Is AI using psycasts and powers on the roadmap?

Started by lugaruclone, August 10, 2021, 07:01:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lugaruclone

It just feels weird that we are like a year after Royalty and this has never come up. I know most players just care about their own colony but it is just a strange oversight that we have never gotten this update or do I think it has been mentioned. Is there a really big technical hurdle?

It would instantly make raids a lot more interesting (I doubt you would see enemy psycasters in your first year) and it would make Tribals more of a late game threat if they have a higher incidence of low level psycasters.

lugaruclone

Some psycast could be off limits and as always players will mod the game to be easier but seeing no AI Psycasts is a weird oversight nobody seems to bring up.

GoblinCookie

Hatti

Its a nice idea and i would love it too..
Play the "A RimWorld of Magic" mod for a while and rethink this wish ;D

If you can skip a enemy right infront of you meele group, the enemy can do that too

lugaruclone

Unless you hit the really high psycast levels there is nothing nearly as deadly as some of the entry level Rimworld of Magic stuff, for sure no fireballs and storms. I know some people have found ways to play that means they have not lost a pawn in all of 2021 or 2020 but I do advocate mixing things up and taking some risks. It's not like every raider is gonna berserk or skip your pawns, it will mostly be stuff bellow level 4 until late game and only a few pawns have psylinks.

It is like saying the AI should not get mortars, or guns, or the new breaching stuff... unless you have already modded them out.

Hatti

Those fireballs are still easy.. Teleport pawns to insta death is another story - too much frustration potential for vanilla rim and normal players
Same as berserk puls (which had to be disabled for AI).
But yea royalty doesnt have many powerfull abilities.

Some abilities wouldnt even work very well without some extra logic. For example the shieldskip. Most of the times, it would just crippe the raid instead of helping it. Stun, beckon, blind can be nice. Vertigo....mhm.

But i would love it!

Fakeaccount123

if you want to experience how it would be to have enemy ai psycast there is a mod that does exactly that. The name is powerful psycast ai or something like that. I havenĀ“t use it in 1.3 but it worked very well in 1.2. You can disable specific abillities and berserker pulse and some others are disabled by default. I didn't find it to powerfull or annoying but it adds some difficulty to the game. The main reason is that you can't predict what the enemy will cast at you and that can take you by surprise.

Hatti

Quote from: Fakeaccount123 on August 14, 2021, 09:23:57 AM
if you want to experience how it would be to have enemy ai psycast there is a mod that does exactly that. The name is powerful psycast ai or something like that.

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2026063610&searchtext=powerfull+psycast

NICE! i didnt know such mod exists. Thanks for info!

Locklave

Quote from: GoblinCookie on August 12, 2021, 03:27:10 PM
Tribals should just get guns at higher levels.

Tribals with guns aren't tribals. The lack of modern tech is what makes them tribals.

GoblinCookie

Quote from: Locklave on August 15, 2021, 08:31:07 PM
Tribals with guns aren't tribals. The lack of modern tech is what makes them tribals.

They can buy or steal guns from those that can make them.  The lack of tribals with guns is something I found rather annoying, because it 'quite realistically' makes them weak.  Adding occasional guns or grenades would add a degree of risk to fighting tribals. 

Locklave

Quote from: GoblinCookie on August 17, 2021, 01:54:02 PM
Quote from: Locklave on August 15, 2021, 08:31:07 PM

They can buy or steal guns from those that can make them.

Tribal attacks are just raider attacks labeled "tribal" because of fluff reasons then.

I mean why not have them buy and steal advanced body armor and mortars too? Because they'd just be raiders or a normal colony then. That's completely redundant.

Alenerel

have 10 pawns, get raided by 50 and 1 knight that casts vertigo pulse. get wiped

lugaruclone

Only issue with the awesome powerful ai psycasts mod is that it is like a hack creating abilities for AI rather than AI for psycasts so it cannot natively use new or modded ones.