Insectoids and Tunnelers

Started by Grubfist, July 23, 2021, 06:42:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zgrssd

Quote from: prototype2001 on July 28, 2021, 08:11:16 PM
Here is how you deal with insects. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coFza0V8hCc

Key: Chokepoint, one good repair, few good non spraying dps, & 1 plasteel turret.
-9°F indoors. You supercooled the base anywhere but that one room, to control where the infestation spawns.

prototype2001

Quote from: zgrssd on July 29, 2021, 06:04:31 AM
Quote from: prototype2001 on July 28, 2021, 08:11:16 PM
Here is how you deal with insects. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coFza0V8hCc

Key: Chokepoint, one good repair, few good non spraying dps, & 1 plasteel turret.
-9°F indoors. You supercooled the base anywhere but that one room, to control where the infestation spawns.

Yes, but this was made before two DLCs worth of changes, back then infestations spawned and bugs appeared instantly. Now you are given plenty of time to reposition your pawns when infestation triggers, reposition them along with the plasteel turret. Cooling the base is not needed, just make a kill spot at any of the many doorway chokepoints throughout the base as necessary, just make sure all the doors where the infestation is occuring are open so they funnel to their slaughter.

I've had an incident where either the jelly or the hives just outright destroyed some of my buildings, this could be a problem which may need a cooling solution, if it keeps occuring.

Edit: also its -18f and lower or the hives don't care

robotic_gamer

alternatively if your map says warm enough year round you could just let an infestation spawn at the corner of the map. if there is no path for raiders to get to it the bugs will never get triggered to go on the attack. once it gets to 30 hives it will block future random infestations. some notes
- while random infestations are blocked, infestations from quests are not and attacking the quest bugs will trigger the blocking bugs
- deep drill bugs however can be killed without triggering them
- if they dig to the edge raids don't seem to be able to get in
- however caravans can get in to there spot
- attached is my bases infestation going 8 years strong (note I do reload when things like a colonist die)

TenNineAce

Quote from: Grubfist on July 23, 2021, 06:42:06 PM
I am aware of two major bug-fighting strategies. One is to use Vertigo Pulse, which is extremely effective, but relies on having a psycaster with vertigo pulse, something that is absolutely not guaranteed.

If you have a psycaster at all chances are they have something useful. Blinding pulse reduces melee hit chance, chaos skip can pull them off your people, etc. Once with some teamwork I managed to blink a psycaster in, berserk a megaspider, blink out, and watch it fight all the other bugs without ever agroing on a colonist. But yeah, in general vertigo pulse is my go-to and I buy psytrainers for it whenever I can.

I have two strategies for you:

1. Animal ganking. Train anything, even rats, to attack and send dozens to take the place of your melee fighters in your scenario. They will almost certainly die, but better them than a colonist. Once an enemy (any) is engaged in melee with someone it won't stop attacking them to chase someone, so your shooters can retreat to a safe distance once the animals arrive.

2. Shoot from afar. if you have people near the infestation when it starts, use the time before bugs arrive to have them deconstruct walls and uninstall furniture where they can to give your people a clear shot from as far away as possible. Then have your melee fighters line up right in front of your shooters. By the time the bugs get to you they will hopefully be weakened enough that the team can take them out before they do too much damage to your front line. You can also snipe them in the right circumstances, if your shooter is a good hunter they be able to stealth it.