"Dirty Cooking Area"--how much space do I need to tile?

Started by Suda ya, August 25, 2021, 02:48:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Suda ya

I'm scouring the wiki and I can't find any info on what the game refers to for the "cooking area" and therefore I'm at a disadvantage when trying to make it clean. My stove is in my main area, I'm not about to tile something like 16x10 in sterile tile just on the off chance of it. What am I looking for?

เอสเอ เกมมิ่ง

Canute

Not 100% sure, but i think it is based on the room.
Since the cleaness is a room stat.
As the food poisoning become a major problem serveral releases ago i started to create a 5x5 kitchen between my main room and the walkable freezer.
You should think about similar once your main room is floored.

AileTheAlien

The room that the stove is in needs to be tiled; It's not a radius or other area as the info text implies. If you're short on space, the cheapest option is to have a 2x3 room just for your stove, right beside your freezer. I usually have them a bit bigger, so I can squeeze 2-4 stoves in the same room as my colony grows.

Ark

Press t and g to toggle beauty and room stats display, mouse over the room. Dirt is ugly so it's easier to spot. Give an "useless" pawn a broom and make him your janitor.
Kitchen should be a fairly small room next to your freezer, preferrably tiled with sterile tile or metal tile, but any flooring apart from straw will do. And even straw is better than dirt.
Some buildings are also inherently dirty. Don't have them in the same room with your stove.

BuildingCleanliness
Electric crematorium-20
Butcher table-15
Stonecutter's table-5
Art bench-5
Spike trap-5
Fueled smithy-3
Electric smithy-3
Hydroponics basin-3
Machining table-2

Jeimss

I found some info on the wiki here:
https://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Room_stats#Cleanliness

The bigger the room, the more filth you can accumulate without having a big penalty on cleanliness.
I think a room of 5 x 5 is the smallest cost efficient room.
Smaller and just a spot of filt on the floor and it become unhealthy. Bigger is better but it cost much more too.

Alenerel

Just have the stove in the kitchen and nothing else like the butcher table. If you dont mind, if you dont put floor over it, the natural dirt wont get dirty and wont get you food poisoning.

In my case I always use a 3x3 kitchen with sterile floor and almost never got food poisoning. Just be careful that your pawns dont use the kitchen as a hallway, or it will get dirty very fast.

Ark

Dirt, aka soil, does get dirty in 1.3. Because people didn't bother making floors in 1.2. Overall it feels like there's dirt and trash and animal filth everywhere now.

Demoulius

Given the return on investment of actually making a floor, id consider making one if you arent seriously strapped for resources. Material doesent matter that much to be perfectly honest. Unfloored is just overall bad.

*It adds to the beauty of a room. Meaning the pawns inside the room for work are happier. I dont think it effects the overall quality of work, but a cooks who break down less is more productive and adds to the stability of your colony. Add an artwork or two and good armchairs for an even better beauty and comfort rating. Your cooks will never break down again and keep the meals coming!

*It means the room doesent get dirty as fast. If your kitchen is a secluded area where only the cooks move through (which ideally it should be) having a dirty kitchen area should hardly if ever be an occurance.

*Their movement speed is faster which might seem a tiny boost but a kitchen is generally used alot so over time it might help you produce a meal or two per day more which adds up over time.

Again, for the small price of flooring the bonuses are pretty big compared to the penalties for not doing so.

Canute

About floor material,
any metal tile got a cleaness bonus of 0.2 too.
That isn't that good like a sterile tile with 0.6 but it is much cheaper and early to build.

Demoulius

Thats a good point.

Wood floors and concrete have a 0 cleanliness modifier but are alot easier and faster to place down. Which makes them a valid option to place early game. If you just want to quikly place a floor to remove dirt thats a good option as well. If you then later want something more suited you could always replace the floor at a later date to get a bonus to that cleanliness.

If all that is happening in your kitchen is your cooks moving back and forth with material to cook, it shouldnt get dirty very fast honestly.

kokesher3

Quote from: AileTheAlien on August 25, 2021, 10:25:15 AM
The room that the stove is in needs to be tiled; It's not a radius or other area as the info text implies. If you're short on space, the cheapest option is to have a 2x3 room just for your stove, right beside your freezer. I usually have them a bit bigger, so I can squeeze 2-4 stoves in the same room as my colony grows.

AileTheAlien is right. I do that same with a 2x3 room to be quick at the start and expand it later down the road, I put sterile tile down as soon as I research the tech.
I'm a pawn with 15+ Social and always willing to help :)
My Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/kokesher3