Raider meme sucks, suggestion(s)

Started by Locklave, August 31, 2021, 06:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Locklave

Raider meme needs to do more. It's like Supremacy with requirements and a massive global production penalty.

Allow the meme to ignore Tainted for all clothing. Because no raider is crying about wearing a dead mans boots or anything else he had.

It still needs more however, that global production penalty is pretty brutal for a lousy mood buff. I'm aware that it causes more mini camps to spawn near you, that's not a big boon imo.

RawCode

memes are not designed to be "balanced" and some precepts are self imposed challenge.

khun_poo

Raider meme are my favorite meme though. While they may look alike but Supremacy meme are unable to use with Loyalist, Guilty, Individualist and Collectivist if I remember correctly. While Raider can combo with any other meme.

-8% and -16% penalty to work speed from raiding precept is just fine. They just take a bit longer to cook, craft, build, etc but didn't effect the final product quality anyway.

It's match the playstyle that player like to travel a lot (caravan or any creative method you could think of) to raid other. They will feel grumpy if they didn't mug someone for a while. So, they don't rely much on farming or hunting in the colony map because they could loot from other and gather on the world map. Which make the harsher area like desert or tundra easier to get resource like veggie and meat.

Still, it's a bit meh that other meme could raid other outpost or faction as well without the mood buff but they didn't take work penalty speed.

If I would suggest, I guess Raider ritual reward could have an option to summon the random outpost like the Ancient structure too. Since sometime the outpost that randomly pop up on the map are an allied faction.

ChirpScree

I completely agree with this. I wonder what they're true purpose are.

Locklave

Quote from: RawCode on August 31, 2021, 07:08:39 PM
memes are not designed to be "balanced" and some precepts are self imposed challenge.

I'm afraid I don't subscribe to that line of excuses. Which is exactly what that thinking is. We can already adjust sliders to increase challenge and we can adjust precepts to do the same, there in controlling balance and challenge. The meme themselves should provide something of substance both beneficial and penalty wise that is thematic and more enables their related playstyles. They should thematically support with actual game mechanics the colony playstyle the meme entails. They should all provide a reason to justify there existence beyond challenge excuses.

What it looks very much like is some are simple undercooked. Trashumanist/undergrounder/Pain is virtue and Cannibal are all examples of a meme that aren't half finished ideas. It's quite clear which memes had time put into them and which were like the Raider meme "oh I don't know they wanna take things so global penalty to production and mood bonuses for raiding".

Just to put the final nails in the coffin of the entire premise of what you are saying, because I find it intellectually offensive, tell me why people who want the raider playstyle without more challenge aren't allowed to take that meme? A meme designed for them. Have a harder game if you like that playstyle...

RawCode

QuoteI'm afraid I don't subscribe to that line of excuses.
this is exactly what developer said.

just like nasty biomes like ice sheet that provide no rewards for increased difficulty.

Locklave

Quote from: RawCode on September 02, 2021, 05:29:38 AM
QuoteI'm afraid I don't subscribe to that line of excuses.
this is exactly what developer said.

just like nasty biomes like ice sheet that provide no rewards for increased difficulty.

Biomes aren't a playstyle.

If you aren't going to make a serious reply then don't bother.

RawCode

QuoteBiomes aren't a playstyle.
+
Quoteserious reply

let me guess, as long as my reply does not fit your personal opinion it's not considered "serious" right?

lot's of people do not understand "design" behind Rimworld, for such people workshop and mods exists.
https://youtu.be/VdqhHKjepiE

Locklave

Quote from: RawCode on September 02, 2021, 07:15:29 AM
QuoteBiomes aren't a playstyle.
+
Quoteserious reply

let me guess, as long as my reply does not fit your personal opinion it's not considered "serious" right?

lot's of people do not understand "design" behind Rimworld, for such people workshop and mods exists.
https://youtu.be/VdqhHKjepiE

I'm talking about a single specific meme, not memes in general, you start talking about precepts (off topic) making massive generalizations about the overall game design (off topic) effectively dismissing everything I said with lazy generalizations. I make a serious response and you quote 1 line talk about biomes (again off topic) like it has anything to do with the context and specifics of this thread.

"lot's of people do not understand"
I couldn't eyeroll harder.

Topics you don't like should be lazily dismissed as "people who do not understand" the game. Because you believe your opinion is the only correct one. You are projecting that on me.

RawCode

before rolling your eyes really hard, you should run the game and check how exactly memes are implemented, you can have raiding precept without raiding meme.
(and memes do nothing on they own)

you should research subject a little bit before arguing with people.

Locklave

Quote from: RawCode on September 03, 2021, 02:19:44 AM
before rolling your eyes really hard, you should run the game and check how exactly memes are implemented, you can have raiding precept without raiding meme.
(and memes do nothing on they own)

you should research subject a little bit before arguing with people.

Thanks so much for pointing out that it's not even linked to the Meme further proving my point on how half baked the meme is. Why does it even exist if it isn't required and does nothing. Seems like you overlooked that little point. Raider Meme is a half baked Supremacy Meme.

Seems my thread is still on point. But feel free to keep up the "L2P" type arguments.

I'm sorry, did you say Memes do nothing? I'm certain that a number of precepts are locked behind a Meme in addition to specialized jobs. A number of technologies can only be accessed if you have the Meme unlocking the precept required by the technology.

Might I suggest that you should research a subject a little bit before arguing with people? It might help.

RawCode

number of technologies?
really?
and what is that number?

robotic_gamer

some possible buffs
- combat buff (accuracy, rate of fire, etc)
- ability to train combat stats (punching bag, target practice, surgery practice)
- remove/reduce the 67% death on knockdown for enemies
- easier time converting/recruiting prisoners
- long range (multiple over map tiles) artillery strikes

edit: typo

Eichkater

I tried it with fluid ideologies and must say that it earns too many points too easily. You just make bank on developement points each time raiding some farming site.

Locklave

Quote from: RawCode on September 03, 2021, 08:37:13 AM
number of technologies?
really?
and what is that number?

Transhumanist alone has a bunch. Go look it up yourself if you want to refute things, I'm not your servant.

Quote from: robotic_gamer on September 08, 2021, 06:22:26 PM
some possible buffs
- combat buff (accuracy, rate of fire, etc)
- ability to train combat stats (punching bag, target practice, surgery practice)
- remove/reduce the 67% death on knockdown for enemies
- easier time converting/recruiting prisoners
- long range (multiple over map tiles) artillery strikes

edit: typo

Actual combat training would be a real solid option. Even a bonus to guns/melee learn rate would be valuable, anything to actually make them better at the thing they do.