[1.3] Rimworld crashing on Mod Load startup

Started by kjades, August 23, 2021, 04:39:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kjades

Hi everyone,

after formatting my laptop (where I could play without any problem) and reinstalling Rimworld, the game keeps crashing on me when I try to load an old save file for which I need to activate a specific set of mods (which I used to use without any problem until a few days ago).
The load order is right, everything appears to work fine (every mod show the green "v" tick).
When the game prompts me to restart, it loads up to "initializing", then it crashes and a window pops up, saying "RimWorldWin.exe has stopped working".
The details are the following:

Problem Event Name:   APPCRASH
  Application Name:   RimWorldWin.exe
  Application Version:   2019.4.26.14636
  Application Timestamp:   608b1eb4
  Fault Module Name:   UnityPlayer.dll
  Fault Module Version:   2019.4.26.14636
  Fault Module Timestamp:   608b1fea
  Exception Code:   80000003
  Exception Offset:   00b04d04
  OS Version:   6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
  Locale ID:   1040
  Additional Information 1:   0a9e
  Additional Information 2:   0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
  Additional Information 3:   0a9e
  Additional Information 4:   0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

What I have tried so far:
- uninstalled and reinstalled the game
- Download Delete_RimWorld_Registry_entries.reg to erase all registry entries related to RimWorld and then delete the content of the Config folder (as suggested here: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=4805.0 )
- selecting manually the mods to load from the "mods" in-game option and restarting the game
- loading the old save file and clicking on the "load mod list from save file" option
- Force a re-install (as also suggested on the same page above)

Apparently nothing has worked, the game keeps having the same issue.
Any ideas how to deal with this nuisance?

Here's the link to the save file:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/13p9970p9og4zr8/Unity%20II.rws?dl=0

By the way, thanks for giving us this amazing game.

kjades

Ok, going through some trial and error...I am starting to believe it's related to the mods, even though ALL of them appear to be working properly (and all of them are 1.3 updated).
I have tried activating a few of them, then a few more, and so on...the game started fine until I activated the last batch. Then the crash occurred again.

I have unsubscribed to all mods and re-subscribed only to those I know I am going to use.
The game is still crashing.

Now I am verifying the integrity of game files once again...

Any ideas?

Canute

Hi,
before you do another uninstal/reinstall/verify you should check if the vanilla game (no mods) are ok.
But since you formate and reinstal window's i don't think there is any problem.
I don't think either is a driver issue, because Rimworld would do a real crash instead just to stop working, or you would have weired grafics.

So i highly think it is a mod issue.
But why it don't work now but before it is hard to say.
Rimworld got some minor updates, mods got updated. Maybe the modlist you wanted to load from your safegame got trouble now with all the current updates.

You should read the 2.link from my signature to get some tips and start to create a new modlist that is at the end similar to your old.
Maybe you find the mod which let rimworld freeze at this way and can avoid that mod or ask the mod author about it.

kjades

Thanks for the feedback Canute.

So, after trying for quite some time I could identify the faulty addon.
Apparently, the loading screen crashes were somehow caused by LWM's Deep storage
(I honestly don't know how or why, but I have already reported to the modder nonetheless).
I was happy I could go back to the game...

BUT

I could not load the old files. The game would stop working when I tried to.
Back to the start it is then.

I tried launching a new game (and still had some random crashes, here and there for apparently no reason). Eventually I managed to start a modded game...

BUT

I could not save. Every time I tried to I got a pop-up window saying there was an issue with the folder or something similar. After trying to save one too many times, the game crashed again (all this, while the antivirus/firewall was deactivated).

I am starting to think that's Randy playing tricks on me.

Canute

Just curious, could you post the logfile when you try to start a new colony ?
Prefered the hugslib upload. Even when no mod need hugslib, just add it to your modlist.
Then at the logwindow use the share log button or press CTRL-F12 and post the link.

kjades

So, after trying several other things (among which also trimming down the number of mods I was using to only the simplest, most QoL ones) I still couldn't figure out what the issue was really about, as the crashes kept occurring randomly.

I tried then unistalling everything, Steam included, erasing all the folders, and reinstalling every little bit. I can now apparently play, even though I haven't tried to pump up the number of mods as much as I originally wanted to (25ish mods).

In case the game crashes again I will upload Hugslib reports as Canute suggested.

As for what the issue was really due to, it's a mistery.
Thanks nonetheless.

Canute

That you got crashes with that few mods is very untypical.
You should try at first to disable all mods to check if the vanilla game is ok.

When you got error's with no mods active, then there is something wrong with the installation.
Most common problems with steam are old version files.
Uninstal don't delete these files, you just should delete the complete rimworld installation, and reinstal/repair it.

QuoteI could not save. Every time I tried to I got a pop-up window saying there was an issue with the folder or something similar.
An issue could be that the right managmant of the saved data folder is corrupt/write protected.
When you still can't save, you should delete the Ludeon folder at AppData\LocalLow. There is a button at the options which lead you inside, just go 2 folder above to get to Ludeon.

Canute

Hi,
QuoteI don't know what to do.
At first reading the topic from the beginning and follow the hints i allready gave to the other user.

andree23

Quote from: Canute on August 25, 2021, 03:10:50 AMHi,
before you do another uninstal/reinstall/verify you should check if the vanilla game (no mods) are ok.
But since you formate and reinstal window's i don't think there is any problem.
I don't think either is a driver issue, because Rimworld would do a real crash instead just to stop working, or you would have weired grafics.

So i highly think it is a mod issue.
But why it don't work now but before it is hard to say.
Rimworld got some minor updates, mods got updated. Maybe the modlist you wanted to load from your safegame got trouble now with all the current updates.

You should read the 2.link heardle from my signature to get some tips and start to create a new modlist that is at the end similar to your old.
Maybe you find the mod which let rimworld freeze at this way and can avoid that mod or ask the mod author about it.

If you can identify the problematic mod, you can try reaching out to the mod author for assistance or search for any known issues or updates related to that particular mod. They may have suggestions or solutions to address the compatibility problem.

rosydam

Quote from: kjades on August 28, 2021, 01:32:35 PMSo, after trying several other things (among which also trimming down the number of mods I was using to only the simplest, most QoL ones) I still couldn't figure out what the issue was really about, as the crashes kept occurring randomly.

I tried then unistalling everything, Steam included, erasing all the folders, and reinstalling every little bit. I can now apparently play, even though I haven't tried to pump up the number of mods as much as I originally wanted to (25ish mods).

In case the game crashes again I will upload Hugslib reports as Canute suggested.

Thanks nonetheless.

me too and i feel really helpless with this mess
ovo game

kelseyradley

I appreciate you sharing your wisdom and understanding on this subject. You wrote a really helpful and well-written io games post.

sarahly

Quote from: kjades on August 28, 2021, 01:32:35 PMSo, after trying several other things (among which also trimming down the number of mods I was using to only the simplest, most QoL ones) I still couldn't figure out what the issue was really about, as the crashes kept occurring randomly bob the robber

Thanks nonetheless.
The problem becomes complicated and reaches a dead end when a solution cannot be found.