Could there be some tweaks to the build menu categories please?

Started by AnActualDuck, September 04, 2021, 02:52:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnActualDuck

Misc is feeling a little cluttered, don't you think? At first I was thinking about how some of it could be moved to other categories, like furniture, but furniture is feeling a little cluttered too! Here's some things I'd do to possibly help clean things up a bit. If I missed something feel free to chastise me. Or if you just generally think this is a bad idea you may also chastise me. Also, I'm attempting to avoid creating dlc specific tabs and instead distribute the dlc content throughout vanilla tabs

Since a lot of Ideology content fits well in furniture, I think it's best to separate out some furniture categories otherwise we're just shifting the clutter from one category to another. For starters, create a Lighting tab where the lamps, braziers, torches, and their darklight counterparts can go.

Next I'd make a "Decorative" category for steles, drapery, dressers, end tables, plant pots, skull spikes, gibbet cages, shrines, reliquaries, and ideogram. Potentially the grave and sarcophagus could go here.

This frees up the primary furniture tab to be basically your tables, seating, and bedding. So ideology seating can be moved here. I'd also consider placing the lectern here since it links with seating. I'd personally move the tool cabinet out of misc and in to here or the decorative tab as well.

Other things I'd move to non furniture related areas: the loudspeaker, lightball, and drums feel as though they could fit better in the recreation category. Dance parties to count as recreation, afterall. I'm sure other ceremony items could also be placed in recreation as well (effigy, christmas tree, incense shrine, bong). I'd also put the pen marker in structure because for whatever reason it feels right to me there.

There, this keeps the amount of architect tabs to an even number and redistributes stuff in a way that feels sensible to me. There may be a better way to do it, but I just feel like the misc tab is getting a little too thicc and this is my two cents on how I'd do it.