Unable to feed prisoners no matter what

Started by Adsolution, August 11, 2021, 09:26:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Adsolution

Sorry if this is the wrong section (please move it if so) or a stupid question, I'm dead tired and have been trying for 4 hours straight to do this.

Up until recently I've been able to "prioritise feeding [prisoner name]" by rightclicking on said prisoner, but I can no longer right click on prisoners- no menu appears, and my colonists stopped choosing to automatically feed the prisoners as well. I made a prisoner common room (removing the doors on each cell, only having one as the front door so they can freely explore the prison), but they will not use the dispenser. Nothing is blocking the dispensing zone. It's connected to a watermill with 650 W / 0 Wd stored, and when forcing it to dispense 5x or even 1x paste it says "insufficient energy stored in power network". It costs watts-per-day as it says, and I have 0 apparently, but I have no idea how to increase this number.

I just want to be able to feed my prisoners but it seems literally impossible. Reloaded my save data about 13 times tonight so far just trying to feed them and everything has failed.

Here's a visual of my layout:

...Again, I'm sorry if this is a dumb question, but I really enjoy this game and this is frustrating me so much. I can neither dispense paste for them nor feed them normally.

Canute

Hi,
not sure about 1.3 but previously, the prisoner only grab the food that is inside his room, even when you have the door's open and the prisoner can move around the other room.
But you destroyed the door so he basicly can reach the dispenser.
But the dispenser don't have any hopper, so it can't create any meals.

And if you don't have another dispenser your warden's won't use that dispenser to deliver food, because it is at the prisoner area.

Another common mistake are, the food policy of prisone, are the meal's allowed you want to feed to them ?

Adsolution

Quote from: Canute on August 11, 2021, 09:42:56 AMBut the dispenser don't have any hopper, so it can't create any meals.

And if you don't have another dispenser your warden's won't use that dispenser to deliver food, because it is at the prisoner area.
Oooh, thank you! Can't believe I didn't know about the hopper...

Quote from: Canute on August 11, 2021, 09:42:56 AMAnother common mistake are, the food policy of prisone, are the meal's allowed you want to feed to them ?
(Congrats on 9999 posts lol)

They're set to Lavish, I'm assuming that means they'll eat anything available?

Unfortunately, I still have the insufficient power issue when I attempt to manually dispense even one portion, and the prisoners are still refusing to use it automatically (I'm guessing for the same reason):

ChirpScree

This one is interesting. Hopefully this gets fixed soon.

Canute

On testing my pawn's could get meal out of the dispenser with only 150W extra at the powergrid.
When it is powered it should give out meals.
Does your hopper got enough material to create a meal ? 1 meal need 0,3 nutrition (mosttimes 6 items).

Lavish should include anything except you didn't edit it and removed it.

Demoulius

Im not sure but I think the game sees the room where the beds are as the 'prison' and the structure around it as a seperate room? They probably dont try to escape because the front door in the hallway area is closed or they probably would.

I think they only check for food in their 'prison' unless im mistaken here. Ive never tried using a hopper for prisoners to be perfectly honest.

Lavish is, if memory serves me right; one of the highest forms of food restriction. Menaing they get the very best your colony has to offer. You can check what kind of meals they wil get in the assign menu. There you can edit and assign who gets what kind of meal. Unless you really need to raise their spirits, I wouldnt assign anything higher then fine meals though. Heck even fine meals might be stretching it. But hey if you want to be very charitable to your prionsers, by all means do so ;)