Ideology worth it?

Started by Demoulius, August 05, 2021, 07:25:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Demoulius

Hello everybody.

Im trying to figure out if ideology is worth picking up but I cant find a good amount of info about whats exactly in it.

So I guess im asking 2 things.

1: Whats exactly in the expansion? What things does it add specificly that you cant do without it.
2: What your opinion on it is. Id like to hear from fellow gamers how they are liking (or disliking) the expansion so far.

Thanks in advance :)

AileTheAlien

It adds a bunch of rituals, restrictions, and benefits for different types of ideologies / religions (combined in-game as 'ideoligions'), which you can mostly mix and match, based on the main picks. For example, you can be a tribe that exclusively eats meat, ranching cattle for that purpose, who loathe vegetables. Or you could be a bunch of prosetylizing, communal vegans who try to convert every visitor they come across. There's quite a lot of varitey, and some special items that only certain ideoligions can build, such as special gravel to grow mushrooms inside of your underground base, or auto-bongs to hot-box an entire room full of people.

Those things are fairly good, however they are in my opionion currently not balanced well enough, that your penalties will be much more annoying than any bonuses you receive. Worse than that, most of the options don't really work to facilitate, encourage, or reward new or novel play-styles; I've felt like I'm constantly dealing with hassles, except for the couple of choices which just boost already-powerful (or necessary) gameplay types and strategies. This thread (especially my replies) will elaborate more on my frustrations with the new DLC. If you're short on cash, I'd wait until a few patches come out.

khun_poo

You could add your rule in the form of ideology or religious to your tribe/colony. For example, without the ideology, every sane colonist will abhor the idea of cannibalism without Cannibal/ Bloodlust or Psychopathy trait.

With ideology, if you happen to allow cannibalism into your religious practice. Those that still did not convert to your religious will still anti about it, while those who're converted in your colony will eat long pork like everyday dish. Still, those with the cannibal trait get more mood buff.

And many more !

I suggest that if you didn't fluent with Vanilla Rimworld. I think it's best to play it first before the DLC. So that the hype will be much larger.

Also, the Ideology is just released. So, the bug is not that uncommon  :P

Demoulius

Cheers for the replies guys :)

The biggest worry that I got is that it will ruin the savegame that I currently have and make it unplayable. And ive put alot of hours into it to get it to this point...

For example when 1.3 hit ive lost about half of my tamed animals before I could confine the ones that dident wander off yet into pens. Ideology adds a belief system to factions right? Im currently allied to 2 of them (1 of which is the empire) and I dont know what will happen to faction relations. Patching to 1.3 also gave me a hit to rep with (I think) the empire for an unspecified reason. It was very tough to get allied with them and just getting hit with a rep penalty for patching the game was a slap in the face. Id rather not make my current game even more of a mess if I can help it...

Also to add to the questions, can you change your belief system mid game? Say you took body purist and want to turn it into transhumanist instead?

Adding to the above question, what happens if you got pawns who have traits that clash with your belief system? Will the belief system supercede their personal traits? Will people who arent cannibals suddenly be ok with cannibalism if thats one of your memes? Or will they do it while still getting the mood penalty? Or will a body purist be ok with augments if you have transhumanist meme?

IVe seen on the wiki that some part of the DLC also gives you new appearances for items (like grim or animalist) but I dont see a clear path on how you can achieve that.

Alot of the perks and features added are really unclear about what the practical game effects will be so im abit squimish about updating right now.

AileTheAlien

First, I'd recomment backing up your saves manually somewhere that Steam won't overwrite them. I'm not sure if Steam's refund policy covers DLC, but if it does you could make use of that too.

Ideologies don't affect relations with the main factions, but your preferred actions make individual people annoyed with you. For example, a rescued person could hate all of your people because they're scarred pain-worshipers, making recruiting that pawn harder.

You can't normally change your ideoligion mid-game, unless you've got dev-mode enabled. Personally, I would enable dev mode just for this, if I hadn't already done it for other reasons. You're pretty likely to miss some choices when setting up your ideoligion at the beginning of the game, or decide later on that you'd prefer a different set of trade-offs.

I think pawns with conflicting traits will usually just get mood debuffs, but I don't think there's many traits that will override the ideoligion. For example, I think if you manage to convert a person to your cannibalism-cult, they start getting mood-buffs for eating humans. Note that some of the ideoligion's precepts have replaced some specific traits, such as transhumanism and body-purism, and possibly a few more. But that's because those specific ones have been expanded upon, more than just the single "got +-mood from X" from the vanilla game. (A couple buildings, other complementary precepts, etc.)

Appearances are applied automatically, based on the pawn that built or crafted the item. If you have two or three (the max, I think) appearances in that pawn's ideoligion and the specific item is affected by all of those appearances, the one farthest on the left is what it gets. So if my dudes are morbid and techist, my lamps are all morbid not techist. Some appearances also only affect certain objects - morbid affects statues, but techist doesn't.

Demoulius

Quote from: AileTheAlien on August 11, 2021, 01:15:36 AM
I think pawns with conflicting traits will usually just get mood debuffs, but I don't think there's many traits that will override the ideoligion. For example, I think if you manage to convert a person to your cannibalism-cult, they start getting mood-buffs for eating humans. Note that some of the ideoligion's precepts have replaced some specific traits, such as transhumanism and body-purism, and possibly a few more. But that's because those specific ones have been expanded upon, more than just the single "got +-mood from X" from the vanilla game. (A couple buildings, other complementary precepts, etc.)
Alright im confused. Do you mean that body purist and transhumanist arent individual traits anymore and theyre replaced with the respective ideology now? Or that individual traits are overwritten in favour of the ideology if it happens to have them?

But having to back up my saves because the DLC might break it is the exact reason why I made this thread  ::) I think il finish the playthrough before getting the DLC, that way I dont risk ruining any excising save.

Canute

I wouldn't suggest anyway to add any DLC to an existing savegame, since it add many major content that could cause incompactiblies.

MissFox

"Alright im confused. Do you mean that body purist and transhumanist arent individual traits anymore and theyre replaced with the respective ideology now? Or that individual traits are overwritten in favour of the ideology if it happens to have them?"

As far as I've seen some have been reworked and some are still the same, it IS possible to have a pawn with conflicting traits such as a transhumanist : Body Modification ideological meme VS Body Purist.

Personally I'm ok with this though it did create an interesting choice in the case of one pawn...

Going with the needs of the individual would mean the rest of the colony disliking them (-10 social for No Artificial Part)
Going with the community there is no social bonus for having a mod except (aesthetic nose, aesthetic shaper for +40 social Physically stunning) but the colonist is more likely to break with a perm -35 "I have become what I hate" negative thought for multiple implants.

I feel things like this add a new dimension to the game.