Suggestion: Also show the second highest Skills, when selecting colonists

Started by Peter34, August 11, 2021, 11:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter34

Now the game shows you the highest of several very important Skills, when you select your colonists, like highest Construction, highest Medical and so forth. It didn't do that the last time I played, perhaps 3 years ago, and it's a very nice fature.

However, it would be even nicer if the game also showed the second highest level of each such skill, your backup in case the primary pawn gets sick.

In my current game I have a pawn with the Sickly trait (I think that's vanilla, not a trait from a mod), and he keeps getting sick, as the trait implies. That rather sucks, in that he's my only decent Shooter (skill 4), and also my best at Construction (8) and Cooking (6). So whenever he catches something and has to go lie down for multiple days in a row, I'm stuck with my backups, which particularly sucks for Shooting and Cooking (but only slows down my Construction). Fortunately most of my pawns are good at Medical, but...

It's just one of those quality-of-life things, especially for people who like to play custom scenarios where you start with a bit more than the usual 3 pawns. Having to click back and forth between 4 or 5 pawns to see if your 2nd highest skill in each area is decent enough is rather cumbersome.

There's also that primitive game mode, which I've never tried, where I seem to recall that you start with 5 pawns by default.

I suggest using a slash, so the game shows something like Medical 8/5 if your best Medical is 8 and your second best is 5, and Construction 7/7 if both your best and second best is 7. A slighthly more sophisticated impemenation would be to append a plus to the secondary skill rating if more than one pawn has that rating, e.g. Construction 7/7+ if your three (or four or more) best pawns are Construction 7, and Medical 8/5+ if your best pawn is 8 and you have two or more pawns with 5.

ChirpScree

This is actually a great suggestion. I hope this gets applied in the game.