Ideology - Celebrations decrease certainty of colonists outside ideology

Started by AnActualDuck, August 15, 2021, 10:06:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnActualDuck

If an event ends up being successful, all colonists (not prisoners) of a different ideology will lose certainty in their own ideology. Just seems reasonable that non participants would be looking in at people having a good time and going "gee golly I wish I could join."

And while it could be as simple as just event happens, certainty lost, there are ways to make this more elaborate by adding an "invite to join" section when setting up an event. Then make a risk/reward system where a few different things could be factored in to adjust the potential certainty change. Factors like your ideology's tendency for bigotry, the ratio of people practicing the ideology to those who are not, and the usual factors associated with rituals could all be taken in to account. However, the risk would be that adding in outsiders to an event, especially if colonists are bigoted, may also drastically alter whether or not the event is successful.

GoblinCookie

That would make conversion seem less mechanical 'wait for our priest cooldown to recharge'.  Another idea would be to have those whose traits coincide with our religion but not their own be inspired to join when they see what we get up too.

AnActualDuck

Yeah, I definitely don't want to take away forceful proselytizing since it's a legit thing, but a few more organic ways to convert would be nice.

Also, since you mentioned the priest cooldown, I just had a moment of clarity in regards to that. Why the heck can they proselytize one person every few days? Surely it's the recipient that should have the cooldown, not the priest. Door to door knocking to convert people is totally a thing. Maybe that's OP? I dunno.

I'd make proselytizing like taming, you check off on the colonist to convert and the priest goes about it.

GoblinCookie

Quote from: AnActualDuck on August 18, 2021, 08:29:19 PM
Yeah, I definitely don't want to take away forceful proselytizing since it's a legit thing, but a few more organic ways to convert would be nice.

Also, since you mentioned the priest cooldown, I just had a moment of clarity in regards to that. Why the heck can they proselytize one person every few days? Surely it's the recipient that should have the cooldown, not the priest. Door to door knocking to convert people is totally a thing. Maybe that's OP? I dunno.

I'd make proselytizing like taming, you check off on the colonist to convert and the priest goes about it.

They have a time per priest because otherwise the conversion mechanic would be too powerful. 

GhostData

I haven't looked into how idealogy's change yet, but my hear-say understanding is that it's similar to recruiting with a warden - a dedicated pawn activity.
Beliefs aren't mechanical like that, though, where you either have it or you don't and the only way to change it is a conscious decision.
Susceptibility to change would depend on your own belief set as well as how strongly you adhere.
Colonist A who is a zealot in a religion that abhors cannibalism is going to have his own beliefs strengthened by seeing a savage cannibalistic ritual. Meanwhile Colonist B of the same religion who is only a participant (think, back-row-baptist) may be more easily swayed. Ideally, Idealogy should be dynamic and at least partially outside of the player's control, such that pawns live their own lives and adapt naturally to the conditions around them. Don't want that psychotic cultist spreading his filthy beliefs to your colony? Better lock him up with a warden that can't be easily swayed.

I had considered a mod almost exactly like what Idealogy turned out to be a year or so back, but had other projects going. Now that most of the ground work is done, it might not be such a monumental task to add a level of simulation as well.