Tone Down or remove Friendly Fire

Started by vagineer1, August 16, 2014, 11:56:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HatesYourFace

If you have any 2 of the following 3 things: Time, Interest, or Ability; Head on over to the RimWorld wiki and help improve/update it! http://rimworldwiki.com

Rahjital

Yes, hunting accidents do happen, but not because people go "Huh, Jim just stepped in my way. I guess I should try to shoot anyway, maybe it will fly through him and hit the target!" *Jim has been shot to death*

I think removing friendly fire from hunting colonists would be an acceptable solution as well.

Bog

Quote from: Rahjital on August 17, 2014, 05:12:57 PM
Yes, hunting accidents do happen, but not because people go "Huh, Jim just stepped in my way. I guess I should try to shoot anyway, maybe it will fly through him and hit the target!" *Jim has been shot to death*
Yes, usually hunting accidents only happen when the person who got shot was wearing camouflage. (because that person is hunting too) And either way, there's probably 1000+ deer killed for every hunter that catches a bullet. It's a statistical improbability, so you should basically never see it in a normal game of rimworld.

Repeatedly shooting a guy who's planting potatoes in an open field while trying to hit a squirrel on the other side is ridiculous.
Divergence of Civilization Lead Developer (in this case that's the fancy way of saying "Only Developer")

Project Armoury Developer (New huge 2.13 Release now live!)

Sir Wagglepuss III

Having your people refuse to fire when a friendly is directly between them and the target would be neat, but I really wouldn't want to see friendly fire removed entirely.

It'd also be good if a person could notice when they are in the field of fire of a friendly and promptly move themselves out of the way (If possible), and if pathing could be worked on to prefer walking behind friendlies rather than in front of them.

But seriously, if somebody walks out in front of a friendly whilst they are shooting, then they are asking for it. I've had a total of zero hunting accidents during my current playthrough (About 60 days so far) because I've always kept an eye on my hunters. You can afford to take your eyes off of your normal workers for a little while, but taking your eyes off stupid people shooting guns (Which is what your people are for the moment) sounds as silly as the friendly fire itself lol.

Just treat your guys as kids with guns and you should be fine tbh.

HatesYourFace

Removing all FF to fix hunting is basically throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
If you have any 2 of the following 3 things: Time, Interest, or Ability; Head on over to the RimWorld wiki and help improve/update it! http://rimworldwiki.com

bobucles

How to prevent hunting accidents 101:

1) Use shorter range weapons. Less airtime with bullets means less chances for someone to be there.
2) Use fewer hunters. You seriously don't need more than one or two.
3) Set up fencing areas to separate work from hunting zones
4) Don't hunt inside your base!

HatesYourFace

BDoggames

Today i made the grave mistake of selecting all cobras and boars on the map for hunting. Things went fine for about the first 10 or so cobras (out of 28) until i looked at my guy with a machine gun firing it at a cobra. The cobra was incapacitated. Suddenly my hunter with a sniper riffle pops out from behind a rock walks literally right in front of the downed cobra and starts shooting at another cobra that had just walked behind my machine gunner. The machine gunner and the sniper volley at the same time. The machine gunner's head is blown clean off and my sniper's heart was destroyed. My hunters had just managed to simultaneously kill each other.  :-[

obuw

Why not remove friendly fire only during hunting? E.g. if a pawn fires his weapon while hunting it can't hit friendlies.

porcupine

*boom* headshot.

Just had this happen about 5 minutes ago selecting a few animals to hunt in my devilstrand patch.

I had already pulled all the guys with chainguns off the hunting list.

All I thought was "I dont have the shot, start to re-aim", would have been quite applicable here (and in combat).  Guys who see somebody unreasonably close to their arc of fire could either move, re-aim, etc.  This wouldn't tone down the friendly fire, but would deal with it realistically (and you'd still be penalized in combat, as not having half your guys shooting when you got greedy would obviously have a kick to it). 

RawCode

I created mod that remove friendly fire and found that modification stupid and unfun.

Do you understand that removal of friendly fire will make melee raiders completely unstoppable and totally illogical?

Games about process, marking every animal on map for hunting and leaving hunter on his own is not valid strategy, punishment for such action is perfectly acceptable.

Geokinesis

Another for keep Friendly Fire.

I've had 1 of my first 3 colonists attempt to hunt a squirrel and headshot his friend before they'd even lost their colony optimism. I laughed and carried on.  ;D

BinaryBlackhole

The real issue is the ai in raids make it so that they shoot whoevers closest you need to make it so if theres someone else in range of their weapon they will aim for person  instead without you having to interfere also better shooters have smaller friendly fire cones as they are more accurate.

Wex

I usually get a nice 40% of casualties (on the enemy side) to be fully friendly fire; tribals has this happening more often, because there are more melee wielding maniacs. But grenade dudes usually get riled by their friends' happy trigger habits too.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

BetaSpectre

I think that in normal combat or passive combat colonists should avoid friendly fire but if you forcefire then all colonists can fire. Another possibility is to add a personality trait for colonists to determine if they can even forcefire at or near friendlies.
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░─╤▌██ |
░░░░░░░░─╤▂▃▃▄▄▄███████▄▃|
▂█▃▃▅▅███/█████\█[<BSS>█\███▅▅▅▃▂
◥████████████████████████████████◤
                           TO WAR WE GO