Debug log total annihilation

Started by Jo The Veteran, August 11, 2021, 09:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jo The Veteran

Can anyone help me with debugging my game. It was playing fine, then a raid happened, and BOOM, a hundred red lines appear every second, affecting all the colonists, lagging the game like crazy.
I've messed that save big time.
Installed a ton of mods mid game.
Turned permadeath on (no idea why I did that).
Saved in this state.
I won't provide any code at all, so don't ask. I don't want anyone to fix it for me. I'm asking for help on how to debug in general. This happened again in the past, and I'd like to know what to do in those cases. I'd generally like to know all about red, and yellow errors if that's possible. How to read those, if that's even possible, or are they random gibberish?
There are also no tutorials I could find about the debug inspector, and I was wondering if that's something a player can use, or is it a developer thing only?
So if anyone has any solid info, I'd appreciate you gimme a reply. Thanks.

Canute

Permadeath and modded game, mosttimes bad idea. On my expierence you allways can encounter some issues on a modded game. You should play with a modlist before before you do permadeath.

Adding mods during gameplay isn't worse normaly, but you should keep the savegame just in case..
Removing mod's are a bad idea (depend on the mod).

For general hints, read the 2.link of my signature.

RawCode

QuoteCan anyone help me with debugging my game.
QuoteI won't provide any code at all
QuoteI don't want anyone to fix it for me.

well, good luck!

Ramsis

Quote from: Jo The Veteran on August 11, 2021, 09:25:45 PM
Can anyone help me with debugging my game. It was playing fine, then a raid happened, and BOOM, a hundred red lines appear every second, affecting all the colonists, lagging the game like crazy.
I've messed that save big time.
Installed a ton of mods mid game.
Turned permadeath on (no idea why I did that).
Saved in this state.
I won't provide any code at all, so don't ask. I don't want anyone to fix it for me. I'm asking for help on how to debug in general. This happened again in the past, and I'd like to know what to do in those cases. I'd generally like to know all about red, and yellow errors if that's possible. How to read those, if that's even possible, or are they random gibberish?
There are also no tutorials I could find about the debug inspector, and I was wondering if that's something a player can use, or is it a developer thing only?
So if anyone has any solid info, I'd appreciate you gimme a reply. Thanks.

I got your report Jo and no I won't be removing the RawCode's comment because you think it's spam.

They're completely right in their response of "good luck" because you're refusing to do some incredibly basic thing that would not only allow you to learn but would allow others to help teach you...

Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

"Back off man, I'm a scientist."
- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

Jo The Veteran

Can you people, any of you, read what I wrote, and understand what I ask for?
Is this a language issue?

RawCode

- my car suddenly stopped, what cause of it?
- did you hit breaks, what signal lamps, do you have fuel?
- no i won't tell you what happening!
- and how you expecting to get any help?
- WTF I ASKED SIMPLE QUESTION ANSWER ME!!!1111

Ramsis

Quote from: Jo The Veteran on August 12, 2021, 01:00:08 PM
So no

I think you're missing the point in a community that often loves working with one another when someone needs help. You don't know how something works but instead of letting others take the opportunity to help you you'd rather just swat them away. This is one of those cases where you should probably take a deep breath and realize we're not trying to antagonize you we're just curious why you're the first person to act in this way in the history of this forum. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We'd love to help ya friend. You want help on how to debug in general, okay and we'd like to see the code to tell you what you're looking at and how to even begin looking at it.
Ugh... I have SO MANY MESSES TO CLEAN UP. Oh also I slap people around who work on mods <3

- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

Jo The Veteran

That save is deleted, so I cannot produce a specific error line.
When I asked "help on reading red and yellow errors" I thought there would be a post someplace, of someone explaining what each line does, since it's practically computer code. But I guess that's not the case.
So next time I have an error in specific I will bring it here.

Ramsis

Quote from: Jo The Veteran on August 12, 2021, 01:33:53 PM
That save is deleted, so I cannot produce a specific error line.
When I asked "help on reading red and yellow errors" I thought there would be a post someplace, of someone explaining what each line does, since it's practically computer code. But I guess that's not the case.
So next time I have an error in specific I will bring it here.

Sorry Jo, and just to reiterate: we're not against you at all here we just want to help a fellow warcrime game fan trying to have their fun.

- Egon Stetmann

Awoo~

Jo The Veteran

ugh this was a really bad day for me.
Then the game failed.
can't think straight
next time

RawCode

Canute

Jo The Veteran and The Beginner Modder,
QuoteHow to read those, if that's even possible, or are they random gibberish?
to understand these error you need to know the logic behind it and how the code are.
When you don't are a modder yourself it will be random gibberish, same when 2 Nerd/experts speak each other.
Btw. you wrote "I won't provide any code at all" but i think you mean you don't want provide any error message which is a huge different.
Code is the mod/program/app itself, and i think RawCode didn't notice it and thought about real code. He often debug (another random glibberish) code for other modder, since he is an expert modder.

You want an easy solution to understand error messages, sorry that don't exist. You need to learn how to create mod's with c# first.
You only can overview the text, if you see a hint to a mod you should forward the whole logfile (when you use hugslib use the share log button) to the mod author and ask him.
Read the error msg. closer check what it is about maybe.
When you got alot of error's right at the Raid, it is prolly about the faction/race. Contact the author of that faction/race.

As non-modder you can't do anything to fix, you would need to modify the mod to prevent further same error's.

And now go outside and have a better day, then last time.

Jo The Veteran

Quote from: Canute on August 13, 2021, 03:45:03 AM
And now go outside and have a better day, then last time.

Canute thanks man. It was a really bad day, it's better now.

About the code, yes you are correct those were error messages, but it still reads like programming code to me.
That is, with the limited knowledge I have from programming in c, or pascal, from classes, from a billion years ago. The thing is, sometimes I was able to locate the thing that would make the error pop up, like a nutrient paste in the middle of the ocean, where a pawn would try to eat it, but could not walk in deep water, so an error happens. I would delete that paste, and so no more error (this was just a example of btw, I have no idea if nutrient paste in the ocean, or anything for that matter, throws that error).
The thing is, I was able to locate, and remove the root issues of certain red errors, sometimes.
That's why I asked help in reading the error. If I could get some examples from the community for common errors, I would probably solve it, and if not, then I would present the error, and maybe it would not be solvable.
I framed the whole thing wrong, RawCode thought I was trolling or something, the rest is history.
Next time I experience something like that I will bring the error, and maybe someone will explain it, so I learn from experience.