It is powerful enough to create a fiery explosion and incinerate people. I'm not sure such a high powered laser will suffer much attenuation over several kilometres, much less the game map. I suppose by that logic the gun ranges for all weapons including vanilla could be so much farther.

Boboid

So correct me if I'm wrong but the only way to obtain Computer Components is to make Silicon in an Electrolyser, then make Computer Components in the Robotic assembler? Which requires 22 Computer components total.. so you have to purchase 22 of them and 240 Titanium before you can progress up the tech tree?

Unless I'm missing something extremely obvious then I'd personally suggest a tweak to the Electrolyser/Robotic Assembler costs, it's been two years of scouring every trader and I've got a total of 64 titanium and *two* Computer Components.

I've got a pretty large hoard of skin suits, reactive suits,  nano armour, and various weapons from traders, but obtaining the raw materials to progress up the tech tree to *make* any of it seems totally impossible :(

Also is there an easy way for you to adjust the volume of particular gun sounds? Pretty much all of the guns you've created have exceptionally loud firing sounds, I have to play with the game muted because it's pretty ear-destroying.
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

Cynicalmuse

Quote from: Boboid on January 20, 2015, 01:34:49 PM
So correct me if I'm wrong but the only way to obtain Computer Components is to make Silicon in an Electrolyser, then make Computer Components in the Robotic assembler? Which requires 22 Computer components total.. so you have to purchase 22 of them and 240 Titanium before you can progress up the tech tree?

Unless I'm missing something extremely obvious then I'd personally suggest a tweak to the Electrolyser/Robotic Assembler costs, it's been two years of scouring every trader and I've got a total of 64 titanium and *two* Computer Components.

I've got a pretty large hoard of skin suits, reactive suits,  nano armour, and various weapons from traders, but obtaining the raw materials to progress up the tech tree to *make* any of it seems totally impossible :(

Also is there an easy way for you to adjust the volume of particular gun sounds? Pretty much all of the guns you've created have exceptionally loud firing sounds, I have to play with the game muted because it's pretty ear-destroying.

This post pretty much sums up all the problems I had with this mod; I found it nigh impossible to build new things because I had no idea how to progress further into the mod. The components are ridiculously expensive and I found myself unable to build much of anything, yet I had pretty much all of the armors and weapons from commando raids.

Oh, and a sidenote, I found the best way to fight commandos is to engage them in melee with large numbers. They tend to suck at melee, even with their fancy armor!

Boboid

Quote from: Cynicalmuse on January 20, 2015, 11:00:07 PM
Oh, and a sidenote, I found the best way to fight commandos is to engage them in melee with large numbers. They tend to suck at melee, even with their fancy armor!

Yes it's very strange isn't it?

One of my first attacks was a single commando, I just clubbed her unconscious with logs and stole her bionic arm and all her gear. Never managed to recruit her (99 difficulty, ended up with 40+ colonists and she was still in my prison) but one of my starting colonists is still wearing all that gear and has probably singlehandedly killed 50 or 60 pirates, still using that bionic arm too :P
A prison yard is certainly a slightly more elegant solution to Cabin Fever than mine...

I just chop their legs off... legless prisoners don't suffer cabin fever

palandus

Suggestion:

Make some smelter recipes that will allow you to smelt down spare Skin Suits, Nano Suits, Reactive Suits and Nano Helms into Titanium.

Fluffi

I have to say, the mod is pretty neat. All those Commando Snipers on a siege make it a challenge when dealing with them on a flat open map~ But I've noticed something and I dunno if it's always been like that, but... the APB Projector, it doesn't seem to have a range indicator? I mean, when you draft your colonist and select the weapon, you get a range indication how far you can shoot. All I get is the explosion-radius, but even on grenades from other weapon packs, I have an explosion radius and a range indication, doesn't seem the case for me on the APB Projector. Not sure if I just never notices due to it's awesome range or if I broke something at one point. The ThingDef also doesn't seem to have anything to do with it or I'm just blind, dunno :p

palandus

I think the range indicator that the game uses is hardcoded to only show ranges up to like range of 70 (for some reason). The APB I think has a range of 80 or 85, and thus wouldn't get shown by the game.

Fluffi

Quote from: palandus on January 23, 2015, 10:00:43 PM
I think the range indicator that the game uses is hardcoded to only show ranges up to like range of 70 (for some reason). The APB I think has a range of 80 or 85, and thus wouldn't get shown by the game.

Why didn't I think of this? You're totally right, reducing it's range by a chunck brought back the range indication. Guess I'll have to hope for Alpha 9 to have higher range indications as I don't wanna engineer around weapon stats. Always these small things that bother me :p

Bodog999

Hey Sam_ I really like the impaction charge to get geysers everywhere but there is 1 thing I hate about it, the place where it makes the geyser is so damn random, I like to have my base all neat and symmetric. So do you think you can code it so it always makes the geyser where it is placed instead of 1-2 tiles off of it?

Sam_

Quote from: Bodog999 on January 25, 2015, 11:58:40 AM
Hey Sam_ I really like the impaction charge to get geysers everywhere but there is 1 thing I hate about it, the place where it makes the geyser is so damn random, I like to have my base all neat and symmetric. So do you think you can code it so it always makes the geyser where it is placed instead of 1-2 tiles off of it?

There is nothing I can do about where it spawns, I'll have a play with it, perhaps making the charge an odd dimension instead of two by two, as it currently is, will place it at the centre always. If I were to imagine the code, I assume it tries to approximate the location when there is no centre, perhaps by random generation, or perhaps by the magic of undefined variables and complicated code.

Edit:

After testing changing it to one by one seems to work, the geyser spawns with the bottom left corner where the charge was. You can change this in the xml files if you know how, alternatively it will be fixed in version 0.8.